Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage ac repair in LA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sobastrace, Apr 1, 2006.

1. HELP! Need to find parts or a rebuild shop for the AC system in my 55 ford. Every raditional A/C shop suggest pulling out the old stuff and UPGRADING to a modern AC system in place of the old system, as it will be much cheaper. I want to keep the old square AC compressor, and I love the old AC system controls and vent. I need to either find the parts to repair, or find a decent shop in LA that does the old stuff.

Thanks,
    -Sobastrace

2. What part do you need? You can exchange the compressor at NAPA for a rebuilt, if it's a York, International Truck dealers exchange them, and they're available once in a whild on ebay. You might not be able to get an exact match, but most can be crossed over. If you are a mechanic, can follow instructions, librarys are full of all the information, just study up on it. It's not rocket science. You can prolly fing the specifics for your model of car, if you are patient and look around. You can tool up to service your own for less than a hundred bucks, given you look around for the tools, and already have a good healthy air compressor to run the vacuum pump. On the old R12 systems, the expansion valves are available, NAPA, Parts America. If leaking, condenser and evaporator Radiators can be repaired if not available in the size you need. Plumbing can be fabbed. You can convert to the epa approved refrigerant (the procedure is a breeze) and service your own, or find somebody that can, withought going to a 'approved shop'. It ain't their fault, but government has a lot of restrictions on them, and most of them don't know beans about troubleshooting unless it's in the book. Even the smart guys are still limited by the epa, licensing, etc. I do AC all the time, old and new, so if there's a particular problem, be specific and I'll try to steer you.

3. Hip

Hip

Isn't it just a matter of throwing some
    dry-ice the door in the can? :rolleyes: ;)

4. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

If you have the big square double piston York, GOOD LUCK! I've been trying for 6 years to get the correct parts for mine. Try http://www.macsradiator.com/