Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vic Hubbard Speed & Marine-Head Hunters Hayward CC/

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by M.Edell, Jan 20, 2012.

1. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Thats correct. They were on one of the side streets in an old quanset hut. Mike and Bill are like family, used to do business with them when I was doing Mustang restorations at Golden West Mustangs in Hayward, until my the owner (Jeff Dunn) who was my boss, my best friend, passed away. Also if you need a good ford guy at vics, ask for Mark Savage. The dude is awesome.

Thanks,
    "Skrach"
    My Vintage Blog:
    www.VividlyVintage.com
    My 55 Chrysler Worklog:
    www.Pop's55.com

2. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Just looked it up, they were at 235 laurel ave. now a neon sign shop called ragoneon.

Thanks,
    "Skrach"
    My Vintage Blog:
    www.VividlyVintage.com
    My 55 Chrysler Worklog:
    www.Pop's55.com

3. M.Edell

M.Edell

ah..I knew there had to be someone who knew.Thanks

4. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

That was when bill raced in trans am in his 68 mustang. here are a few pics. Also they have made a model of his car, and a slot car too.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]That Car is now owned by another guy but gets raced at most vintage trans am vintage race events.

Also Jerry Lecatsas of ABC Mustangs of Hayward drove a 68 Cougar in trans am of which he owns still and is in his shop on Dollar st. his shop used to be next to maiers before the church he rented it from stopped his lease. Jerry has owned so many shelbys and real cobras. He has proof of a few hundred cars that he has had go through his hands.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  5. mmtoyman

mmtoyman

Aaahhhhhh, Memories from Vic Hubbard Speed and Marine, at the Second location on Meekland Ave. in Hayward. Buying a Sun Super Tach, the new transistorized style, in 1970, with my 17th birthday money, for my 57 Nomad, thats now in my 59 El Camino, also a set of TRW "Power-Forged" pistons, Hooker Headers, Edelbrock C4B intake, Hurst Shifter and linkage for a 57 w/ bench seat, that had to be ordered cause they were out at the time, some S/W gauges and a bunch of Mr Gasket bolts and hardware. Feeling like I had attained some sort of royality status, when I started getting stuff at the "Racers Net" pricing, and getting suspended in my senior year of high school for wearing a V/H t-shirt, even though I had been wearing automotive "logo" t-shirts since I was a sophmore.
    Later on in the early 2000's I bought several collectible Tonka trucks from Tom Odgers, and now I see Pat Chaves - former manager of the San Jose location- frequently as he is now a mfgr's rep, and I deal with the wholesale division (Speed Warehouse)at least 2-3 times a week in my current job.
    As a corollary to Vic Hubbards, my first motor was balanced and the crank ground by Ashland Grinding, down the street from V/H, and a I bought a set of 2.02 camel hump heads with a "three-cut" valve job, with a port and polish job by Charlie McCollough of McCollough Cams in Hayward through a reference from the guys at V/H. Finally, while cruising East 14th st, in San Leandro, late one Friday or Saturday night- actually, more like Saturday or Sunday morning, the Del Rio Bros. race car, sponsored by V/H( see grille shell) was seen making a blast down e 14th st. and then back into the shop, all in about 5 minutes.
    Good times, Long, Long ago, in a Galaxy, Far, Far Away. Mike

6. M.Edell

M.Edell

Very Kool Mike! Thanks! Suspended for wearing a Vic Hubbard T Shirt? Why?! Thats insane!

7. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

The del rio bros sold their shop on clawiter to a guy I know named roger. The record setting engine that was in their gasser is still there. They literally just sold it and left mostly everything. I am pretty sure it was the del rio brothers at least. I walked in one time to give an estimate on a boss 302 he wanted painted he gave me a tour of the shop and its historical artifacts. Pictures and parts. Our shop Golden West, was two doors down from his. Never knew we were so close to local history until that day

Thanks,
    "Skrach"
    My Vintage Blog:
    www.VividlyVintage.com
    My 55 Chrysler Worklog:
    www.Pop's55.com

8. Anselmi

Anselmi

Had this VH S&M sticker in my Max Wedge Savoy when it arrived to Finland. The PO was a boat guy so I never even visited the web site that's on the sticker.... thought it was some "boring" boat stuff :) Boy, was I wrong :D Maybe someone from the shop remembers my car....

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  9. M.Edell

M.Edell

That sticker is a very new one as it as the website printed on it.You're the guy who bought Dennys Sanders Fathers old Max Wedge race car from the 60's right?

Stogy likes this.
  10. rsluggoboy

rsluggoboy
    from SALINAS CA

:D I still have a 1970 Vic Hubbard cataloge.

Stogy likes this.
  11. M.Edell

M.Edell

Scan it and post it!

Stogy likes this.
  12. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

How old do you think my sticker is m.edell?

Thanks,
    "Skrach"
    My Vintage Blog:
    www.VividlyVintage.com
    My 55 Chrysler Worklog:
    www.Pop's55.com

Stogy likes this.
  13. M.Edell

M.Edell

Ive seen that one on Ebay.That is late 60's-1970's

Stogy likes this.
  14. M.Edell

M.Edell

I'll take a pic of one of mine I had reproduced and enlarged.

Stogy likes this.
  15. M.Edell

M.Edell

Here it is on the Cooler/Battery Box in the 34.Not period Correct for an Early 60's Build, but neither is the cooler, thats a 1965 Mountain Dew Logo. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  16. jerry sezar

jerry sezar

Thanks.....great post.........last night before I left the shop I rubbed the HEADHUNTERS club bronze hood ornament that was cast by Ron Francis and early club member. He also has given me many pictures of George Santos and other club members at Kingdon drag strip. I will try to post the pictures when I get home tonight......gotta go.....gotta build!

Stogy likes this.
  17. M.Edell

M.Edell

Made this into a decal as well and put on the back window of our 56 Buick Wagon [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  18. M.Edell

M.Edell

:eek::):) That would be Excellent!! Thanks

Stogy likes this.
  19. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Thanks for the info. I heard that vics is now just a middleman type company. That they have their complete stock room run by speed warehouse (another company) and vics buys from them instead of various vendors. Anyone know the validity of this?

Thanks,
    "Skrach"
    My Vintage Blog:
    www.VividlyVintage.com
    My 55 Chrysler Worklog:
    www.Pop's55.com

20. M.Edell

M.Edell

No Only Speed Warehouse was acquired by National Performance, Gary Light kept the Vic Hubbard Store.Speed Warehouse was Vic Hubbards Wholesale warehouse and owned by the Light family since it started in the 70's.I wonder if my resale account is still good at Speed Warehouse since NPW bought them..? Been a while since I bought anything from there.They are only 5 miles away but Summit has better deals and is usually here in one day anyways.I sometimes go into the Vic Hubbard store and get VHT and goodies and restock on my decal supply.I always talk to my ex co worker Steve Hansen who is still with the company in Hayward.He's always at the Goodguys shows in Pleasanton working the Vic Hubbard booth too.Now days its all about the Import performance junk.

21. M.Edell

M.Edell

22. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Note that it was a military aircraft drop-tank turned around.

Stogy likes this.
  23. TomWar

TomWar

Probably in 1959, My freind Les Silveria and I pushed to start and then followed Al around the Cherryland district. The dragster that he had may have been the one pictured in 1955, but it had an additional engine hanging off the back behind the driver.He drove it up and down several streets, and then put it away. Shortly a Sheriff cruised by looking for any suspicious cars.

Stogy likes this.
  24. R&C RON

R&C RON

Here is a shot of the Dragster you are referring to......

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  25. TomWar

TomWar

Cool! boy that was a loong time ago.

Stogy likes this.
  26. M.Edell

M.Edell

Just seen your reply Ron, very cool! Ron, Tom and my Dad grew up together and both graduated Class of '59 Hayward High.

Stogy likes this.
  27. M.Edell

M.Edell

Found this 1966 Vic Hubbard Catalog For Sale in the UK.Its back home again! [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  28. M.Edell

M.Edell

The "Inside Dope" From Vic Hubbard Speed and Marine 1962 Courtesy of Curt Williams
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  29. Dubes68

Dubes68
    from East Bay

Nice find on that catalog from the UK....never thought of looking for vintage vh stuff, hmmmm,.
    Im currently stripping all the paint of the trucks interior, the PO sprayed like line-x type stuff on the back wall, what a work to get that off.
    Saw your ride at Sac last Sat., sweet, great show all around.

30. R&C RON

R&C RON

Check out this really early ad (1954) from a Bay Area car club newsletter called the Dipstick......

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.