Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Check out 1955 midget Racing Annual on ebay, U.R.A., B.C.R.A, M.A.R., A.A.A. lots of good pictures shown on listing. Best

2. Here we are, minding our own business and another one falls off the turnip truck, right into our laps!

Why us???

3. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

WILL FORD OBIT.
    by Bob Marlow / ATQMRA

Will Ford, the 1979 champion of the American TQ Midget Racing
    Association, passed away last week. He was 72.

Ford, a native of Long Island, drove his own car to the 1979 TQ
    championship without a single feature race victory, staying on top of
    the points throughout the long ATQMRA season by virtue of consistent
    up-front finishes. He then backed up his championship by winning the
    first race of 1980, indoors at Atlantic City’s Convention Hall (now
    Boardwalk Hall).

His championship season was punctuated by a flip during warmups at
    Pine Brook which put him on the sidelines for that night’s racing, but he
    was able to retain his grip on the point lead despite that setback.

It was Ford who coined the nickname “the Bad Guys” for the merry gang
    of Long Island racers of which he was a part. Lamenting a string of
    officiating decisions that displeased him, Ford asked, “What are we,
    the bad guys?” Announcer Bob Marlow immediately began using the
    ironic label tongue in cheek, and the group, unofficially led by car owner
    Pete Petraitis, embraced it as their own.

Ford was 40 years of age when he won his championship, and he retired
    from driving a few years later. During his racing career he also served
    as crew chief for the Modified of Long Island racer Peggy Smith. In
    recent years Ford had been a resident of Virginia.

Services are pending, but are to be private per the wishes of the family.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  4. the shadow

the shadow

question, did you guys run stock style rubber engine mounts on the midgets back in the day or was it all solid mount? I need to know before I start making my front & mid mount plate.
    Paul

5. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Amen

6. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Solid

7. Zoera

Zoera

Thanks for posting the links...that is great stuff.

8. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Referring to e-bay listing #220987704860...

Can anyone shed some light on this engine? The description muddles about the Crosley Cobra which this is definitely not and sort of alludes to being something specially built.

Looks like an import derivation to me, maybe Alfa or Fiat or perhaps it was a purpose built special that I am ignorant of.

9. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

10. the shadow

the shadow

hey anyone of you guys have a 13"-14" flat 3 or 4 spoke steering wheel laying around that you may want to sell? I have been looking for awhile and either missing the ones that are for sale or finding larger ones. Please PM me if you can help or give me a lead on one.
    also I just posted this in the "wanted" area but figgured I's share it with you guys too:

I am looking for a torque tube bell retainer to bolt to my in/out box for my midget racer. it is a four bolt mount like the ones shown in the pictures below. Please PM me with any info on one you may have for sale or leads you may know about that you can pass onto me.
    thanks,
    Paul

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  11. DocF

DocF

If you are looking for a four bolt torque bell retainer, look at a Chevy dealer. We used one from a 52-53 Chevy in several different race cars. They were still available as recently as mid 1990s. We used them rather than the magnesium and aluminum ones made for racing as we wanted the strength of steel for this critical part.

Doc

12. the shadow

the shadow

doc,
    here's my problem, I am trying to figure out how to bolt up my cornis I/O to my existing T-tube that was in the midget originally. the rear t-ball retainer is 4 bolt to the box & to the t-tube but it does not match the t-tube sides retainer (see pics). I need to figure out if I need to change the retainer on the I/O or change the one on the t-tube side. and if so I need to find out what vehicale would I be able to match it up to. did chevy use a t-tube as weel, maybe I can just change the flange on the tube side. also it's one peice & not a 2 piece like most fords I have seen?
    Paul
    [​IMG]
    the t-tube side cover that I have (1 peice witha groove for gasket)
    [​IMG]
    this is the back of the I/O box
    [​IMG]
    here's the 2 together, they don't match but (bolt patterns)

Paul

13. gearguy

gearguy

What is the diameter of the ball and the bolt circle diameter. I have several flanges in my inventory and can help you out if you supply the dimensions.

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

14. DocF

DocF

Chevy did, in fact use torque tubes up until, I think, the 1955 Chevy. I know it was in the 50s when they switched to Hotchkiss drive (open drive line). The Offy and Ambler in and outs we used all utilized a Chevy ball, which is a four bolt unit. I think Chuck's generous offer is probably going to be the easiest way to solve your problem, though.

Doc

15. the shadow

the shadow

chuck,
    I measured the rear bell of the In/Out box and it was a 5.250" diameter with a 5.250" center to center bolt measurement across the top width & diagonaly, the center to center of the side bolts is 3.250" . the measurment from the outside of the bolt tabs is 6". I took some pics to help explain, I hope you have somehting to fit it!
    Paul

Attached Files:

16. gearguy

gearguy

I have a stamped steel piece that should work. 5.25" bolt circle with (4) eq. spaced holes. PM me with an address. It'll fit in a USPS flat rate box & be there in a few days. More trouble to collect the $5.35 shipping than it is worth. Pay it forward to someone else needing a part instead.

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

PS: I was once told midgets used '36 Chevy torque balls & u-joints. 1954 was the last year Chevy used enclosed drivelines. 1955 had open driveline. Plenty of funny stories to explain why I remember that.

17. the shadow

the shadow

Thanks chuck! PM sent !

thats the power of the Hamb!!!

paul

18. kmajka

kmajka

I will be there with two midgets and one 3/4 midget and I will be looking forward to meeting some of you there. :)

Attached Files:

19. TommyA19

TommyA19

Thanks for posting that info, Keith. I put it in my column for this week, due out on Thursday. Is there track time involved? Are visitors allowed to roam around?

20. Saw this little Kurtis in the Amelia Island show.......so cool.

Attached Files:

21. baldtireman

baldtireman

Formula One Ferrari Frames in the late 1950's-early 1960's were brazed tubing.. .. John S.:)

22. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Black Vette 59,
    that midget looks like the lesovsky Harry Hespell owned and later became the Jolly Cholly car. That is all but the front nerf bar, which is a configuration i have never seen before.

23. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Looks like the Snook Offy. Afriend of mine Dave
    Clark sold it to a gent down south, I do not know who owns it now.

24. DocF

DocF

Using any F1 car of that era as an example is not exactly wonderful. Espcially the Ferraris of that era were pretty much the least safe race cars ever built.

Rules being what they are, there must be a reason. I've seen welds done by aircraft certified welders that failed when a car was run over a rough dirt track. I also have seen welds fail from the stresses of racing on very high speed ovals. Remember, brazing is using a filler metal to fill in between two pieces of stock. It is like using glue.

If Tradin' Walt Lovett would not run a brazed frame, it is probably not a good idea.

Doc

25. DocF

DocF

It is definitely the Snook Offy. I saw it run quite often. It was always a nice looking car, although I doubt it ever looked this good.:)

Doc

26. DocF

DocF

27. gearguy

gearguy

I spent today helping Gregg Kishline and some friends assemble a roller out of parts in a trailer purchased from the Hank Jeffries estate. The car is a bit OT for this forum [probabably a 1976/78 vintage Edmunds or Edmunds kit] but the question it brought to mind might find an answer here. When did Edmunds Autoresearch switch from U shaped belly pans to the flat style found in my 1980 coil car [LWM-393]?

Thanks,

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

PS: We worked in the same shop where Harry Turner re-bodied a car for the 1946 Indy 500 and built many race winning midgets. A few feet away the famous Ernie Fredricks' midget roadster awaits a new header before starting its vintage career.

28. Spoke to the guy who now has the car,and he said it was originally owned by Cadilac Booth in 1948,in 1954 it was owned by Louis Snook,he changed the V8 60 for the Offy.Drivers included A J Foyt and Johnny Rutherford.......love the nose.....

Attached Files:

29. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

I believe Wayne Ewing built that nose.

30. the shadow

the shadow

just a quick thanks to chuck (gearguy) for hooking me up with the right bell retainer, bolted right up...Awesome!!!
    Paul