Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vintage air problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marlar, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Marlar

Marlar

Hi all, I’m new here. I am looking for some ideas on what could be going on with my new vintage air system. Was working well for a week . Yesterday the engine died couple times, realized when compressor kicks on it kills the engine. I replaced the compressor with same problem. Also the blower is not blowing correctly. Only blows on one speed with the switch turned off. It is a 1962 bel air with ramjet 350 and gm R4 pancake type compressor. Any ideas are welcomed! Thanks

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When it dies is the compressor locked up? Too much refrigerant? Sometimes the blower will go on low when the switch goes from normal to off-go up again on blower then off. Do you have a trinary switch installed? Without and too much refrigerant it will lock up.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods

Anything in there to bump up the idle, when the compressor kicks on?

4. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

olscrounger is correct on the trinary switch. Have you checked the running pressures with guages? If you do not know the high side and low side pressures, everything is a guess.

>> "Only blows on one speed with the switch turned off." What switch, the binary switch, the fan speed switch or the function select switch (OFF/HEAT/COOL/DEFROST)? Maybe give us some more information, i.e. is this a cool only unit, or heat/cool or heat/cool/defrost?

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Marlar

Marlar

After it kills the engine you can start back up and runs fine until it cycles back on then kill it again. The compressor seems fine not locked up.

I believe it is a binary switch as it only has two leads going to it.

I charged it with 1.8 lbs per the instructions.

I raised rpm and still stumbled badly.

I will get some gauges on it today and report back .

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Please do not take offense at the following comment. When you say the “compressor seems fine, not locked up”.......what are you basing that on? If you mean the compressor belt pulley turns by hand that can be the case even if the compressor is locked internally. The reason being, the belt pulley is attached to the clutch......which is likely not engaged when you are turning the compressor by hand.

Ray

Truckdoctor Andy and Frankie47 like this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

9. Marlar

Marlar

The pressures with it running with ac on is 23 on low side, 270 on high side

With compressor off I can turn by hand and make it compress not just turning the belt pulley. It only kills the engine about half the time when engaging. When is bogs down but keeps running, the clutch is engaged and ac working.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How hot is it outside with these pressures?

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  11. Marlar

Marlar

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like it could use more cooling for the condenser.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  13. sunbeam

sunbeam

Did a vintage air in a 61 chevy used the unit that used the orginal controls went through several computers before they got it right.

14. Marlar

Marlar

This is the second computer...

15. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Correct.
    2019 07 08 Final assembly.jpg
    I simply ran out of space. There are 2 Summit 8" fans on the condenser. The large vertical coil spring is for the hood (flips forward) - not visible in this picture is the ghetto fabrication needed to move the coil spring (needed to make room for the electric fans). The cold air intake, for the carb, is on the left side of the picture. In front of the coil spring is the #6 hose going from the condenser to the receiver/dryer.

EDIT: This is an example of 10 pounds of stuff in a 3.5 pound sack...

16. Joe H

Joe H

Pull the fans back away from the condenser and add a shroud from fans to condensers. You are only cooling about 60% of the condenser, everything around them is getting no air flow when not moving. High side pressure is to high for 83 degrees outside temp. Try cooling the condenser with water while watching the gauges, if the high side comes way down and you get decent cooling, air flow is the problem. Look at Vintage Air's remote mount condenser, you will see how the shroud and fan should be mounted. 03143-VUC.jpg

17. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

How about more horsepower:D.....................couldn't resist.

18. I had a problems with my Vintage Air and I keep chasing my tail, then it occurred to me go to the horses mouth. HRP

Technical support: tech@vintageair.com

firstinsteele likes this.
  19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

AC idle solenoid increrases RPM when AC compressor is engaged, specifically at idle AC idle solenoid to increase RPM.JPG

Hnstray likes this.
  20. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN

Yes contact vintage air’s tech department. They are very knowledgeable and will help you out

firstinsteele likes this.