Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage altered without a radiator. Let's talk about it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad54, Dec 12, 2013.

1. we ran the fed with a rad and fan when it was on gas always ran hot then changed over to alky removed the rad and fan plugged the top hoses into the bottom hose still run the water pump but at 50% reduction now have trouble getting enough heat even hot lapping thinking about removing the pump and only running a surge tank.

2. pnevells

pnevells

Here is a close up of our motor, just a water neck and pressure cap. we use a WW2 canteen as a puke tank

Attached Files:

3. pnevells

pnevells

We bought the entire injector,pump, front cover, from Mikes Alky digger in Tennesee, he put alky nozzles in it, We put a 76 jet in as a good place to start, set the barrrel valve at 30% with a leakdown tester, and it started ran an idles well, the car did not get hot or run out of fuel so we left it alone. My son and I built this as a fun car to go to the nostalgia drags, we did not really want to do any serious bracket racing with it, as it has no electronics at all, just a mag and a starter are the only wires on the car

4. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Here`s how I mounted mine. It`s a `00 Honda Civic radiator I found on E-Bay. It`s mounted horizontally and draws air from under the car thru a cooling duct under the seat. At low speed I use the electric fan. The motor is a V-8 60, but I`ve never had an overheating problem. The last picture is of the bottom of the car showing the intake for the radiator.

Attached Files:

5. pnevells

pnevells

Curious about the River Rat water pump?, Is that like the cam driven pumps i have seen on some sprint car motors?

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

sprintcar waterpumps are crank driven (crank speed) and the oil pumps are cam driven (1/2 speed)

[​IMG]
    RIver Rat pump, this side bolts to cover the other side has a female hex that the fuel pump bolts up to.

7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I am the original owner / driver of "The Last Logghe" altered.

[​IMG]

When I had it built in the 70s I did not have a radiator or alternator. I used a 3-quart holding tank and a bilge pump to circulate water. I ran on gas. I had my crew tow me to the line, and tow me back from the top end. Then I has to charge the battery and drain and fill the cooling system for the next run.

A few years ago I restored the car (after a serious crash). I did not want to work on the car like I did whan I was young, so I added an alternator and a cooling system.

[​IMG]

The cooling system consists of a small radiator, a bilge pump, a 10" electric fan, and the original holding tank. I also added a transmission cooler with a bilge fan. This gives me just enough cooling to DRIVE the car into the lanes, make a run, and DRIVE it back to my pit space. If there is a lot of time between runs like a typical "nostalgia race" I don't have to drain-n-fill. If I go into the late rounds I do havew to drain-n-fill to keep it cool. The engine is an inlione six with 12:1 CR.

The O/T blue car is a state-of-the-art Super Pro car with both a cooling system and a thermostatically controlled cooling fan on the trans radiator. I hope this helps.

[​IMG]

8. bigjsp

bigjsp

x2 on the cooling of the tranny to aide in consistancy, particularly if your converter stall is >3500