Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Regarding Hillegass grilles and noses, I will post photos of some on cars purported to be Hillegass.

At this point in time, there were so many knock-offs, recreations, restorations, and amalgamations that one would need to do a DNA test to be certain.

Attached Files:

2. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

More

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  3. DocF

DocF

As I recall, the cast grills were most common on cars built to run Fords. Two of the West Michigan racers I knew had Hillegass midgets. I know the nose and grill on Hank Dumon's tube frame Hillegass was like the ones shown here. Bob Zomerhuis had a Hillegass that was built with an Offy and it had a grill and nose that looked more like a Charlie Peck nose, but more rounded and with a larger opening. At this distance from those days, I cannot recall if the grill was built up, but I believe it was. When that nose was destroyed in a crash, Bob grafted on a Peck nose which looked like it was designed for the car.

We used a nose on one of the Chevy II cars we had that came from Freddie Fuhr in Hastings, MI. He said the mold for it had been made off a Hillegass. That nose did not look one bit like the ones pictured here.

Doc

4. gearguy

gearguy

Speaking of great looking midget noses: I just finished reading George Benson's book. The guy built some great looking cars. A very interesting book.

5. Tradefreak

Tradefreak

I'm a newbie to the forum and need some info about my Van Blerck-powered midget if possible. I've already put a call in to Bill Scarince Jr., but have not yet heard back from him. I don't think my car was owned by his father. It has a British Austin grille and front-end; may have other British Austin parts. It was commissioned for restoration by George Shelly, who owns one of the "Dancing Daughters" MGs from the early '30s and other race cars. I got the car from George, who bought it from a guy in the Tampa area. George claims the car was part of the Harrah Collection until its liquidation in the early '80s. I'm hoping somebody has more info on previous owners and where the car raced, as well as the years it raced. See my album of pics. Thanks. Jeff B.

6. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Love the pre production line early rail frame midgets, that's a nice one. Good luck with it.( assume youv'e seen the history books, like Jack Fox's, and Crocky Wright's) they would be a good place to start....

7. Zoera

Zoera

Hi all. I'm over from the vintage modified forum here on the HAMB, and just discovered your forum on vintage midgets. I'm looking for any photo of my late uncle and godfather, Michael 'Sparky' Belmont, who drove midgets after WWII before switching to stock cars in the late 40's. I know he drove midgets at Candelite Stadium, Bpt., West Haven Speedway and Cherry Park in CT., but have no other info. Sparky passed way in 1968, and any info or photos would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.
    Richard Belmont

8. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Jeff,
    Bills son still owns his fahers Vaan Blerck

9. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

I kove the also, I got a bunch. Here are a pair of early Willys powered midgets,

Attached Files:

10. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Zoera, Welcome to this site. There is also a vintagesprintcar HAMB site you may like. As for Sparky there may have been pictures on this site but I'm pretty sure there are folks on this site that can provide pictures and or info on him. I didn't know him that well and only raced with him at Plainville and Riversidea couple of times. I do know he was colorful and well liked by all.
    If you go to this site...speedwaylinereport.com..and click on (Dave Dykes racing through time) I think some of the back issues have had pictures of Sparky.
    Denny Z

speedwaylinereport.com

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Local car and driver, Norm Rapp looking incredably young. Hap Jones was the San Francisco Harley dealer.

Attached Files:

12. Zoera

Zoera

13. TommyA19

TommyA19

No driver named Belmont is listed in Crocky's book about Hinchliffe Stadium.
    The only mention of him, in Crocky's Midget Auto Racing History - 1945-1951, the gold book, is that Sparky is one of several drivers that attended driving schools back in 1947. No mention of him racing anywhere, per the drivers index. Some others that attended were: Johnny Kay, Buddy Chase, Bob Minor, Lou Fray, Cliff Riggott, Fred "Jiggs" Peters, Nick Fornoro, Pat Donahue, Gene Cady, Belmont, Bill Stout, Bill Storms, Cy Sanders and Paul Tongren. That info is on page 110.
    Note: I've asked many times how many drivers are still around that ran at Hinchliffe back in the late 40's, and so far two names - Jack Duffy (if he isn't the one fatally injured in the 40's and Bill Claren. Lou Fray, named above, is still with us, I believe and runs with ACOT. There's a Jack Duffy still racing TQ's (and winning, I believe) down in Florida, but I'm not sure if it's the one that ran at Hinchliffe.

I would have posted earlier, but just got out of the "Crash house" on Friday, my visit caused by some health issues.

14. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I saw Lou Fray run his midget last year at Whip City with ACOT. He appears to be in good health so even though Whip City is closed I assume he is still running with ACOT somewhere. Denny Z

15. Ed Duncan

Ed Duncan

Tommy Elliott in the Vittucci Offy an Roger Bailey in the Girisi Offy

16. Ed Duncan

Ed Duncan

17. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

18. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Ed, Pictures are missing. Denny Z

19. TommyA19

TommyA19

Hey gang, I'm a member o fthe Yahoo! Race History Group and I just got this in my e-mail:
    "Group: As of last week, the registered car count for the 4th Darlington Historic
    Racing Festival, September 23-25,2011 was low. If we want to continue to have
    this track facility available for vintage racing the count needs to be in the
    range of previous years 110 plus vehicles. I will be glad to e mail an
    application for the event. Please contact me off line @ [email protected]
    Thank you for your consideration.
    Bob Coolidge
    DeLand, FL"

20. Zoera

Zoera

TommyA19, thanks for your response. No one's left in the family with any info of Sparky's early career, but thanks to the internet, I've had input from several people who helped (especially Dave Dykes and Denny Z) and were there. I'm trying to document as much of his career as possible. Do you know where or who ran the midget racing school back then?

I met Lou Fray several years ago at Rhinebeck, NY, and was amazed with the stories he told me of the midgets and West Haven Speedway (my hometown). He's a colorful character and a true gentleman and still drives his blue & white midget at vintage events around the East. I think he might be at Waterford Speedbowl this Saturday (July 30) for the yearly vintage event. Last time I attended, I saw plenty of vintage midgets, as well as the modified stock cars. They will all have track time on Saturday afternoon before the regular racing card at 6:00 PM. (I'm hoping to have the former George "Moose" Hewitt # 19 modified there for the NEAR display).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I believe Lou won the final midget race at West Haven Speedway.

[​IMG]

21. TommyA19

TommyA19

Zoera, in 1947, Bill Tuthill opened up a driving school at the West Springfield track, under the direction of Harvey Tattersall, Jr. with Bill Dils and George Fonder as instructors. That had to be a heckuva ride for Fonder from Landsdale, Pa. The ARA also had a driving school at Freeport, with Andy DeVercelly and Andy Furci as instructors. There were other driving schools, too - one I know of was at the Middletown NY track with Johnny Ritter as the instructor. Did you see the photo of Sparky that was sent out today via e-mail from Pete Poodiack?

22. Zoera

Zoera

TommyA19, thanks for the info regarding the driving school. I'm familiar with Harvey Tattersall Jr. (who's father Harvey Tattersall Sr., ran West Haven Speedway/Donovan Field). I'm not surprised that he was involved in promoting midget racing in New England early on. A true showman.
    Yes, I got the photos from Pete Poodiack. I'll post them if its okay with Pete, who didn't stipulate either way.

23. gtxrider

gtxrider

24. It's less than 30 days until the 2011 edition of the Winchester Old Timers. 2 days of track time and new this year is NO pacecar and Saturday night bench racing session at the Randolph Grill in Winchester, Indiana.
    This is your chance to drive on the World Famous 1/2 mile high banks.
    August 20th and 21st. Info at:
    www.winchesterot.com or PM me here on the HAMB.

Come join us as we make history at Winchester Speedway....

HG :cool:

25. doctordarryl

doctordarryl
    from NJ

Latest model build. The Ken Brenn Offy (blue car) that Rodger Ward drove at Lime Rock in 1959 to win the Formula Libre race.

Decals from Scale Auto Details. Krylon Short Cuts Bonnet Blue airbrushed over Mr. Surfacer 1200 primer.

Attached Files:

26. Old Sprinter

Old Sprinter

Great work! You know how to capture the proper detail of the car. I have no idea how you are able to see and build in 1/25 scale. I can barely do 1/8 scale( three times bigger) One thing for sure is we both love the good old days of midget racing.

27. DocF

DocF

On the midget madness board, there has been a post lingering about an ancient midget that needs a loving home and restoration. I think this may be a very valuable car. Here is a link to the post. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Doc

http://www.midgetmadness.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20982

28. gtxrider

gtxrider

Just bought 1 and it will be yellow as it was when Johnny Ritter owned it

29. sideways27

sideways27

I am wondering if someone on this site may be able to help me with an old (very old) front quick change in-out box. It was made by Bell Automotive back in the 30's. I have it in my midget and do not want to damage it as it is all origional and in good condition, I have not found another one like it. My problem is how do you oil or lub the front bearing that is infront of the sun gear? The front section is seperate from the quick change center portion of the box. It has a greese fitting on the front section but I dont understand how this can lube the front bearing. The front bearing is shielded on the motor side but open to the in-out box side. The last time I ran the car it started making some noise so I shut it off and have now taken it apart to find out how to cure this problem.:confused:

Thank You,
    sideways27

30. DocF

DocF

This sounds a bit similar to the Ambler box we had behind a Ford V8-60. As I recall, we had to pull the box apart and grease the bearing and then reassemble. I guess one could work grease into the bearing while it was in place, but that might be difficult.

Doc