Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Video => Throw Out Bearing Bad?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dicer2000, Aug 11, 2016.

1. dicer2000

dicer2000

Hey Guys - I've got what I think is a bad Throwout Bearing. Agreed?

If so, do I pull the engine? Or the rear end? It is a '28 Model A with a 39 transmission. Obviously, I'm new at this and this will be my first time of pulling either. I guess I have to learn sometime.

One other thing to make it more complicated, it's got a GM 181 engine. So, I guess that means it has a GM clutch + throwout, right? (Not a Ford)

2. Since you have the cover off, did you try greasing it? It sounds dry.

3. to me it looks like there isn't much throwout bearing left.
    what is the bar going across the tranny? if that is a non removable body cross member you probably don't have the room to pull the tranny. i usually pull the rear to change a clutch.

4. dicer2000

dicer2000

>> did you try greasing it? It sounds dry. Yes, did try greasing it. No luck. I was wondering if the grease actually greases the throwout or just the side-to-side movement of the assembly??

>> bar going across the tranny? It is removable. So, I guess I could pull the back end off, then unbolt the trans, then pull up through the cabin. Is that how you do it? Or just back it all out through the bottom?

5. F&J

F&J

grease won't fit that noise. On a stock Ford bearing, the shaft and the bearing gets grease, but who knows what mix of pieces are in there, with that engine.

I'd put up pics of the car/engine/underside etc, to see what the vote is on how to do the work the easiest way. Just saying that we don't know if the trans can come out, if you pull the rear end. Some pull the engine, depending on what's involved.

you might have wrong parts, TOB to Plate misfit?

6. dicer2000

dicer2000

Ok, now you have me worried - I hope not. I'll post some pictures. Thanks

7. F&J

F&J

Not to panic at all. It's just that the Ford trans TOB yoke fits a certain style/diameter of bearing, which is "normally" bigger OD than another brand of car pressure plate finger requirements.