Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Blowers and Drives

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MARTINSPEED, Nov 9, 2009.

1. MARTINSPEED

MARTINSPEED

Hey Guys im starting a 671 blown 394 project, Ive got the engine, the intake, and alot of the other goodies, but im looking for ideas on the drive setups. Im thinking cragar for a drive. Id love to see some pics, who might still have the parts (like an old school blower shop) and hear from people that have put a blown 394 together. I plan on still using a generator and water pump and i i want to keep it early 60's correct. SCHOOL ME!

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

here's a couple to get the thought process started

XP1010021_JPG.jpg Thompson%2008%20%20506.jpg scan0053-2.jpg img2299746c4c3e28ce07.jpg Edited1963HotRodMagazine2.jpg 90.jpg !BWNzZW!!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKkUEjlLmVks,BKWc4GVmNw~~_3.jpg

EVL401, alfin32, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I'm right there too
    got the blower and manifold
    a 6-71 on a '63 394
    and will be piecing together the drive setup
    I also plan on running the stock water pump
    and using it almost exclusively on the street

10-25-09 014.jpg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Tuck, EVL401, MARTINSPEED and 2 others like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

lookin good Paul!

oh....for fun....1961 Cragar catalog, notice use of "billet" pulleys back then! although they were noticeably larger than modern kits use

[​IMG]

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

my plan was to use as many off the shelf parts as I could
    and what I couldn't find, have made

snouts come in many lengths
    pullies in a variety of diameters
    and there are a few different idler setups

I'm going with the Gilmer style belt
    not only because I think it'd be easier
    but by the time the 394 was out that was the current technology

Tuck and Deuces like this.
  6. MARTINSPEED

MARTINSPEED

lookin good paul i didnt know you had gotten that far. that 394 with the engle cams sticker is exactly the look im going for other than the injectors. Beautiful engine!

7. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I just talked to Bill Dyers of "Dyers Blowers" a couple days ago and I understand he is making Crager style V-drive pulleys now for that vintage look
    Bill is a lurker on here sometimes:D

Tony

Deuces likes this.
  8. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

I was surprised to see this - apparently built like this in the 60's - I wouldn't want to be standing off to the side when it let loose.

Attached Files:

EVL401 and Deuces like this.
  9. BigJim394

BigJim394

You might have to have someone like Blower Drive Service build your blower drive. Most of the drives and parts of drives I have seen over the last 15 years at swap meets were from 394 engines used in drag cars with no provision for a water pump. Some of the ones I saw on street cars were well done. but I saw as many poorly done ones, with cobbled together generator mounts and drives. There were a lot of articles on putting blowers on engines in the 60s magazines (especially Popular Hot Rodding). You might get some ideas from those mags. I think there was even a Hot Rod little book "special" on blowers (circa the early-mid 60s maybe)

I don't think a lot of Cragar drives for the 394 were produced. I looked into this a few years ago, and places like BDS could make blower Drives for the 394 and make them look not too high tech style (or they could at that time). But dont forget to bring your wallet. Finding the manifold and blower is the easy part. I have seen nice ones done by guys who had talented friends who were machine shop pros.

10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

here's some different views of a couple of the motors shown above

the green motor isn't a 394 but the drive would be the same

the one with the Engle sticker on the covers is in the restored Stone Woods Cook Willys

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  11. I don't think they called it billet, I do recall the Ol' Man calling aluminum by its correct name, aluminum. I personally always thought that billet was a nautical term.

Paul has always got some pretty smooth stuff doesn't he?

Getting back to it something we should keep in mind is that vintage blower setups don't say BDS on them. :D

I don't have any pics but Moon also made a pretty sweet setup. if you need a brand name to make you happy.

A lot of the fellas back in the day just made thier own parts. Its not really that difficult.

12. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Crank drive :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
    EVL401, Deuces and Dave50 like this.
  13. Here's another. I thougt about using a multiple pulley drive, but went with a Gilmer drive...more positive drive than pulley's...

Attached Files:

• 108.jpg
      108.jpg
      File size:
      105.5 KB
      Views:
    • 119.JPG
      119.JPG
      File size:
      64.1 KB
      Views:
    EVL401, Deuces and exterminator like this.
  14. oj

oj

You could try JR (530-292-3368), he has a blower shop in CA and has some old stuff layin around. He fixed me up with a Brower 10-71 magnesium case on a project a couple years ago, very reasonable cost and he acted like it was no big thing. Another guy to call would be Donny Holbrook (423-894-4545), they buy and sell used funnycar/promod/top fuel stuff and it is hard telling what hes got layin around under the benches.

50John and hipster like this.

15. Damn, looks like there is someone who welds worse than me! (fins on the snout)-MIKE:eek::D

Mark Hinds likes this.
  16. sixfink

sixfink
    from Germany

holy mother,

So far I have seen chain drives on roots-blown volkswagen flat-fours (industrial chain rated at 2hp -sick!!!) but never on an Uhmerian V8 before. chain failure would surely be... well, better not think about it.

side question: some of the early anglia gassers of the early 1950's appear to have a gold hue on them blowers. Did blower housings come with a DOW-7 coating as well (if they were magnesium), or were they merely painted gold-green or was that just aging chemicals breaking down on those old photographies, changing color over the decades?

17. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

18. Diden't Tony Nancy run an Olds in his 22JR?

19. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

a crank drive is a one to one....can't overdrive it that way. But I guess a one to one works just fine.

Deuces likes this.
  20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Ooh! The Mercedes Position. I had an idea for a set-up like that on a V8 myself.

21. MARTINSPEED

MARTINSPEED

wow this is good stuff, keep it coming. id rather see threads about early blower setups and early oldsmobiles than "Show me pics of your dog!" or "lets see your photoshopped dream car!" haha thanks for the help guys. I think im leaning towards a cragar type setup and modify a few things to make the water pump/ generator work. tony save me a crank pulley hub for me

Tuck likes this.
  22. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

No problem,In stock :D

Tony

23. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

That is just NASTY!!! That's what deadly rough hot nasty sex would look like if it were a drive system!!!

24. oldtin

oldtin

I'm planning to install a 6-71 on a Plymouth B eng. (361).
    I've been collecting images of old blower and drive set ups.
    I like the simplicity of the early drives and the fact that one could be fabbed up for much less $$$ than buying an off the shelf drive snout.
    I also like the period correct aspect of the simple early drives for a vehicle that is built to simulate the past.
    Here is a link to some old drive info that I've been looking into.......
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418742

25. Von Franco

Von Franco

26. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

Here is my weiand swingarm on my 394 project.

Attached Files:

27. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Hollish Brothers mill?

28. oldtin

oldtin

Yes.

Another example of a simple home built drive. Although, I think I would prefer belts over chain.

There were many cars built with chain drive blowers for the strip. The chains eliminated slip like the cogged belts used today. V-belts work fine for a low boost street/strip engine, but a positive drive is needed for all out performance.

A lot of people cringe when they see a chain drive, but its really no more dangerous than a race bikes chain drive, primary drive or even some of the sidewinder drag cars that ran over the years.
    That said, a good chain housing and a little respect for stored inertia would go a long ways!!:D

29. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been trying to identify this one for a while.

[​IMG]

30. 392 Hemi, Isky bower drive and cragar intake.

Attached Files: