Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Very ugly, but kind of cool

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by huffreport, Mar 11, 2018.

1. huffreport

huffreport

IMG_9292.JPG So here's another weird old photo... it's not a hot rod, it's just old and sort of brutal. But I kind of like it.

I saw this a couple of days ago in a photo album of a friend of mine who has been into cars forever. I figured I should share this image, even though it's ugly.

Enjoy!

Kevin

2. chriseakin

chriseakin

Looks like one of those built from instructions in Mechanics Illustrated or something like that in the fifties - I think they used a '32 sedan, took off the body, zeed the frame at back and built a new body like that one.

Hamtown Al, ClarkH, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

This another one of those, "caption this", photos?
    Hey kid, if you have't had a tetanus shot recently, get away from that car!
    This is a still from the first "Cars" movie, you know, the original 1939 version.
    I don't know who looks unhappier, the kid or the car.
    I hate it when Grandpa leaves the farm for his annual trip to the city, and has to take me with him.
    Yes officer, I'm walking the line, touching my nose, but I ain't taking the fall for this old, drunk car.

But seriously, I think it's just someones creation, built from a bunch of scrap parts and pieces. NO Mechanics Illustrated was involved in any way, shape, or form. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

None were great beauties... but at least they got you into making your own cars! Gary

Stogy likes this.
  7. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Tough to love that one. Maybe the kid did actually build it.

2Blue2 likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is what you did with spare time before there was TV, computers, and cell phones. :confused:Bob

62rebel, Truck64, bchctybob and 4 others like this.
  9. I totally agree with you Bob,many guys in the past have dreamed of designing & building a one off car and didn't let the the access to metal working tools or skill level stop them from actually accomplishing their task with varying degrees of success.

I'm confidant some of these men went on to inspire others and magazines like Popular Mechanics & Mechanix Illustrated helped feed the flame.

We look at these crude creations that lack esthetic beauty and we know that some one poured their heart and soul into their car and they are a tribute to individuality much like what we do today. HRP

10. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Is that kid holding a hammer? Couple a guys on here that hits cars with hammers. Childhood photo?

don colaps, Texas57 and Stogy like this.
  11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

The front end sort of looks like an old steam locomotive with a big cow catcher out front.

Stogy likes this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Were any cows actually caught? Cow Plow would be more accurate.:confused: Bob

13. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

These cars remind me of old board track race cars. Very cool. Here is a video of some racing in the 20s and 30s. Maybe the first Kustoms ever.

14. southerncad

southerncad

Did somebody say "early r-rod"?

Beanscoot likes this.
  15. Did you notice the cars in the first part of the video were traveling counterclockwise? HRP

OLSKOOL57, seb fontana and Stogy like this.
  16. Looks like a pretzel stick with a bite or two take out.

Stogy and pat59 like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That front end has the perfect look to eliminate getting cut off in commute traffic. Love it.

Stogy likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

ive always seen post about the mechanix illustrated sports car build , had to go look up a copy of this magazine on a used book site , now i can at least read the article lol

Stogy likes this.
  23. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Those were handmade home built cars designed by people who actually built a car as opposed to 1-800- send it to me types which is not relegated to just the street rod types.
    The following statement may ruffle a few feathers but buying a Brookville or any other brand quality body shell and purchasing parts from Speedway is a 1-800 send it to me traditional build.
    Wonder if there had been a HAMB back then if there would have been a thread on cup holders? ;)
    Ugly or not I have a lot of respect for those old home builds

24. huffreport

huffreport

OK, do that's one of the most interesting videos I've ever come across here. Thank you for sharing that... unfortunately I think somebody probably died in that crash.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was a very dangerous time for motorsports and there were many moments in that footage that were potentially lethal. A great many of these vintage racing videos do contain serious accidents. I guess we give those who died our thoughts. Still not easy to watch...they had very little protection.

That particular video was almost 20 to 30 years prior to the period of these Homebuilt Hybrid Hotrod/Jalopy/Racers.

It was still dangerous but safety changes were already happening.

upload_2018-3-12_21-3-20.png

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  26. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Its ugly for sure, but has a cool vibe to it.
    I'd drive it over a Prius any day

62rebel, Stogy and Doctorterry like this.
  27. indyjps

indyjps

I like it, looks half done, homebuilt and maybe wrecked. If not wrecked and they mounted the headlights crooked - even better. Ready for a bonzai run down a dirt road.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back when I was a kid there were two machine shops in town where the owners built their own cars. Shorty Johnson had a two seat roadster, Dutch Lazky built a steam car. I was probably about eight years old and I remember Dutch had the engine on the bench and hooked it up to the air compressor in the shop to show me how it worked.

Hamtown Al and Stogy like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No pics by chance Bigdog...? What was the name of the shops...I can search a bit...

chryslerfan55 likes this.