Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical VIN search question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Xman, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Xman

Xman

I have the VIN from a car I had back in the 60's and would like to search for the current owner. Is there a way to do this without getting scammed? Is there a privacy issue?

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You cannot.

No DMV will disclose ownership information.

3. At one time the DMV gave out addresses.Then Stalkers used them to help find old girl friends,old enemies etc,and get even.That was the end of the free locating service.

ted kovacs likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, the privacy act made it illegal for them to give the info out. For the exact reason that Irishsteve stated.
    A cop can't legally run a vin or plates unless he has a viable reason to do so.
    Truth be known if some clown showed up on my doorstep wanting to know about a car that was in my name that he had come up with the info in that manner, my lawyer would have someone's heads rolling.

5. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

In California, there use to be, and maybe still is, a procedure to do what you want. At one time , perhaps 15 years ago, I was trying to track down a car at the California DMV. They wouldn't give me any information but what they did offer to do was send a letter I wrote using a form the DMV provided. I wrote on the form that I had owned that car at one time and that I would like to talk to him. I provided my phone number and address on the form. Since the DMV was mailing/forwarding the form I wouldn't know the name, address or anything else about the registered owner. It was up to the registered owner to decide if they wanted to reply or not. There was a cost associated with doing this... I think I paid $10. I also had to provide personal identification (driver License). That was in California, 15 years ago. Your state may differ and even California may have changed their rules. But , it is worth a try.

kidcampbell71 and hemihotrod66 like this.
  6. 73RR

73RR

Waaaait a minute.....you are actually thinking that customer service from a public servant is available...:eek::eek::D
    That looks like a pretty simple procedure and an easy $10-$20-$50 for the state so, no, it cannot possibly happen.

:(.

Hnstray and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Why search for someone? Think about their privacy.

MO54Frank and gimpyshotrods like this.
  8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Perhaps the OP would like to buy the car back , perhaps the current owner has considered selling but has no offers , could be a win , win ! Why is everyone so negative ?

9. X-cpe

X-cpe

Because of the world we live in! The lowlifes among us have learned to take advantage every tool that was designed for just and honorable people to use. Actually that goes from time immemorial, they just have a wider array of tools now and these modern tools give them greater anonymity.

egads, hemihotrod66, warbird1 and 2 others like this.
  10. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

When they control your life ,"they've" won !

loudbang and Gasser 57 like this.
  11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Um, No.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No. That is faulty logic. Please tell me that this was some sort of attempt at sarcasm.

If we failed to do our due diligence by not passing laws to protect ourselves, "they" (whoever "they" are), would have a paved path to victory.

Do you leave the keys in your car, engine running, doors unlocked, everywhere you go?

No? Then, by your logic, "they" already won.

13. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

You used to be able to go online and put in a license plate number and find out the registered owner in Washington State but no longer. I think you can still find out the information but you have to file paperwork with the State and a reason to know.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

This “ privacy “ thing seems kinda overated to me? I hear it all the time, but I get telemarketers calling me all the time. I have advertisements invade my electronic devises all the time, pop ups galore!
    But if I got a phone call from someone that might think one of my 85 cars might be his and wants to buy it, I for one would welcome that call. A Hellva lot better than a telemarketer that I can’t understand! But we’re kinda more friendly here in the South! Lol

Bones

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Gasser 57, porkshop and Hnstray like this.
  15. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

How is privacy over rated? Do not invade my privacy.
    There is a reason there are laws on the books to prevent this.
    Who cares about the telemarketers? If you don't know how to deal with them, maybe you don't need a phone.

Boneyard51 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  16. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Looks like this thread is headed 'South':rolleyes:

chopped, hidez57, egads and 4 others like this.
  17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Cause some of ‘em have good reason for wanting to not be found! :D

Ray

gimpyshotrods and egads like this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

So I'm your 22 YO hot looking young daughter, I pull into Starbucks for a cup of 12 dollar Latte. Someone walks up, looks at my VIN through my windshield of my "cute car" and contacts the DMV and has them send the following:

"I'm sending this message through the DMV. You car would be perfect for my daughter, we saw it and she fell in love with it, and I just can't resist not trying to buy it from you"
    So, I contact the "father" and agree to sell the car at a price that I am happy for! Let's meet!

Anyone see what could go wrong with this situation?

Let's do the reverse, I'm your 82 YO Grandfather....okay?

chopped and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  19. If y’all think the police can’t run your plates for no reason,,,you are sadly mistaken .
    I’m not running the police down,,,I’m just saying you are living in fantasy land .

Tommy

Gasser 57 and Boneyard51 like this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

They can, in the patrol unit, but not at the station.

Here's what I know...things may have changed..

When my dad was alive, we were avid firearm collectors, he was at one time in the Sheriffs Dept, then a Baliff in the Marshalls office, he had a lot of friends. So when he or I would come across a firearm, we could make a call and have the serial number verified to make sure it wasn't stolen.

This was up to the early '90's here in Ca.

So, in the 2000's sometime I called my buddy to run a number for me, "can't do it Mike unless I have just cause and a report to attach to it".

Now I realize I'm talking about a firearm, and we're talking about cars here, but I'm willing to wager that an officer would have to be in thier unit, and then call the plates/VIN in and get info...not just head to the Station and start doing random searches on plates w/o proper paperwork that woud have their name attached to it.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  21. Xman

Xman

I thought I'd like to see what ever happened to a 34 3W I built back then and if the current owner would like info only I have about the car.
    Sorry I asked the question!

stillrunners likes this.
  22. Budget36

Budget36

, wait

Nothing to be sorry about, sometime folks just have to be reminded about the world we live in, you had/have good intentions. Not everyone does and that's the issue with life today.

Remember when you could buy a part off an ad from Hemmings? You'd send a personal check, when recieved the seller would go to the bank, verify funds, deposit/cash it, then mail your stuff to you. You'd get what you paid for.

Now, heck even after 20 pics, paypal, etc...you can lose your money.

23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Uh OH, shut it down.

24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Flatheaddave, I do know how to deal with telemarketers, but lately they have got real creative! One thing they do now, I don’t know how, but the number comes in as a local number. So you answer it, thinking it’s a local calling, but it’s some foreigner that can barley speak English! As soon as I hear that type of talk, I just hang up, if I don’t have my air horn handy.

Bones

25. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

They can, but that doesn't mean they are supposed to be doing it. In most if not all states they can get in big trouble if they're caught running plates without a good reason.

Hnstray and Boneyard51 like this.
  26. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Here’s the problem running just a number, with out the car, gun, motorcycle, etc, in your possession , is if it come back hot, you have to produce the item! Most of the time, when you run a registration , you need to run a check to see if it’s stolen. We used to call them 28 and 29.

I always have a check run on most anything I buy!

Bones

73RR likes this.
  27. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I know what you mean. They are crafty assholes. I normally don't answer my phone if I don't recognize the number and then they hang up after the third ring without leaving a message.
    If I want to play, I try to keep them on the line as ling as possible asking them stupid questions or I'll put the phone by the tv speakers.
    I always ask where they're located. It stuns them.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  28. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

No. It's good conversation.

Jack Nicohlson in a movie called "Going South"

29. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yeah, using up their time is the best way, but it takes my time! Sometimes I have the time and I start trying to sell them something! Sometimes I ask them to repeat that, I can’t understand you, I can get them to repeat it sometimes ten times! Sometimes I just lay my phone down and see how long they will wait. But the one I like the best is putting a loud sound in their ear, I know they are wearing a head set, in hopes of causing permanent ear damage. Hazards of being a telemarketer!

Bones

30. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Boneyard51 likes this.