Register now to get rid of these ads!

Very EASY way to DROP Your early Mopar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nmbuellist, Mar 31, 2012.

1. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

never bottoms--can't remember moving shock mounts

2. yourpc48

yourpc48

Wow! Wish I would have seen this a year ago before I cut my springs. I will have to look at my 47 and see if it is the same but if memory serves me I have the same or similar a arm on my car. I cut a coil and a half out of mine and that was a half coil too much. I have spacers in the springs now so I want to replace the springs and maybe use this trick. Thanks for posting. Anyone have a set of springs their not using? :rolleyes:

3. n847

n847

I'm about to try swapping out the stock springs with 1990 ford Aerostar springs I've heard it works great, and they can be had from rockauto.com for around 40.00 a set!

Great tech here again!

4. all thumbs

all thumbs
    from Arizona

i have the springs out of my 40 ply right now so i took a quick look out of curiosity.
    there looks to be roughly 3.25" from hard mount on arm to frame with the lower arm close to parallel with ground. the rubber snubber would be a bit taller, so less gap. moving the coil pad to the bottom of the arm looks to gain 3/4" or so. so i would expect you have 4" total clearance/travel less any drop, so something like 1 to 1.5" bump travel available without snubber? Am i missing something? seems like the camber would be out of whack also?

5. Let us know how that works, I'm curious if they are the same diameter...

6. grifcarnut

grifcarnut
    from Tucson Az

this also works on 49 and up fords. jc whitney used to sell a kit that worked well....have done this many times, 2 to 3 drop with good ride!

7. chubbie

chubbie

wow just what a friend is looking for!! gott'a love the HAMB

8. n847

n847

Did u cut them at all I've got mine in the box I've just been too busy out of town with work to get em on!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

9. Nope, didn't cut them

10. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

Thanks for the info! I'm in the middle of rebuilding the front end of my '40 this winter. I have collected all the parts, upper and lower, including NOS lower control arms. I was planning to cut one coil from my stock springs, it looks like a 1" physical drop, unless the shorter spring compresses more? But now, after seeing this new method, whats a guy to do?:confused:

Attached Files:

11. j hansen

j hansen

Incredibly easy,thanks for the tip.