Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Thank you.

Any word about how to contact Mr. Schooley yet?

2. gearguy

gearguy

I passed along all the contact info to Gary last week. Hopefully he will have time and interest to get back to you guys.

3. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Since I spend most of my time in FL and only work on the Edmunds CBM-7 midget restoration when I am in OH, progress is slow. But everybody likes shiney parts so I thought I would share. Just got back from the plating shop - some chrome and some polished nickel. Rear end is rebuilt and ready to go. Start preliminary build tomorrow.

Blacki-Suede

Attached Files:

4. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Thank you for your assistance

5. KKx125

KKx125

Hi,mate, Did you have Hydrogen-Embritlement Treatment done on Chrome Stressed components, ie,axles,steering components, Good luck Restoring & Enjoy .Gordon.

6. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Before I hurt myself or the midget, is the bolt on the end of the tapered axel left or right hand thread?

7. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

On my Halibrand tapered rear axle the threads are right hand on both sides. Took a good impact wrench to get them loose. If you are removing the hubs, make sure you leave the bolt in place (loosened up of coarse) and a washer larger than the diameter of the ID of the hub. We had to heat our hubs to pull them off and when we applied the heat the hub shot off of the axel like a bullit.

Blacki-Suede

8. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

No I did not have the Hydrogen-Embritlement Treatment done. Don't plan to race the car. I have done all kinds of Street Rods with many chrome steering and suspension components, nothing has ever broken, of course I do not race them either.

Blacki-Suede

9. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

10. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Have an extra EVM tri drive cover for a Chev2 midget, gonna go on ebay if non of you guys need it. (also fits later Iron Duke) PM me if it will work for your restoration. Putting a photo in the classifieds, sorry for the double post, everythings working slow today...

11. DocF

DocF

If one is restoring a Chevy II or running with a group that makes them still a viable choice, this is something you need. The Eggers and Vetting drives work well and actually fit quite nicely.

We also used a Barker drive off a Ford V8-60 with a homemade front cover on a couple of Chevy IIs. This was more problematic, but made a very tidy install.

Doc

12. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

#42 Looks like Gary Irvin in the car formerly owned by Bob Higman

13. DocF

DocF

Um, there are 142 pages of posts and probably thousands of photos on this thread. Could you mention the post number which includes the photo?

I knew Gary Irvin's car fairly well. It was originally built for the Shannon Brothers. A great car.

Doc

14. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Sorry I didn't mention the page, I'm new to the site. On P.3 - The #42 looks like Gary Irvin in the former John Ramp/Bob Higman Offy. The #87 on the same page is the second Ed Loniewski Offy.

15. DocF

DocF

Yes, you are right on both counts. The car that Irvin was running at that time had inscribed on the dash "Shannon Brothers Offy". I do think we are talking about the same car.

And the 87 is most assuredly Loniewski's.

The kind of ratty numberless Chevy II is John Deering shortly before he destroyed that car. He climbed a wheel, flipped it end for end, shucking the engine out of it before he hit anything. He sustained a broken finger and a chipped hip bone in that piece of stunt driving. I was stooging for him that day. Unfortunately, I was also stooging for him when he died at Jackson, MI.

Doc

16. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

The Shannon Bros, Offy was formerly the Toshlog Offy, according to Gene Shannon, before that it may have been one of the Morcroft Offies, according to Bob Higman.

17. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Anyone recognize this car, and the name of the owner?

Attached Files:

18. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Does anyone know who owned this car? The driver is Bob Breading.

Attached Files:

19. TommyA19

TommyA19

Weren't cars like that # 2 so good looking?

20. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

The Hardwood Door car did run at Flemington in September of 1956. Chuck Rodee was the driver.

21. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Chuck Rodee in the Hardwood Door Spl. at Flemington. Date was Oct. 7,1956.

Attached Files:

22. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Monkaz, The USACers used to come east for the Langhorne 100 miler, Trenton 100 miler and the Williams Grove 100 lap races in the 50's. When Trenton started the 250/300 milers they came for that too. In 1963, USAC was trying to put the hurt on ARDC and scheduled 4 races with stars like Parnelli, Marshman, Branson, McGreevy, Grimm, running at Islip, Old Bridge, Wall and one other I can't recall. These followed the Trenton 150 race.

23. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Jim, In July of 1963 USAC ran a four race series at: Belmar, Islip, W. Lebanon and Seekonk. Parnelli won at Belmar and W. Lebanon. Ronnie Duman won at Islip and Chuck Rodee won at Seekonk. I attended the Islip and Belmar races - great racing!
    Jimmy Davies, Roger McCluskey and Bob Tattersall were also on hand for the series.

24. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Funny Monzak, I have the results of the Wall races, July 22, 1963
    Grimm, Beck, Duman, Davies Branson... qualifying order

Fast qualifer was Bob Harkey

Jones won the feature followed by Wente, Davies, Duman, Rodee, Sweedler in Harry Turner's car, and Harkey

Is Wall in Belmar?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  25. Buildy

Buildy

Yes,Wall Stadium is at Belmar NJ.

26. That car was owned by a gentleman named Lew Morgan who lived in Parker, Indiana. The photo is from the pit area at the Armscamp Speedway near Alexandria, Indiana which Mr. Morgan also owned for a time.

27. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Do you know who bought the car from Lew Morgan?

28. TommyA19

TommyA19

If I'm not mistaken, I was there that night with my father. One and only time I went there with him, too.

29. Sunshine14

Sunshine14

took these a few weeks back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Sunshine14

Sunshine14

So awesome to see the run
    [​IMG]
    all these shots where taken threw the fence