Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Video: The Inside Story of the Packard Merlin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Great newsreel! To be a part of that during the war must have been an amazing thing. I remember my parents and grandparents telling me about what their lives were like then; I was mesmerized by what they had to say about that era.

2. The film captures that in part where it shows workers streaming out of the plant During the war, 30,000+ people worked there, and many of them walked to work.

3. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Driven to One Goal.Thanks Bill.

4. Packard made a ton of money on WWII military contracts and in the postwar seller's market, but unfortunately did not use them wisely.

5. Update on the plant: some parts of the facility are under ownership dispute due to paperwork issues. The city is currently expediting clear title for the new developer.

6. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

7. wicarnut

wicarnut

Great video, Thanks! John

8. The response to this story has been huge, which is gratifying. It's great to know people are interested in this history.

9. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

These Packard /Merlins were also used in PT boats , in different configuration.
    If memory serves me.

10. As I understand it, the Packard PT boat engines were a different design done in-house by Packard. These engines are also featured in the film above.

11. As far as i'm aware the marine version of the Merlin was known as the Griffin (at least that's what we Brits called them) Bearing in mind the Packard motors were Rolls Royce engines built under licence by Packard.
    They were naturally aspirated rather than supercharged and were also used in tanks of the same era.

My old man had two for company in a converted PT boat in the early days of Air Sea Rescue.
    The Merlin was also responsible for taking the P-51 Mustang from being a good aircraft to a fantastic one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014