Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vertex magneto info wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gary terhaar, Mar 29, 2013.

1. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

I am getting close to finishing my driveline swap in my coupe and I am working on the ignition.
    I have acquired a bunch 5 to be exact of oxa style mags. Some with a advance some with not.
    Most of what I have found was rebuilding services or a parts catalog.
    Information is like a black hole on this stuff,I understand if someone makes their living rebuilding them they are tight lipped but I just have a curiosity and enough tools to get my self in trouble. i found nothing on the advance or phasing the rotor/point cam to the magnets.
    Otherwise it seems to be pretty cut and dry(so far).
    Chevy sb are all I have so I machined a new stem and pressed it to the original to fit it to a nailhead.
    I have the special screwdrivers to disassemble it and change the advance around.
    The advance plates are stamped with numbers and stacked,it appears to limit it to the biggest plate and there are several more going for the ride or are they there for another reason,maybe to take up space ?
    One thing I found was the insulation on the coils cracks very easy.
    So a coil is a must for most.
    Any info is helpful so thank you in advance to all.

2. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

get the vertex mag book from speedway motors.tells how to phase the cam to the magnets[takes a tool and ring from vertex]also tells how to test