Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. jimg12

jimg12

Did not know you built their engines. You have talents I still do not know about. Jim

2. QuadCam

QuadCam
    from CA

Hedley McGee built the 1st Fuel Injection for a Holden in 1955.

In 1956 Hedley together with German born driver Werner Greve, captured the World Speedcar Championship with the prototype system.

Nearly a decade later Johnny Stewart won the 1965-66 National Championship with his McGee Shell "Trackburner".

Chris McGee.

(There are photos of the cars and injection In the McGee Speedway photo Album)

3. QuadCam

QuadCam
    from CA

The #13 midget was a US car built by Roy Richter and brought to Australia by Frank Brewer. It was originally powered by a V8-60. Andy Magavin drove it with the V8-60. German born Werner Greve purchased it and after about a year my Dad (Hedley McGee) fitted a Holden. The 1st McGee Fuel Injection was built for it and they won the World Speedcar Championship with it in 1956.

Brian Darby recently did a timeline on the car's history.

http://justmidgets.homestead.com/MidgetsEvolution.html

Chris McGee

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  4. DocF

DocF

Hey Jim,

Go to the link and then find the home page. Great photo(s) of your first USAC ride. I am glad to see that great car restored and preserved as it certainly deserves it.

Doc

5. mopar92

mopar92

edited for personal reasons

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  6. Looks like it could be what's left of a much modified Kurtis. Look for a serial number on the rear cross member, or on the right frame tube in the cockpit area. If it's there, you might have to sand or scrape off some paint to find it. The glass body isn't Kurtis.

7. mopar92

mopar92

The serial number has been weathered down so bad that it's not legible. What are the obvious mods? I might actually just buy the thing... And restore it to the vintage that it left of racing in the early 70's. Either way it's still an original ole Kurtis.

8. The most obvious non Kurtis item visible in the pics is the front axle. Definately not a Kurtis axle. You need to strip it to the bare frame, and post some detail pics. It has a front spring perch. Is that what was last used, or are there torsion bars that are not seen? Is the rear set up with parallel or cross torsion bars? Cross bars would be a later modification. Check both locations for the serial number. My chassis #275 was stamped in both places. Dad's chassis #275 was only stamped on the right frame tube. You'd be surprised how much history can be learned from a Kurtis serial number.

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Appears to have parallel t-bars on the front AND a spring perch and shackle brackets on the axle (?) Don't know why they would do that except maybe they liked using a spring on some tracks and bars on others. ??

10. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Dean, are you messing with my mind with the two serial numbers?

Also note in the picture of the front of this car, what looks like parallel torsion bars with the torsion arms directly connected to the axle with no links. Should make for an exciting ride.

11. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

I see no shackle brackets on the front axle. If you take of the cockpit sides look between the uprights I have some kurtis`s with the serial no. on boths sides some on right only. Every genuine chassis i have has two drilled and taped holes on the front uprights where they screwed on the stuffer plates. Only had a few that the plates were still on but they all had the holes.

12. mopar92

mopar92

more

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  13. The #275 chassis I had was purchased from Stan Lobitz. It did, indeed, have the serial number stamped in two locations and was a 100% original Kurtis Kraft frame that had never been wrecked.

This is that car at the Tulare Thunderbowl in 1990.

[​IMG]

14. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

I think what Dean is referring to is the two Shilala style brackets for pivoting shackles that appear to be how this axle was set up with a cross spring.

Dean...you still haven't explained the second car with chassis #275

15. KKx125

KKx125

16. mopar92

mopar92

Thanks for that information. Sounds like there's a good chance I'll be able to snag and bring another old racer back to life.

17. scarylarry

scarylarry

Stan sold something!!! Wow!

18. Hi 'Rootie". Just a quick thanks again re my query. I managed to buy the June 1983 Open Wheel mag from pastpaper.com., which featured the Challenger article. This was not the one i remember, as it was a centre feature and thus, it may have been in a Circle Track feature. I am wondering if anyone out there may remember the article and point me in the right direction, as I would like to get a copy to go with my re-creation.

I really cant thank the Vintage cageless midget HAMBers enough for the hours and hours of pleasure I derive from reading all the articles and the profound depth of knowledge you have on this great sport.

Rgds

Brian

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I've got a fair collection of early 80s C/T mags. but none have anything about the Challenger. So it's probably in one of the few I don't have or maybe in another mag. entirely. (?) I assume your commited to using a Godden motor but, if not, just about any 1-2 cyl. MC motor with a integeral clutch would work just fine.

20. What is it that you need explained? :confused:

21. mopar92

mopar92

Dean, above, it reads to us as if you have you and your dads car both serial numbered 275... Two Kurtis cars on the same serial number? That's what I think they are interested in.

22. mopar92

mopar92

Dean , here is the root of the confusion.

23. mopar92

mopar92

That car was just on eBay. Heh

24. Yep, I screwed up. Dad's car is chassis #121. Guess my fingers typed faster than my brain. :eek:

25. mopar92

mopar92

Dean I knew you had to have meant another car. That was obvious. Thanks for your kurtis info!

26. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

27. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Announced last night at The PAS

"72nd running of the annual Turkey Night Grand Prix will be at Perris Auto Speedway on November 22nd!!!!!"

28. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Vintage Race Car events coming up in September in the Midwest, all 1/2 mile dirt...

Elmwood Park Speedway, Norton Kansas

September 1st and 2nd

Further information...Tom Barclay 620-538-4641

Hamilton County Speedway, Webster City, Iowa

September 7th, 8th, and 9th (rain date)

Further information...Ron Gustafson 1-800-873-1507

Southern Iowa Speedway, Oskaloosa, Iowa

September 14th, 15th and 16th (rain date)

Further information...Ned Fry 319-671-1045

Or PM me

29. mopar92

mopar92

Good info, thanks for posting. May try to make one !

30. KKx125

KKx125

Great News, A lot of Old Timers will be happy to hear Mr Agajanian is running the Traditional Turkey Night Event back on dirt. I was at Perris for the last Dirt Turkey Night when Mr Agajanian announced would move to Pavement. Hope the Competitors and Fans support Him. See you there, Speedie.