Register now to get rid of these ads!

VIN Tag has holes drilled in it possible to get new?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony Ray, Jul 19, 2012.

  1. Tony Ray
    Joined: Sep 8, 2007
    Posts: 992

    Tony Ray

    I got a 1959 ford f100 and was wondering if anyone reproduces or if there is a way to get a new vin tag.Before anyone jumps the gun, my truck currently has the vin tag on the firewall, the problem is some past previous owner decided they would drill the fire wall from the inside for the heater hoses or something, and of course the holes go right through the middle of the vin tag.
    I am trying to get the body cleaned up and would like to get it ready for paint but to be honest, the holes really bug the shit out of me and I want to fill them up and do something about the vin tag. If it cant be done,or not legal I will just deal with it.. but I thought I heard once that someone reproduced Im hoping for more information or a direction in which to look or find out how to go about getting it legally fixed.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  2. Terrible Tom
    Joined: Feb 15, 2010
    Posts: 580

    Terrible Tom

    You could check E-Bay for a reproduction tag, but I don't know if you can legally switch tags. Maybe if you always kept the old one with it. Check with the Dept of Motor Vehicles.
  3. i got mine on ebay. stamped the numbers in it and carry the old one in the truck just in case. they run about $4.00 on fleabay
  4. cseay1949
    Joined: Jul 18, 2012
    Posts: 18

    from Elkwood VA


    there are a number of places that do restore/reproduce serial/vin/data plates, but 99.9% will require some proof of ownership to that vin number

    1948-1952 Ford Truck "Patent Data Plates" are sold by the likes of Dennis Carpenter, and have a spot for the Serial No. that you can stamp yourself, but it is probably a lot different than your 1959 tag.

  5. NMCarNut
    Joined: Nov 28, 2009
    Posts: 632


    As stated there are several sources for data plates and as long as you are not changing the information it shouldn't be an issue. Your biggest problem will be finding a plate that is the correct style so may be your best bet. The only reason replacing the plate could be an issue in the future is if the frame serial number has been obliterated - the place where any good VIN inspector would be looking anyway.
  6. johnboy13
    Joined: May 1, 2007
    Posts: 1,073


    I could be wrong, but VIN tag should be on the inside of the glove box door for that truck.
  7. 40FordGuy
    Joined: Mar 24, 2008
    Posts: 2,907


    Johnboy13 .... yes it is,...AND on the driver side frame rail, just ahead of the firewall. There was one in a friend's shop last year.

  8. Tony Ray
    Joined: Sep 8, 2007
    Posts: 992

    Tony Ray

    thanks guys! ill look into it!
  9. Tony Ray
    Joined: Sep 8, 2007
    Posts: 992

    Tony Ray

    looked into it.. saw the vin number stamped in the passenger side frame rail, but the one in the glovebox is missing...

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.