Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Vin numbers model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banditomerc, Mar 25, 2019.

1. banditomerc

banditomerc

Gentlemen,I am considering a half built hot rod '31 model A...there is no title...no problem...the problem is there are no visable vin numbers..or maybe in looking in the wrong place..I'm normally in the custom world but am considering stepping out of my comfort zone..so,where do I look for vin #..thanks

Sent from my SM-J727T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Prior threads on this subject indicate there is (or was) a serial number stamped into the top of the left frame rail but hidden by the body as it is under the cowl. The body needs to be lifted from the frame to see it.

Perhaps there are other locations and a Model A authority will happen along here and provide additional info.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    dana barlow likes this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

On top of frame,left side under were stock cowel bolts to frame close to firewall{ They are covered by cowel stock,an often rusted out. This is were they were on each Model A ,I've played with. If it has the factory "A" motor that came in it,the same # are on side of block about center near head leftside.

4. rusty valley

rusty valley

yup, left frame rail. they are often worn and only become visible after sand blasting. engine block too if you have it

5. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

...I am no expert on the subject but a search on the H.A.M.B about vin numbers/titles will answer your questions along with questions you did not ask , such as putting vin numbers on a frame etc etc. miller

6. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Here's where there's a leap of faith..... do you buy the car hoping the stamping is on the upper rail behind the left cowl foot or pass? In CA they do not recognize the engine # as the VIN, so you would have to have the body off for a VIN verifier. The good news is they have been fairly good about marginal stampings. Lightly sanding, acid, etc to bring the numbers out is often acceptable. You're lucky, you have Officer White at the Santa Ana CHP office available for field VIN inspections (by appointment). He's good and knows what he's doing with vintage/classic cars. The alternative in CA is Special Construction which isn't a fun option.

7. I've lived in California all my life and this is the first I've heard of this.......

8. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

When the vin is all straighted out, stamp the numbers in the frame ahead if the firewall. Don't forget the star.

9. 5window

5window

I'm pretty sure there are one too many "no"s in that phrase. Lots of Model A's with titles to choose from and no problems.

10. banditomerc

banditomerc

Thanks to all...Lots of sound info guys...upon further inspection of model a in question....I'm going to pass...I just picked up a nice '40 chevy coupe...

Sent from my SM-J727T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have a 'rare' over the counter parts Model A frame that was never numbered.
    Big bummer.

12. Also check over at fordbarn.com

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Correct. Save the hassle. Buy one with a title.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All problems. The laws regarding VIN/serial numbers and out-of-system vehicles changed last November.

If there is no DMV record of this car, it will need to go to CHP, by appointment, for a serial number inspection (now called a VIN). They will only inspect a complete vehicle, and the definition of complete is up to THEM.

Private verifiers can no longer do out-of-system vehicles. A few too many people were gaming the system.

I'd steer clear, or make the seller get a title, and then buy it.