Register now to get rid of these ads!
Auctions

Very Special 1931 Ford Model A - Wisconsin Bell Telephone Installation Truck.

Discussion in 'Cars For Sale' started by D Duvoy, Jun 5, 2019.

1. D Duvoy

D Duvoy
    from Michigan

City: Taylor

State: Michigan
    Price: 22900
    DRASTIC PRICE DROP – THIS TRUCK NEEDS A NEW HOME.

This 1931 Ford Model A Wisconsin Bell Telephone installers truck has a 82- B - E.G. Budd Company all steel cab and an American Coach & Body Co. LI 31 all steel Telephone Installation Body. It’s a rare one indeed. Enjoy as is or drop in a flat head and go from there (that is if you've got the guts to do so. I myself would consider it but torn between preservation and hot rodding).

IMG_2590 - Copy.JPG
    Ill. Bell 1928 Ford Model A Lddr - Copy.jpg
    During the period, Ford Motor Company built thousands of Model A service trucks the Bell System. It seems we have been able to locate just five of these installation remaining (one of which I’ve been told, is in the collection of the Smithsonian Institute).

IMG_2599 - Copy.JPG
    Ill. Bell 1928 Ford Model A Side.jpg
    The current owner of this unique vehicle purchased it in 2009 at one of the last Kruse Co. auctions in Auburn Indiana. He himself owns a utility line service company and used the truck only in a few parades in the promotion of his business. It has spent the balance of the time since purchase in an indoor heated showroom.

Word of mouth history says that the truck was purchased from Wisconsin Bell by one of the men that actually worked it while in company service.

IMG_2592 - Copy.JPG
    Condition: Take a good look at the posted photos (more at : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6wy0ufjmkd9pex8/AAAuLdNfE662-hfpPRynZmGPa?dl=0 ) An extremely solid bodied vehicle. I would describe it as an older, nice, amateur, body off restoration. Chassis wise it appears the frame and components were media blasted and then painted without fine surface finishing – in other words chassis components have typical surface pitting typical of a veteran vehicle.

Paint wise there are some scratches and chips due to the age of the restoration. Some chips at the hood hinges and edges of the cowl opening. Some scratches and wear on running board steps. Slight surface rust on inside lower edge of doors. Slight stone dent in driver’s door. Black painted surfaces – (mostly front fenders) have very fine pinholes, probably due to solvents or moisture issues during the painting process.

This truck has been in indoor heated storage pretty much from the time it was last purchased at auction. Runs quite well (see video at https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcnf2o27ai24rdx/MVI_2580.MOV?dl=0 . Engine stamping indicates May 5 1931. Has just had new radiator hoses / clamps and lower tube replaced. Water pump seal has a slight drip. Clutch is a little grabby at take off in low gear. Lights, horn and gauges work. Wiper motor works sporadically.
    IMG_2593 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2379.JPG
    A few telephone related artifacts are in the work-box and go along with the truck.

Ill. Bell 1929 Instl. Truck Rear Open.jpg

1935 Installer Truck Rear Open CA.jpg

This truck is currently located in Taylor Michigan - just a 4 minute drive from Detroit Metro Airport. It can be seen week days upon appointment. Call Dan at 517 304 6306 for an appointment. As always I recommend an in-person inspection before purchase.

A rare opportunity to acquire a unique vintage commercial vehicle.

Selling this one for a friend, however I have been in the auto export biz for many years so can help arrange shipping worldwide.

Clear Michigan title - ready to transfer to a new owner.

ALL REASONABLE OFFERS WILL BE CONSIDERED!
    IMG_2498.JPG IMG_2535.JPG IMG_2549.JPG IMG_2597 - Copy.JPG IMG_2602.JPG IMG_2603.JPG box2.JPG catalog.JPG
    box.JPG IMG_2590 - Copy.JPG

1Nimrod, Never2low and Rick28 like this.