Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs This once WAS a very rough 1937 Zephyr 3 Window Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by highluxlow, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Squablow

Squablow

She's pretty sweaty looking, but well worth the effort. Plus I bet you'll be able to cash in any duplicate parts for a pretty penny, help offset the cost. Sedan has some really nice pieces to offer, it looks like. I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together.

OahuEli and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love a good metal fab thread and it looks like there will be plenty of that going on. Subscribed.

OahuEli and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Ford Farmer

Ford Farmer

Great project! That’s a lot of work but very much worth it. It’s sad though to see another sedan get dismantled for parts. Sometimes I thing I’m the only one left who enjoys a nice 4 door

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Are the cowl & windshields the same on the Coupe & Fordor? How about door hinge locations? Were will the first cut line be? Bob

5. Wish i could find one, even rusty like that.

chrisp, Squablow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I think the end result will consist of 25% new metal, 70% sedan, and 5% coupe.

kidcampbell71 and The37Kid like this.
  7. Wow, that is a very rough starting point. But also one of the most desirable cars when you have it finished. Good thing you have the sedan for donor, that seems about the ooly way to tackle a job like this coupe.

8. "Was running when parked" :D
    Great find, but a lot of work

waylow64bird likes this.
  9. white64

white64
    from Maine

aren't two door sedans scarcer than coupes?

...just askin'

10. highluxlow

highluxlow
    from Apollo PA

Actually the guy told me it was. I am not sure how considering there is no motor or transmission in it but you just never know.

Kage, Nostrebor and Hollywood-East like this.
  11. highluxlow

highluxlow
    from Apollo PA

The sedan I have is a four door sedan.

Attached Files:

Kage likes this.
  12. highluxlow

highluxlow
    from Apollo PA

Today I dropped all the suspension and just about finished making a cart to temporarily hold the body. I will be linking all the dollies together in the morning.

Attached Files:

13. It's rough but damn! That sedan front clip is really nice. I'd love to have the extra dash for my 34 coupe.., both upper and lower.

14. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I was thinking the same Damn thing I'm between Buffalo/Rochester... So many on here Have know idea what We deal with! This is a car Worth the"$ave".

Outback likes this.
  15. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

All right, you've got my attention.

16. was that at an auction in iowa last fall? i went to an auction outside of mason city & there were two of them there. Both were pretty tough, but restorable. I kind of remember that big hole in the passenger side headlight bucket

17. highluxlow

highluxlow
    from Apollo PA

As far as i know this had been sitting for at least 30 year in an abandoned salvage yard in upstate NY.

Kage likes this.
  18. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

Looks like it ran when parked AND is rust-free. Nice project, good luck and be sure to keep us posted!

19. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Wow great project. To everybody in the rest of the country, back here we build them out of "air". filename-1 (1).jpg

Kage, aussie57wag, Outback and 5 others like this.
  20. birdman1

birdman1

I restored a 1939 Zephyr coupe in the 1990's. when I got it all done and took it on its first drive, cars coming from the oposite direction where pulling to the side of the road to see it !!! I stopped and checked out the Zephyr, thinking I was dragging a body behind it!! . take your time and do the best you can, a very rewarding car.

Bleach, Outback, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  21. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love looking up through the engine compartment all the way out the back window and trunk. Gonna need a few patch panels.

Looks like someone "customized" the headlights?

Seriously, would you cut the floor pan out of the sedan and replace the entire bottom of the coupe with it? Good luck, Lincoln coupes look so killer as mild customs.

22. If I could be 20 again, gain all the knowledge and skill I've seen on the H.A.M.B. over the past decade and have every tool I needed, I could still only dream of doing what I expect you will deliver. Yeah, I'm watching.

23. reefer

reefer

24. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great project.............for you. It is certainly beyond my ability but I'm all for you.

I'll keep an eye out for a V-12 for you.

25. highluxlow

highluxlow
    from Apollo PA

The sedan has the exact same wheel base i will most likely move all the coupe parts over to the sedan.

Kage, Outback, Fordgasser1 and 2 others like this.
  26. olstyler

olstyler

27. olstyler

olstyler

Hey bud good find, there was a really cool zephyr sedan in Dobbins yard near Adams center New York several years ago.

28. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

It's doable, will be following.

29. highluxlow

highluxlow
    from Apollo PA

Today I got all the fenders, bumper brackets, glass, and friction shocks removed.

Attached Files:

Kage, Outback, tb33anda3rd and 10 others like this.