Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

TQs

Attached Files:

2. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

Williams Grove, Pa action

Attached Files:

3. Bob McCoy is very much still around. He shows up at various shows through out the year selling his art work. He's always at the LARS Father's Day show with a booth.

4. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Dug up some more T/Q's.......

Attached Files:

5. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

another batch.........

Attached Files:

6. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

A few from Ascot park early 70s driven by Roy Cook and Jeff Haywood
    Spoke to the builder of these cars today
    I understand the modified is running half of a flatie
    Said he cut it in half so as to run a four banger
    More info as soon as I get it

Attached Files:

7. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello,FANG<FANG><FANG>. Love the badger III Thanks. Got any more photos of them badgers? :D

Attached Files:

8. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

FANG, What's a flatie? Denny Z

9. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Stan...you are correct. Here is a very interesting note from Bill Scarince Jr. who is pictured in the #9 on my original post and who has probably run as many Vintage race meets and over as long a period of time as most anyone still active today, first in the Van Blerck, then his #99 Flat Head Banger, Big car and now also the #22 Gene Cunningham Ranger Big Car he and Scott Miller are keeping actively running since Gene's passing.

Art
    By 1937 my father had built two of his midgets, # 7 & # 8, they were both Van Blercks. # 8 was sold to a promoter who was buying a group of cars that he planned to ship to South Africa. Drivers were hired which included my father. Just prior to shipping out, my father crashed and ended up in the hospital, the cars and drivers left without him.

My father decided to quickly build another midget and get back on the track. Ben Cook, Sr. had a frame and some body parts which he purchased and assembled with American Austin front and rear end. Naturally he dropped another Van Blerck into it.

After the war the car was updated, this included new front axel, rear end,quick change, and a headrest. The engine was beefed up too.

That&#8217;s the genesis of # 9.

That is the car pictured in the post which Bill still has but does not bring to meets anymore

I'll post Ochtrup photos here of all the three cars, even though two are OT. Bill in the first two photos, Gene in the third, all taken in the mid to late 90's.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  10. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

A little help from the TQ guys.

I found this picture of my father in a TQ. I never knew he had ever driven one. I am trying to identify the car and owner, which is probably the guy standing behind.
    It is from the fifties @ Freeport, NY.

Thanks..........John

Attached Files:

11. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

This may sound wierd but I had a great uncle who was killed in the late 50's I believe at OK city fairgrounds not sure.His name was Jimmy Peavy. You guys ever heard of him. Just wanting to find out what happened to him and if he was any good. I'm kinda distant from that part of my family and the others won't talk about it or don't know.

12. scarylarry

scarylarry

My buddy John Peters (Jiggs' nephew) sent me an email to let me know Paul Barzda passed away. Paul was Joe's brother & Jimmy's Dad. Sorry to hear this as I wanted to get the car together and take it to Jersey to show him.

13. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

Scratch that his real name was Leon Peavy and it was 1949 at Ok City. Wouldn't you know did a search and found a little info here on the hamb. Apparently he was pretty good

14. the shadow

the shadow

another stupid question for you guys....in restoring my old midget I am useing a v8-60 & stock ford trans for it. My question is did the use the stock rear trans mount ot remove the mounting ears & leave the back of the trans hanging off the engine? M chassis has frame tabs for the front engine mount & a mid mount behind the lower engien bell on the sides but no evidence of any old trans mount tabs + I believe a mount would interfear with our legs to boot!
    Paul

15. TommyA19

TommyA19

16. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Somemore A/C shots.....

Attached Files:

17. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Another set....

Attached Files:

18. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Final set.....

Attached Files:

19. Surfref32

Surfref32

Here's the 1962 Junior Indy 250 Mile Race at Trenton NJ program as promised back in Feb...

Attached Files:

20. Surfref32

Surfref32

Here's the rest. There were a bunch of ads and a couple of reprints of pictures from the year before I didn't include.

CTtoPA, Any luck with the picture of Pappy's trailer?

Attached Files:

21. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Atlantic City TQ action from the 70's. enjoy! :D

Attached Files:

22. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

23. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

This may be the car I started my TQ career in I was told at the time it was the old Bob Dini car.

24. doctordarryl

doctordarryl
    from NJ

Just thought I would throw this up there to see how many older east coast folks are on this forum. I was raised near Allentown, PA and have a fondness for racers from the Lehigh Valley. Here is my latest Revell Midget model build. Pink race cars are not too common and this one was owned by Charlie Sacks (from Allentown) and driven by the Clown Prince of Racing - Eddie Sachs.

The decals will be available from Scale Auto Details in the nxt 30-45 days.

Attached Files:

25. TommyA19

TommyA19

If I'm not mistaken, the Sacks # 18 was a Sprint Car, not a Midget? Of course, I could be in error here. When it was a Sprint Car it had a Hal engine. Charlie Sachs did, or had, engine work done on it so it didn't need head gaskets. A groove was made around each opening in the heads and copper wire was pout into the grooves. Or maybe the grooves were in the block, which would be more reasonable.
    Nevertheless, a great job on the model!

26. Buildy

Buildy

Great job on the model!

The Sacks Sprint car was a Hillegass with a HAL engine. Not sure if Sacks had a Midget,along with his Sprint Car.

I`d like to see someone come up with a kit to make the Revell midget into a stretched Midget Sprint Car!

27. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

I'm pretty sure there was a midget. Len Duncan may have been the driver.

28. TommyA19

TommyA19

Duncan was the main driver in the Sacks Hal Sprint Car.

29. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

30. the shadow

the shadow

Here's some pics from my 1959 trenton speedway program for the 1st Jr Indy event, + a pic of my grand parents handing red reigel his trophy for winning the ronny polis memorial race at hatfield in I believe 1962?
    Paul

Attached Files: