Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Pudgedaddy

Pudgedaddy

More of the same above.

Attached Files:

2. Pudgedaddy

Pudgedaddy

Continued from above

Attached Files:

3. Pudgedaddy

Pudgedaddy

If anyone knows where a guy can find an old cromwell helmet I'd sure like to get one.

4. Pudgedaddy

Pudgedaddy

These are photos of my Roaring Roadster replica that is a tribute to my Dad and Uncle. This is why I am looking for an old Cromwell helmet.

Attached Files:

5. Buildy

Buildy

"How badly I wish I was around for the ARDC of the 40's and 50's"

You left out the sixties. I have a feeling you would have liked that decade,too.

6. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

That Hough 80 is from Cherry Park for sure.

7. scarylarry

scarylarry

Thought I would try this one more time on this giant thread! We've started on the chassis and still looking for a photo. It is the car in the photo below..

Attached Files:

8. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Larry,
    C`mon up. I got some here. I even have the pattern for the tail top it will fit inside if it`s Hillegass. It has original front axle and T radius rods. The only difference is the high tail on mine. the top is the same but the sides go up longer. Hilly only made a few high tails.
    What is the cowl band on yours? Hillegass used a square 1/4`` bead fixture that he got from the Emmaus boiler works. I should mhave some of that up here if you need it.

9. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

see post# 1940 2nd photo is Bill Eldridge in the #21 Mike Scrivani offy @ Thompson Speedway.

10. TommyA19

TommyA19

Post 1947 - photos - I believe the # 17 is the same car that Al Keller drove - the Turner # 17. That, and the Eddie Allen # 18 both had silver numbers. Yes, the photo of the # 80 was taken at Cherry Park in Avon, CT.

To the "young" fella that missed the ARDC "back in the day" - you would have had a blast, believe me.

11. TommyA19

TommyA19

Back on this date - March 5, 1960, which just also happened to be a Saturday, my future wife and I attended the final indoor TQ race (for the season) at the Teaneck, NJ Armory. I keep saying that "back in the day" we didn't worry about snow, or the forecast for snow, somehow we'd get to the races. We had a short trip, really, from where we worked in the Grand Union food store in Monsey, NY to the Armory in Teaneck. But some of the drivers came from Lawn Guyland (as Lenny Calinoff said it) and from PA, too.
    We never missed an indoor show and when we left the Armory at night, we'd order our same seats for the next Saturday - backstretch, front row, opposite the S/F line.
    To maybe prove that we didn't worry about snow and how much we had, check the first paragraph in the link, below:

http://www.wheelsofspeed.com/report/3_5_60-1.html

12. TommyA19

TommyA19

As for the photo of Nick in the Allen 18 - pretty sure that was taken at Danbury when they raced on the track that was inside the moat. Notice the "white" track color, and how far away the stands seem to be?

13. scarylarry

scarylarry

Thanks Stan, I'll get with you soon. It's been crazy busy, but I want to have the car together for the convention this year. We WILL talk soon! Larry

14. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Hi moe#69, I too, wish you the very best at restoring Bob Lockard's Badger midget. I've uploaded a few of when Johnny Parsons, Jr. and Rich Vogler drove the car. I hope that when you get it done, it still says, "Will County Auto Wreckers" on the hood!

Attached Files:

15. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Unfortunately this coming Sunday I must travel to Las Vegas for the obligatory Company Sales Meeting.

Any one out there that can give me a steer to any amenable vintage midget people with whom I might be able to regain my sanity for a few hours Tuesday the 15th of March sometime between 1:00PM and my airline departure at 7:00PM?

16. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Check out Fabulousracers.com in Henderson looks like some nice offy midgets to look at. never been but cars look good on the web page.

17. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I could be wrong, but I THINK this place is in the Vegas area ..
    http://www.carusomidgetracing.com/index.html ..
    but they do NOT seem to list a location or a phone number on the Web Site.

Maybe someone here will know more or maybe a Vegas phone book might help?????? :confused:

18. gtxrider

gtxrider

A Badger on dirt! That seems weird....

19. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

28 dreyer,
    Look up MICAR machine shop. Thats Mike Caruso`s company, he is a great guy and I`m sure he would be glad to show you his stuff. Tell him Stan Lobitz sent you.

20. TommyA19

TommyA19

Micar Fabrication and Design, Inc.
    5166 Arville Street | Las Vegas, Nevada | 89118
    Our phone number is [702] 871-4300 and our fax is [702] 220-8603.

Found the above, here: http://www.micarfabrication.com/

Betcha they'll be thrilled to have you stop in for a visit. After you tell them Stan Lobitz sent you, tell them that Tom Avenengo sent you, too. Brian Caruso and I are always e-mailing back and forth.

21. TommyA19

TommyA19

22. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Thanks to Paddybuilt and Ken Schou yesterday, I spent some time on the internet and phone and made arrangements to visit both places on Tuesday.

Looks like I'm saved, and my trip will provide some pleasure after two days of concentrated exposure to Company dogma.

Stan and Tom...I'll greet Mike and Brian for you.

23. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

28dreyer ..

If you would, PLEASE give us your thoughts on both places when you return .. and "if" you can .. maybe a few pictures too.

THANKS!!!

24. TommyA19

TommyA19

I checked out the Fabulousracers.com website. I find it quite ironic that there are two midgets down there that competed here in the northeast with the ARDC - the Bourgnon 12 and the blue & cream # 10 that Henry Renard drove.
    Also found out the # 12 was the third Kurtis Offy midget built - being built in 1946.

25. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

That bourgnon 12 isn't the original chassis. Look at those 1/4 torsion bars just ahead of the rear wheels in that Deer Park photo. Not present on the museum car!

26. TommyA19

TommyA19

There a page # and post # for that photo of the Bourgnon 12?

27. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  28. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I wonder how long the sanctioning organization allowed that to be on the car???

Not long, I bet'cha!!!

[​IMG]

29. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

30. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Cool yes!! THANKS.

It also gives an idea of how very far we've come as far as safety.
    We're always learning .... still more to go, probably will always be .. safety wise that is.