Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Versatile" Packard V-8 ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Oct 14, 2009.

1. I had a '56 Golden Hawk. It had the 352 cu.in. Packard with the Ultramatic ( a total POS). 275 hp. The only car with more power that year was a Chrysler 300. Another guy in town had one with a 3 speed OD. They were T-85 Borg Warners and tough as hell. Handling was just about like any other mid 50's car. I did have mine nearly swap ends 2 or 3 times one night on Rt.66 but it never did come all the way around. I hooked up with a dude's '57 J2 Oldsmobile one night and he hung in pretty good but the Hawk was faster but not by much.. One of the Packards had 374 cu.in. and 2-4 bbl carbs.

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

296Ardun, no, I don't think it's OT at ALL, man! Great info.

What IS off topic is your HAMB handle, buddy. AHAMBer earlier TODAY said he saw a car with "ARDUN" across the hood and wondered what the heck it was. I couldn't help, 'cause I never even heard of it.

So, is ARDUN a car make? Any info would be appreciated! THANKS.

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

CustomLineVicky, wow! Now THAT is a great testimonial to an engine that didn't have MUCH opportunity to actually PROVE itself in a light car before it went out of production in July '56! I can't thank you enough for the post, buddy!

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This is a joke, right?

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

AlsAncle, I am weith YOU on the '55/'56 Packards. ALL-new engineering.

On a personal level, I can't believe the '55 was a dress-up of the '54 (a la Hudson & Studebaker's antics in the '50s). The Packard chassis was all new, accommodating torsionbar suspension ALL four corners. Packard promo'd the new design, EVEN showing off the chassis alongside their touring show cars, as a build-up for '55 sales.

They wanted the "new" Packard to be seen as new, and I believe it really was.

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Rich, no, not a joke, man. I can give you the thread title and the post #.

I really was thrown by this name, as I have never heard of it. Nope, not a joke -- UNLESS the joke is somehow on ME.

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Ardun heads, made by Arkus Duntov and his brother (Father of the Corvett) are the best known speed parts ever! Aluminum hemi heads to convert Ford and Merc flathead V8s to OHV. You need to study up on this. I came here to mention that those thinking about running a Packard V8 in their car that the lifters are the same diameter as Chrysler. Ed Iskendarian has found a stash of NOS roller cams for the old Packs and can supply proper lifters with the longer connectors. Mine has a 4 inch bore + .060. So that is a very common size for a piston. The pin bore is .9804. So in reconditioning the rods instead of rebushing them to stock it was cheaper to hone the existing bushing to.990 which is stock for BBC. And several other engines also. So you have a shot at finding a good cheap forged piston. The Olds oil pump is a good deal. The only hard part would be the intake if you don't want OEM and don't want fuel injection.

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks, Rich. Yeah, I'll look into the history of the Ardun Hemi heads. But, I can't figure why someone would have Ardun smack across the middle of their hood where, normally, the make nameplate would be (?). Seemed odd, to say the least. Thanks again for CLEARING that up, man!

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It's in a 1934 Ford, it's a 1956 352, I have a dual quad for it but I never installed it, it has a three speed with OD, I'm gonna run it at the Billetproof arags next weekend see if I can't blow it up. It's thrown a rod once already, right through the block, new rod, same piston, JB weld on block, it's still running.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Nads, I like the overall lines on yer rod there, man. You have it lookin' VERY together. And that fabbed air cleaner IS fab!

I really am sorry to hear RE probs w. that one con rod, though. Easy to see why you haven't even bothered to jump the hoops to get the dual-four intake on there. Decades ago, I found 352s in the yars. WISH I could go back and snap a clean block up for you, as it would be KEEN to keep a Packard in it.

I saw a Ford JUST like yours only running a cut-down '40 Pack grill shell up front. Sharp-looking rod, that was! Guy left to help build the Alaska pipeline and NEVER came back. His name was Doug Lethford, as if anybod might care. LOL Never saw the coupe again, either. Who knows? Maybe he took it with him.

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Oops, forgot, Nads! Is the 3-sp/OD stock with the engine, or did you mate up another trans?

I labored for a lot of years under the assumption that the '56 Golden Hawk ONLY used the Pack UltraMatic. Some info on the 'net seemed to confirm that . . .

SO: It would be nice to have yet another HAMBer weigh in with first-person experience and say if at least a FEW GHs actually were ordered with 3-sp !!!! Would it ever. THANKS for your pix & input, man!

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It's an old dragstrip warrior, raced in Texas back in the 50s-60s, she's a bit of a mess, the top chop's wretched but I only paid $500 for the body.
    The dual quad's just sitting here, they are rare, most were dumped in the trash as they didn't work all that well, if I find the right Rochester 4-Jets I'll put it on.
    The car's a blast.
    I took it took the Studebaker/Packard meet right after I built it and people went nuts over it.
    I'll finish her one day......maybe.

13. That looks a LOT like a big block Mopar intake manifold!

[​IMG]

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It is a stock 3 speed OD, the B/W T85 I believe, no synchro on first. I have no idea what it came out of, some friends of mine bought a 56 Caribbean and this drivetrain came with the deal, they had no use for it and sold everything to me for $150, the rear end is Packard too, un-narrowed amazingly enough. I had all this junk sitting around and thought, why not use it?

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have seen a Studebaker V8 with a B MoPar manifold on it. Don't know if it was RB or not. On my Packard I had to add 7/8th inch to the lenth of the Pontiac fuel injection to make it fit. Packards are long.

16. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

My Car Spotter's Guide says you could get a 352 V8 in a 1956 Studebaker President as well as the Golden Hawk.

Attached Files:

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Silhouettes! THAT is a tremendous info find! Wow, I WONDER how many Stude buyers WENT for that order (?).

18. Vintageride

Vintageride

NADS

I noticed a new 1956 Packard Engine on craigslist. It is a unopened long block crate motor intended for a 1955 Nash (5.2 Litre). You can find it on the Hudson Valley Craigslist (8-24-09). No price listed. The phone number on the add was 845-641-5410.

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

VintageRide, cool. A NEW '56 crate Packard V-8. Who woulda THOUGHT?!? 5.2 would be the 320-CID version, right?

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Called at 5:15 Ohio time. Nobody home, but they have an automatic forwarding system, for anybody with some bucks for an unused Pack V-8.

21. Vintageride

Vintageride

A NEW '56 crate Packard V-8. Who woulda THOUGHT?!? 5.2 would be the 320-CID version, right? <!-- / message -->

A 320 CID, Correct sir. I was quite surprised when I saw it. I can't say I have ever run across any other new crated Packard motors. It is a bit smaller than NADs current mill, but it would do the job. The selling price, shipping quote, and a few more pics from the seller will tell if it is a good deal though.

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yes, I'm sure 'Nads would be all ears about a FRESH engine, even 32 CID smaller. The dual-for intake would MORE than make up for that!

23. Zerk

Zerk

The much-esteemed Tad Burness is, unfortunately, mistaken.

Once I read a Popular Mechanics article about police pursuit vehicles a little too enthusiastically, and believed that '60 Ford Interceptors could be bought with 430 ci. Lincoln engines.

We all have our moments.

24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

As far as new 320 inch Packards go. I bought one about 15 years ago. $600 in Dayton, Nv. It was from the Reno museum when it moved and got smaller. I sold the heads and a lot of it since then. I still have the short block. I plan to use the crank, rods and bearings on my 374 as it's cheaper than grinding my crank and buying bearings. Anybody want to buy a new 320 Block? and pistons.

25. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

For any and ALL questions regarding Packards, go to www.packardinfo.com. It's set up MUCH like HAMB, and the folks there really know their stuff and are friendly!

They even have a section for posting about modified Packards!

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Ocean56, WELCOME! And THANKS for adding a target-rich info site on Packards.

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Rich, sounds like you're the man with the plan for freshening up the 374 Packard! Just dumb to waste dough, right! MoPar to ya (Oops! A slip of the tongue from a MoPar guy! LOL)

28. V P Skelly

V P Skelly

29. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Welcome, VPSkelly! THANKS for another info link. We still seem to have two camps on whether a 3-sp/o.d. was even offered in the '56 GH, and whether the Pack V-8 was offered in any Studebaker.

30. V P Skelly

V P Skelly

The guy that runs the Golden Hawk Register own one of each, both factory built. As to Packard engines in other Studebaker models, I've never seen one, but Studebaker would do just about anything, if you were willing to pay for it.