Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vin location for 54 Chevy wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mikey's Pinstriping, Oct 31, 2010.

1. I have a 54 chevy wagon that has been titled and registered every year since 80 when the previous owner bought it but I cannot find the vin tag. Last registered and inspected 09. I've heard it could be on the frame, engine and or door jamb but there is none on the door for sure. Any help is appreciated

2. squirrel

squirrel

drivers door hinge pillar, should be a 1" x 3" stainless tag spot welded on.

3. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Lets say he doesnt find it there. Does anyone reproduce the tags?

4. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know how other states work, but Arizona has state assigned VIN tags that they issue when the original tag is missing and you can verify that you own the car.

I think there's a law that says something not good about making your own vin tag.

5. wizzard23

wizzard23

I'm pretty sure Chevy used the engine # for VIN until 1955. I know our 50 was that way. The KS. inspecter used the # that was on the tag on LH door jam for new title. Luckily, I had the original engine stored when he came to inspect to prove that was the Original VIN. He issued new title since we had installed a SBC.

6. squirrel

squirrel

Chevys had a VIN. Some states used the engine number on the title. On the 50 the VIN would be on a metal tag screwed to the driver door hinge pillar.

7. billygoat67

billygoat67

squirrel is right. there is a company on ebay that is selling a reproduction blank tag but they are $125.00 or so but you can stamp your #,s and fasten to the door jam and be done. they are stainless steel and held on with small spot welds on 53 and 54's . one of my 53' the tag fell right off because of rust ,mabe thats what happened to yours .
    hope that helps,might want to find a 54 and see what the tag looks like before you buy one and then you'll know where they go before you mount yours.

8. I thought so but it isn't on the drivers door pillar on this car. The car has had inspection stickers because the guy drove it daily for years so the inspection stations must be using the numbers from previous years sticker or from the engine. I have the title and was issued to previous owner in '80. Another kustom car mystery.

9. squirrel

squirrel

what's the number on the title? replace the last few digits with xxx to protect your privacy

That could help us figure out if it's an engine number or the VIN.

10. I just checked the number on eng with title, no match, although the engine ends in F54Z like on title. Like I said, the guy had the car since late 70's and drove it until 09 so must be okay. And it is a custom with a chopped top. Guess I'll have to explain the vin tag situation to the next owner.

11. squirrel

squirrel

strange, the F54Z number should be from the engine in a school bus?

The VIN would be a letter A thru D, then 54, then another letter for the assembly plant (Z is not one of them), and then the 6 digit serial.

12. I'm guessing the engine came from another vehicle then. As stated before, the car has been on the road for 30 years so even without a vin tag should be okay. Probably best to run antique plates. I got a title to the car in his wifes name dated 1980 and I guess that's all that matters.

13. Mullda

Mullda

I know that when I got my '54 Sport Coupe, I couldn't find the VIN tag on the driver's A pillar. Hunted all over and asked several people. Finally noticed that the tag had been taped over when the car started getting a repaint. The tape was slick when painted over it just looked like part of the bodywork. Peeled it off and there it was.
    That's probably not your scenario, but it had me fooled for a while so I thought I'd mention it.

14. squirrel

squirrel

with a chopped car, the tag probably got removed and maybe lost during the chop job.

15. 52HardTop

52HardTop

The tag that is being discussed is not the VIN. That tag on the door jamb is actually a serial number that lists the model of the car as well as it's factory location and it's place in the sequence of numbers when it was assembled. Ironically if it is still in place it is now used for VIN when registration today. Originally the motor number was the VIN when the cars were first registered. As most original engines have long been swapped the serial numbers on the tag are now used for VIN. One other bit of info. Hidden VINs were first stamped on the chassis in 1955. You won't find an original stamped VIN before then. There was some evidence of a stamped VIN on a chassis of a 50 convertible recently discussed on Chevy Talk. Other than that it is accepted that 55 was the first year for hidden VINs on the chassis.

16. I really appreciate all the help.

It doesn't bother me not having a vin plate. If I were to keep it, it would be antique tags anyway but I'm sure when I try to sell the car no vin tag could be an issue. Since the car has been on the road for 30 years and tagged must not have been a.problem before.

The car even had personalized Texas plates on it when I bought it.

17. squirrel

squirrel

Chevy thought it was the vehicle serial number back when they made the cars, but not every state did, so some states used the engine number for titling/registration.

[​IMG]

18. Thanks Squirrel, I think you answered my question. I just hope I can sell it without any probs.

I'm pretty sure the original engine number is what is on the title and since this car was radically customized the engine was likely swapped like Squirrel said.

Since it has been registered and driven for decades I don't see a problem. But you know how some people are when buying an old car.

19. what no pictures?:eek::rolleyes:

20. This be it...

Attached Files: