Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage VHRA Pendine Sands Amateur Hot Rod Races - Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Artiki, Sep 9, 2013.

1. gonzo

gonzo

Wow its like a Race of Gentleman way east coast!

2. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I do not wish to take anything at all away from the Brits who put on this spectacular event on the beach..........tons of really great hot rods and the photos are all superb............BUT........has no one here heard that that this was done by Mel Stultz and The Oilers on the beach at Allenhurst-Loch Arbor last October 20th??

Last year's event on the North Jersey beach was terrific and got coverage in HOT ROD magazine,Rodder's Journal, and Traditional Rod & Kulture to name a few.......so, the event on the Pendine Sands is not the first time it's been done in recent years.......The Oilers' **Race of Gentlemen* was the first time it has been done in the past decade or so........and it is going to happen again this year on the wide flat beaches of Wildwood, NJ on a soon to be weekend of October 4th, 5th, and 6th!!

PLease take a look at the web site......buy your tickets and come out to support Mel and The Oilers.......this is going to be HUGE this year on the South Jersey Coast!!

http://www.theraceofgentlemen.com/ and check out the Facbook Page as well:

https://www.facebook.com/events/147131845486506/

Get behind our very own beach racing and come out to see it in two weeks!!

Respectfully submitted,

CB

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  3. Mart

Mart

Well, you sort of had to be there.

Hope the 2nd Race of Gentlemen goes as well as our gig did.

Mart.

4. Not to take away anything from the Race of Gentlemen but... for a few years in the 1920's, Pendine Sands was the venue for setting Land Speed records until Parry Thomas met his tragic demise.

It's not the racing on sand per se that is significant here, but the fact we were allowed to hold the first speed event for cars on practically hallowed ground since 1927. So no, we weren't first, nor yet were the Oilers, but the spookiness of visiting the museum besides the beach the following morning to see the restored Babs and read up on the record attempts made at Pendine was very humbling indeed and still gives me goose bumps.

To anyone who chooses a beach to see what their car is capable of, I salute you!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  5. Besty34

Besty34

Just out of interest what speeds are you guys reaching at The Race of the Gentlemen ?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. gonzo

gonzo

This event and the ROG are both spectacular events. People have been racing on beaches all over the world for 100 years which is why it is so damn cool!

7. Hey lets not ruin a killer thread with killer pics!

Me or any of today's Oilers did not invent "Beach Racing". We are just having a good time like men of years past.

I saw this video of the race the other day and a car I built here in Nj, was in that race! So stoked on that!
    The chassis was from my 32 roadster. It was just two rails before the build hanging around the shop. The body was the very 1st body I chopped. I had sold it, only to buy it back over a decade later, and mate it with those 32 rails. Raced it at Motor Speedway, then sold it to an English pal.

So nice to see it still running, and better yet, still racing!

Ill see you in Pendine some days guys! Life is short, lets RACE!!!

8. Excellent! Which number was it?

9. ukgav

ukgav

Think it's Martin's (dogmartin) A sedan Phil.

10. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

Sooooooo many period correct hotrods in one spot.... so friggen cool!

AWESOME!

11. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

GREAT looking happening with period correct machinery !!! Thanks for all these photos !!!

12. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Did anyone post times and speeds here?

13. What a great event. Thanks everyone for sharing the pics.

14. nutrocker

nutrocker

We were timed over 100 yards with something like 1/2 mile run up, which on the sand didn't feel like enough, but in reality was probably plenty.
    Fastest time of the day was Mr Neil (Biggles) Bennett with an amazing 114.56 mph, which was bloody fast. I did 89.35 mph and it felt like the car wasn't in contact with the ground, so how it felt some 25mph faster I can only aspire to find out.
    Lots of folk ran between 70 and 100 mph with 8 running over the ton.

I'm proud to have had the opportunity to follow in the footsteps or even tyre tracks of those that held land speed records in the 1920's. Pendine Sands is a very special place, JG Parry-Thomas with Babs, Malcolm Campbell with Bluebird and even Amy Johnson, who took off from the sands in 1933 in her attempt to fly non stop to New York, have all been on that sand, some have perished, some have been hurt and some have triumphed.
    Even though I broke nor set any records I did race my car on the hollowed ground that is Pendine Sands.

Pete.

15. Bit blurred but here y'go. Somebody is preparing a spreadsheet with all the speed/owner/club and car details on it, so perhaps it'll get posted here when it's finished. Timing trap was 100 yards after a half mile run up. Plenty for me, not enough for those with more power and longer gearing...

[​IMG]

16. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

17. Time to start transcribing those onto my race card I reckon!

18. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I spent some time last night studying about Pendine.
    Yeah it was a good way to wind down I guess!
    Anyway I'm totally oblivious to the layout of that big island.
    Man that place looks really remote!

[​IMG]
    (pendine is that red A on the right - London is that grey blob on the left)

You know all of us americans think everything revolves around London!
    (okay maybe Birmingham too - it's like LA or New York!)
    That looks to be almost 200 miles away!

[​IMG]

Anyway the drive just to get out there looks amazing,
    and to get at the ultimate destination must have been totally surreal.
    Super cool I think you guys outdid yourselves.
    Can't wait til next years pics!

TP

19. The cars look amazing on the beach. A natural fit!

20. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

This is exactly what makes the HAMB great!!! Thank you for posting.

21. ruralrod

ruralrod

Mind blowing. Bitchin

22. Kustom Gal

Kustom Gal
    from England

Your Right Zibo, Practically all the cars drove hundreds of miles to get to Pendine, My husband and i did a 600 mile round trip in 2 Rods to race there .........my car is the '32 five window, number 129 & my husbands is the red '32 three window, number 49. Took me 10 hrs to get home, i had a few problems!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  23. It was a 550 mile run for us in the Sedan and I would start it again, now. It was that good.
    I got to drive a lot of roads that I hadn't had the pleasure of seeing in over 20 years, got to see an old friend, got to show my wife two of my parents old houses where I grew up and we only used £217's worth of fuel doing all this..that's $350. Bargain!

Here's some of my pictures from an epic 5 day weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Friends for 31 years....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Wonderful event and thread. WOW. My bucket list needs an overflow tank! Gary

25. Made me smile to see a chopped Model A in the mirror after a couple of hundred miles travelling alone. Bigger grin when I realised it was you. From that point on, the lunchtime Mexican, and rolling into Pendine I knew we were on the verge of something epic.

26. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Cool event , hot cars , great pics - thanks to all who posted !