Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That would make a neat business card holder with a little "tin work".

2. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Gonna look for a set of wheels at Hershey in Oct. than either use it as a business card holder or an ashtray for the cigars..........Rich

3. DocF

DocF

If one notices, the three projections on the casting by the opening are part of a hinge. There was once a cover over the opening. I think this might have been a novelty cigarette box. My grandmother had a cigarette box that sat on her coffee table for donkey's years. Prior to the mid 50s, it was considered polite to offer one's guests a cigarette. How times have changed.

Regardless, this is a neat piece and some effort should be made to find out how it looked originally and what it was used for. Then it could be restored.

Doc

4. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Doc, I Have been workin on what it is or was. Got one tip that it was an ashtray for cigar smokers,but have not found anything googling. Thats why I posted it here hoping that some of guys from the early years might have seen one.......................Rich

5. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

Does anyone know the whereabouts of the widow of Curt Lehmann, who died in October, 1957. She re-married and the last we know she was living in Chester, Illinois.

6. jconklin75

jconklin75

Sorry been awhile since I was last on here. Last track of the site till now. Anyway here are some of the few photos I have of my grandfather (Chet Conklin) from his racing days.

Attached Files:

7. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

John,
    I also have besides the number 16 twin fire, the nose off the #38 and his purple jacket.

8. Lumpy95

Lumpy95

aXe The picture of Chet Taylor was great, had forgot what he looked like, is he still around? I see he never changed the number.
    Gail was asking what year you worked for Sim?
    Thanks for stopping by it was fun seeing you again, we both look quite different
    now, I took back the shop from the kids and it looks like a race shop again, sorry for the disarray.
    I am also looking for owner stats on the Ascot Turkey night GP from 1957 to 1973, probably don't exist but if anyone has anything please post or pm me. Thanks...... Lumpy

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  9. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Lumpy
    Last I saw Chet Taylor was around 6 years ago up in Eldorado Hills a Rest home He had Alzhiemers real bad, Longest sentance I got out of Him Was ,"I dont remember anything"
    Sad to see a strong healthy guy go down that way. I am not sure if He is still alive?
    It was the year that gal a friend of Your family and Her boy friend got stranded out it the bay in their sail boat at Low tide, Name escapes Me she worked at the steak house in the PX shopping center. I dont remember exactly what year it was but had to be mid or late
    sixties?
    On second thought it had to be summer of 68 or 69

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  10. TommyA19

TommyA19

11. jconklin75

jconklin75

Do you know who drove the #16? I know from the pictures I have that my grandfather drove the #38 Hull car (the one I really would love to find). When you say his purple jacket are you talking about one my grandfather wore?

12. Zoera

Zoera

Great photos. Thanks for sharing

13. jconklin75

jconklin75

Thanks, if I come across anymore I will post them

14. TommyA19

TommyA19

Posted on Facebook earlier this evening:

SPEED Channel will air the Wind Tunnel Special Edition: Economaki- Eyewitness to American Racing History. This was the show they filmed at Hinchliffe Stadium in 2006. You don't want to miss this one...

Tonight at 11pm

15. Dave50

Dave50

Here`s a pic of the start of a friends Midget

Attached Files:

16. KKx125

KKx125

DAVE, Looks a little over capicity,and / or over weight for a midget. Speedy

17. gearguy

gearguy

I think the midget Offy was 2 valves per cylinder. It is always good to see Offy parts close up though.

18. Dave50

Dave50

Maybe it goes in his sprint car i will ask him monday but i couldve swore he said midget ....I`ll try to get some more pics. I just got done finishing the bores on that engine.

19. DocF

DocF

The midget Offy was a hemi with two valves per cylinder. The bigger Offys were 4 valve pent roof engines. There were some 4 valve midget engines built, but they were not very successful as the port area was too small with such a small engine.

Doc

20. KKx125

KKx125

DocF,I think the only 4 valve Midget engines built were actualy for Sampson in early days,but John Drake did build some 4 valve engines in the late 70s-80s. These engines are branded DRAKE on the cam box covers. Keep up the discussion, SPEEDY

21. KKx125

KKx125

A lot of tales have been told over time about Offenhauser and Meyer & Drake. One tale i keep hearing is about an Aluminium 110 ci Block ,I dont believe Offenhauser or Meyer & Drake ever went this way. Speedy

22. Dave50

Dave50

My mistake guys It goes in his INDY CAR :) Its a 255 offy I cant keep up with all the engines and types of cars he has lol Now that in think about it its much bigger than the other midget engines i have worked on for him. I am getting schooled on all his different types of cars and engines.

I believe they made a 110 i have seen the 110 a 120 ci aswell kkx and also in the indy cars even a 318ci that whooped everyone for 2 years

23. DocF

DocF

There were a few 318 blocks built. Most ran in IMCA races. I don't believe they these tall block engines were enough more powerful than the 270s to make the extra weight worth carrying.

I saw an unfinished aluminum 110 block at Higman's once. I don't know if it was factory or an independent experiment. I also do not know if anyone ever finished it.

Doc

24. KKx125

KKx125

DocF,There was a guy up in oregon that had two aluminium 110ci unmachined blocks on E Bay some time back. These could have come from Bob Higman, but i considered them to be a massive machining exercise with a probable disasterous outcome, Happy hunting ,Speedy

25. Doc , I have seen photos of a raw Aluminum Midget block also. It had Oval Ports insted of round. Don't remember if it was 2 or 4 valve.
    As for the Meyer/Drake stories John Drake did start making a lot of magniseum parts as well as alumminum main webs. I think he was trying to keep up with the big engine displacement that USAC gave the Push Rod engines. All to no sucsess when the VW 's came out.:mad:

Trentspeed can you add to this ?:D

26. KKx125

KKx125

Yes,I have a 110 crankcase that John Drake made in the 80,s which has all three webs in aluminium,similar to the Indy Drakes. The late Bob Binyon told me in 1998 when i visited him at Gualala , that some Midget Parts were made in magnesium for the U.S.air force. I did purchase a magnesium crankcase front cover which had a flat paon the bottom, as if intended for a mount. Speedy

27. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

LOOK:eek:...CHEVY II PARTS.

FYI............I have For Sale, Chevy II Engine parts consisting of a Block,Crank,Crower Rods,Pistons 1 Ready mercruiser head, 2 spare heads(stock) Mercruiser side plate,Valve cover, W/pump,rockers,lifters ,base etc. EVM injection. NEEDS assembly..$1200 located in Brownsburg Ind.Selling as package........ Thanks Tom

(315)403-4139 [email protected]

Please message me through phone or Email.:rolleyes:

28. stik70

stik70
    from midwest

Here's a '40s vintage Dreyer midget that was built with a Knucklehead Harley engine. It is stroked to 90cu in and has two Riley carbs on alky. My Dad restored this a few years' back and it resided in the Knoxville Dirt track Museum for a while.
    [​IMG]

29. Race Artist

Race Artist

I bought this snapshot at a small flea market in High Falls, NY up near Accord Speedway. There's no dates, credit or information on it. Anyone have any ideas on it?
    Joel

Attached Files:

30. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Yep, alloy blocks definitely made!!
    Two valve , oval port.
    I have one here and have hardness tested and begun the machining.
    It is of the slightly larger 120 Cu In dimensions.
    I have taken another direction (quad cam Indy car) so if some one needs one I can take some photos and e-mail them, PM me or ring :------int+613 95968851.
    Cheers Greg in Australia