Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage Bonneville car pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dean Lowe, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Thought this was interesting:

Attached Files:

2. Chuck Embrey

Chuck Embrey

Hi Dean, last time I saw you was at the Beach Side Cafe in Covina Ca. Are they still doing the Wednesday Night cruise? I haven't been there since I moved to HB six years ago.

3. Chuck, I quit going to that cruise about the same time you did. It was getting to be less and less hot rods, and more mini trucks with thumping sound systems. I really don't know if it's still going, or not.

4. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Glad this thread came back up' I hadn't seen it before.
    Thanks for starting it Dean. Any pics of Mccain and Houtz cars ?

5. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life!

6. Offy 220

Offy 220

Dean, off topic but I was curious if you are still involved with the WRA? The last time I saw you was at an event probably at the Willow Springs Clay oval [Walt James stadium] back in the 80's. I think you were running your dad's Kurtis midget. Beautiful car - no rollbar!

7. Chuck Embrey

Chuck Embrey

Road Runner Howard Dixon ran this Pontiac with partner Doug Ray. 1960-61.

[​IMG]

Road Runner Larry Miller, Jr - 1966 SCTA Points Champion.

[​IMG]

8. Have not been involved with WRA since 1992. Didn't quit driving because I wasn't enjoying it. There became too many guys showing up with cars who had never sat in one prior to retiring and finally having the money to own a vintage open wheel car. Nice guys, but way to dangerous to be on the track with, especially without the afore mentioned roll bar. I loved running with the old timers like Prosser, Niday, and Gregory, you could trust them. I sold my Kurtis to Ron Leslie in Denver. Dad's Kurtis is in the JB Museum. I miss the action, but just couldn't see risking my neck with guys who didn't have a clue.

9. The friendly competition between my Dad and Howard Dixon was the motivation for putting the W motor from Dad's El Camino in this Studebaker. Note the car's name on the rear fender. Dad had Howard covered all through the '60 season. Then, in '61, Howard pulled the Pontiac out of his '57, and put it in a '53 Stude. Dad went out and found a Stude the next week!

[​IMG]

10. The Wild bunch racing team Tom, Marge and Tim Price. The #800 Stude started racing dry lakes and Bonneville in 1958.

Attached Files:

11. Chuck Embrey

Chuck Embrey

Jerry Tucker's ex-5 window coupe. Tucker was another Road Runner. I shot the photo in 61-62.

I'll go over to Jack Underwood's place. He has all the SCTA Results from the beginning.That should clear up whose car this is.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  12. Chuck Embrey

Chuck Embrey

True Radius Bending tank. The nose art tells you all you need to know about racing -- Speed is expensive!!!

[​IMG]

13. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

14. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

looks like this thread is morphing from "vintage..." to "general..."

15. It's not so widely known that Roy Rogers was a Bonneville enthusiast .........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Good job Toby, bringing this thread back to where it was intended! I believe the pic of the Sanchez Stude is from it's first year on the salt. It shows the fiberglas dummy head light mounts taped to the front fenders. After they smoothed and molded the front fenders for the comp coupe class, they decided to make the glass pieces to put it back in modified production class to double up on record possibilities. Not many pics around with those pieces on the car.

17. Good shots of the MG car Toby, but it's a streamliner, not a lakester. ;)

18. ^^^ Whooops ... sorry 'bout that. I had "lakester" on the brain.

19. rick finch

rick finch

20. brady1929

brady1929

there are some really cool pics here

21. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Intense THREAD, its amazin how much History there really is on the salt and I Know there is much more.
    So keep em coming!!!

22. firingorder1

firingorder1

Very interesting to see all the "blackies" left by the push trucks. Can't seem to do that these days.

23. The Summers Brothers streamliner before Goldenrod ........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011