Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. gearguy

gearguy

We decided to go "old school" on our paint job this year. The guy who spent 8 hours masking our checkers is kicking himself for not just getting a can of that special paint!
    Everywhere the car goes folks are amazed it isn't vinyl. A little boy ran into the pits after the races, dragging his father behind him, to go see the "taxi car."

Thanks to Phil Rider for the great photo of qualifying at Sun Prairie on 5/16/10.

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

Attached Files:

2. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Anybody know if someone makes vintage midget silhouette decals?

3. Spike Gillespie

Spike Gillespie

CT - PA I might be able to help you out, but you'll have to be a little more specific.

Spike

4. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

5. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

[/ATTACH]
    I told you that would be the easiest way to do it.
    Stan........
    thats how we did this in 1958

Attached Files:

6. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'In response to 28dreyer's original inquiry and for Speedrome and LanceTurner who tried to help him out, here is another picture of 1946 Kurtis-Kraft Chassis #07. The pic is from Jan. 1970, BCRA Indoors at Santa Rosa (CA) with Bill Deschamps, Lakeport (CA)

Attached Files:

7. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

Ken.. Can you help this Guy?
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370586

8. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  9. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The request for info on #07 Kurtis was during negotiations to buy the car and the #7 we were provided was totally erroneous.

Since then the deal was completed and the actual numbers on the car, both on the frame rail and the rear crossmember are 101 with what looks like the top half of a 7 following the 101 on the frame rail.

The number 101 does not appear in the genealogy book.

This then Offy powered car was bought by Harry Kern and brought to Minnesota in 1957. It was bought from someone in California that had two and a double decked trailer. It carried a number 44 at that time. It ran as a #7 later up here.

Along with the spares was a Carb jet board with the name Bill Braham, #44 on it.

It later was V8-60 powered and finally Chevy II as acquired.

Given that info, anyone have any knowledge or input?

10. Spike Gillespie

Spike Gillespie

Back in April Al Consoli posted a picture of a No. 33 Kurtis Offy Roadster and asked for identification. It was Freddy Charles of course. I just ran across this picture taken at the Bloomsburg Fair in 1968. It clearly shows what the car looked like right after he bought it.

Spike

Attached Files:

11. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

Spike.. His son Johnny H. still has the roadster.

12. Spike Gillespie

Spike Gillespie

I posted that because there has always been discussion of who's roadster that was before Fred got it. It was the Vatis car.

Johnny is planning to restore the car to the no. 33 like his dad had it. At least that is what he told me a while back.

Spike

13. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Here's a car that seems to have disappeared and I'd like to know what happened to it.

The Bennett Brothers 4 bar Kurtis Offy. It was pink when "Dutch" Schaefer wheeled it to the ARDC Championship in 1965. Later it was the white Spotoil Offy .. "Dutch" Scahefer still twisting the wheel .. when teamed with the Joe Csiki Falcon in the ARDC (Bennett Brothers then owned them both). Then "Dutch" bought it and campaigned it himself with the ARDC (although Charlie Schick was the "registered" owner).

Last I saw it was in 1974, in regular competition with the SMRC, as the #76 Go Army Offy Special. The late Ed Schuman owned it then, Tommy Cochrane did most of the driving.

I've heard three distinctly different stories as to what became of it. None can seemingly be confirmed. To the best of my knowledge, the car has never surfaced.

DOES ANYONE HERE KNOW?

THANKS in advance.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  14. Spike Gillespie

Spike Gillespie

Ken, Lobitz is your best bet on this deal. Tommy shows up his place on Friday nights sometimes. Between the pair of them they should know. Paul Weisel might have a handle on this also. Ronnie Lauer another good source.

Spike

15. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Ken,
    That Bennett car was first Ken Brenn's car and I believe Johnny Ritters before that. Perhaps Brenn can add to the story.

jn

16. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

17. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

CTR\, in 1957 and 1958, Brenn had two midgets painted red with numbers 20 and 24. In 1959 his two cars were same numbers but were pink(#20) and robbins egg blue (24). I believe the bennet Brothers bought the 20 early in the season. I remember bill Randall in the 20 and Chuck Arnold too.

18. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

Is this the one you mean?

Attached Files:

19. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

more of the Vitucci offy.

Attached Files:

20. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

Here's a few

Attached Files:

21. Spike Gillespie

Spike Gillespie

Here's a picture of Lover Boy in '68. He had a bum leg and was collecting insurance. He wasn't supposed to be driving so he ran under the name of Jack King for awhile. He has a piece of black tape over his name on his uniform. You can see it in the photo. What a guy ! I really miss him.

Spike

Attached Files:

22. Spike Gillespie

Spike Gillespie

Mike, here's a couple of Bashful Bobby for you.

Spike

Attached Files:

23. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Spike has his first uniform in the mens room in his race shop. I had been using it as a hand towel till I looked close and saw that spike got it from his almost father in law Ernie McCoy. He cut all the stiches of Ernies name and put on his own. Cheap bas****!!!
    Spike knows all about uniforms.
    Stan...........

24. jimg12

jimg12

In 1966 Coxie Bowman had Spotoil on his car that Bobby Grim drove in USAC. I have a picture of me at TerraHaute in Ted Hartley's car and Coxie's car is in the background with SpotOil on the hood.
    Jim Graybeal

25. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Mike554 ..

First let me say WELCOME!!! .... Next I want to say THANK YOU for the GRRRREAT pictures you posted.

If you can, keep them coming PLEASE.

26. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Found these shots posted by LowKat and T-Head on the vintage shots from days gone by......Rich

Attached Files:

27. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Found this shot and a cool story on Rodger Ward racing Brenn's midget and beating the road racers at lime Rock on bangshift.com.....Rich

Attached Files:

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

• rw.jpg
      rw.jpg
      File size:
      57.9 KB
      Views:
    • rw-2.jpg
      rw-2.jpg
      File size:
      20.7 KB
      Views:
    • rw-4.jpg
      rw-4.jpg
      File size:
      38.2 KB
      Views:
  29. gearguy

gearguy

We took a couple of cars to the MVVR meet at Oskaloosa & Knoxville last week. What a great club; nice people, interesting cars, and great facilities. 52 cars at Oskaloosa and many more at Knoxville. 14 caged midgets the first night & 17 the second. About 8 cageless midgets both nights.

Interesting news: The Kurtis that Billy Wood won the 1959 Badger title with was inherited by the owners nephew in the condition it last raced. After the end of the 1959 season the owner parked it on the trailer & still attached to the tow car in a nice weather tight barn & covered it with a tarp. After winning the title [and 18 of 24 features] he discovered he LOST money and quit! The gang at Turner Autobody will be overseeing its return to operating condition -in its original condition as much as possible.

I enjoyed the nice turnout of VW powered cars & my old Mongrel-VW actually "won" a couple of races. One of the cageless cars had a late model VW Jetta motor in it!

Attached Files:

30. gearguy

gearguy

The Frank Kater{ski} Hilegrass-Buick which won the 100 Mile midget race on the Milwaukee Mile back in 1968 with Jigger Sirois behind the wheel is currently being restored.
    Can anyone find a photo of the car on that day to assist the restoration team? The car had a long career but that was its biggest day and it later was chopped up pretty bad.
    If photos of the actual car aren't available how about some other Hilegrass cars? Gregg Kishline is pretty fussy about accuracy and he has to make a completely new nose from aluminum sheet.
    For another project we're looking for information on Jim Clement of Merimac Wisconsin. Jim made fiberglass body panels for midgets in addition to building his own cars. I bought an Edmunds style nose, hood, and tail from him when we re-bodied our old Hamburger chassis. Anyone know Jim or what fate befell all the molds he made?

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois