Register now to get rid of these ads!

Viable alternative for a F-1 steering box?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemunkee, Apr 12, 2011.

1. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Well, as I slowly make progress on collecting parts and getting my AV8 Roadster off the ground, I've come across what I believe is a good alternative to the F-1 box and all the mods which have to be made to make them "fit" in the old Model A frame. I pulled this Saginaw box out of a 37 Chevy pickup and love the adjustable mounting bracket. It fits in the frame, and it actually lines up with the steering shaft hole! Also, it seems to look like it will tuck in to the frame a little better than the F-1 box. The over all size of the box seems to be around the same as the F-1 box as well. Has anyone ever used one of these boxes in their cars? Anyone have pix on how they mounted it?

Attached Files:

2. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Bump for an on-topic thread...
    Looks like a great alternative..what sort of gears? worm and sector? if so will might be a little stiffer than an F1 as they are worm and roller, but give it a go! Are rebuild parts available for them?

3. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I flipped a '46 car box on its side and ran the pitman arm facing up....

4. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Don't know much about the box other than it seems to work pretty well. I'm going to run the numbers on it and look in my old Motors Manual (if it's in there) to see exactly what is in there, just got to get out of the office and back in the garage. Will post some pics of it mocked on the frame as soon as I get a chance. Looks Like I will need to make up an angled spacer on a mill. Still seems like a good alternative to having to chop and weld on the F-1 box.

5. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Thought I would bring this one back up since I've decided to go with a Y-Block instead of a flathead, and the steering looks like it's going to be "fun" to get together. I looked in an old Motors Manual, and it identified the Saginaw box as a worm and sector. Is this undesireable? How about if I remove the F-1 box's flange and use the Saginaw mounting bracket instead? Any suggestions?

6. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

7. Gigantor

Gigantor

^^^ What's going on in the pics above? Is that the same box that the OP is using?

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I don't know, but it looks scary...steering box mounted way up high on connecting rods welded just to the top of the frame rail?

better gusset the hell out of that...:confused:

9. turdytoo

turdytoo

I'm sure lots of us have spent lots of time trying to find a suitable replacement for the old Ford & F-1/F100 Gimmer boxes. I don't have the answer but I seem to recall a few people trying VW bus units and also Franklin (lotsa luck finding one) as well as some unknown Ross units. Narrow wheel & tires with minimum offset helps. Remember too that getting the drag link level will help the box to last as well as minimizing the bump steer.