Register now to get rid of these ads!

VIN Verification in California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemunkee, Apr 1, 2011.

1. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Trying to get my 29 Roadster titled, and heard I need a VIN verification. Does anyone know if only the CHP can do this, or can a local police officer do this check. My brother is a cop in L.A. :D but he's not sure if it would be legal for him to do it.

2. Retrorod

Retrorod

As far as I remember a law enforcement officer can do it. Years ago when I was doing the paperwork on my sedan, a L.A.P.D. officer friend of mine signed it off for me and the DMV accepted it. Of course things may have changed since then but all it requires is verification of the numbers.

3. GJC

GJC
    from Santee CA

Talk with Nikki at California Registration in El Cajon, She will walk ya thru it. She has helped me title two cars in the last couple months.

4. AAA. ALL law enforcement used to be able to do them, but each DMV office is different as to how strict they are. Some will accept a badge number, some won't. AAA is easy and a sure thing...

5. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

It states on the Verification of Vehicle form that:
    "This form must be completed in full by an authorized DMV representative, California licensed vehicle verifier, authorized auto club, or peace officer who has been properly trained to perform vehicle verifications."
    WARNING: This from must be complete and legible to be acceptable to the DMV. Alteratioons or erasures will void this form. Your vehicle may also be subject to verification by the California Highway Patrol.

So, no, it doesn't have to be performed by the CHP. Up in Sacramento there is a certified VIN Verifier that is also a hot rodder that I use.

6. VonWegener

VonWegener

Always go to a California licensed vehicle verifier. Usually the independent registration services have one. auto club usually does not know what they are doing. Had an auto club lady adamant about licensing my F100 as a 3-axle truck - even after verifying the vin on it:)

7. Technically any law enforcement officer can do it, but having an official CHP verification can help avoid troubles. I have done both ways, and not had troubles, but make sure the form is filled out correctly!

Since your brother is a cop, try that route first. You can download the form form the DMV website.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What the CA DMV asks for can vary from branch-to-branch and window-to-window. It is so haphazard, it is beyond comical.

I have taken a VIN verification form, signed off by a non-CHP LEO, and been told that only CHP can do it, gotten a fresh number, a new window, and left with plates.

I will only deal with a private verifier now. I cannot afford to spend the whole day playing DMV window/branch roulette.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  9. When I found the original Vin on my 32 frame back in 1992, (when I lived in CA.) I called DMV and was told only CHP could verify. Called CHP and they said they would only verify complete car. I had mine torn apart. I called Sheriff's office and asked them. Deputy was at my house in 10 minutes. Verified and got the Vin changed from Special Construction but had to go to two different DMV offices to make it happen. First one said only CHP could do it. Then moved to WA. State and started the dance with verifying Vins all over again.

10. regarding the paperwork that MUST be filled out by any law enforcement officer. If any part of the form is not correctly filled out, the CA DMV will not accept. I just went through this. Make sure the officer knows how to fill the form out. Now I know.

BigMike

11. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

I would put your 29 on a trailer and drive directly to the D.M.V. they do it on salvage titles all day long!!! Set up an appointment online first!!! Worked for me. GOOD LUCK !!!!!

12. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

There are bonded verifers that do a good job. They will fill out a state form and all you need to do is go to the DMV with your bill of sale. Make an appointment and sail right threw. Maybe! We have a good guy up here that only looks at what you ask him to look at. Our local CHP has one guy that only verifies one morning a month.

13. lien sale services (actual name of company) will come out and verify it for you also.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same here, and the next appointment is in mid-August.:mad:

15. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

16. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

once i got my vin verified, i went to david whitaker at "cars" in temecula (951 694 4331). i think i paid something like $45 and he went to the dmv for me and got me my title and non-op.

fuck the ca dmv too.

17. thaugen

thaugen

"Your vehicle may also be subject to verification by the California Highway Patrol."

DMV verifierlooked at modified car and sent me to CHP. DMV does not have records of stolen vehicles/parts, CHP does, and that's why they may send you to CHP. CHP officer was willing to crawl up on trailer. YMMV.