Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vern Tardel

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by terry k, Jul 10, 2019.

1. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

How do you contact Tardel to get info on a part? I have emailed, tried the Phone # (fax #). Are they open. Thanks Terry

AChopped1950ford likes this.
  2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

You send a FAX,
    he does not answer his phone
    He does not do computers
    He is a great guy and will get to you when he gets to you and you will be happy when he does

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

I've used their 'contact us' on the website as well as a sales email address (listed on same web page) and never got a response, it's been a couple months. I just went another route.

504640 likes this.

5. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Fax machine is long gone....

6. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

They have a website where you can order parts or contact them ( him ).

7. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Can't contact him on there. Tried to see about a part.

504640 likes this.
  8. We still have a fax,land line,and flip phones.Guess thats why people say I'm a dinosaur:D.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  9. lake_harley

lake_harley

Same here. I got no reply. I'll just move on.

Lynn

504640 likes this.
  10. topher5150

topher5150

Then again you drive ancient cars

Texas Webb likes this.
  11. rockfish

rockfish

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but my onetime interaction with Vern was great. A number of years ago I got to tag along with my wife when she had a conference in San Francisco. Since I was going to have a few days to myself I faxed Vern asking if I, a total stranger could interrupt his schedule and stop in for a visit. I sent the fax just a few days before heading out to San Fran and heard nothing. I just assumed he was too busy and my short notice didn't help. About a week after returning home I received a phone call from Vern apologizing for not getting back to me sooner but he had been out at Bonneville wrangling cars for "The World's Fastest Indian" filming. We spoke for probably 30 minutes about old Fords and his work on the film set. I obviously told him there was nothing to apologize for. He told me I was welcome to stop by any time I was back in the area. In my opinion he's a legend in this hobby and I can only imagine how much information he has shared with the hot rod community without asking or receiving anything in return. His fax # system has worked for him for a long time and I don't blame him for not changing. He'd probably get nothing done if he had a cell phone or land line for his business.

12. Send a letter with a self-addressed stamped envelope, and wait for a reply. Just like would have been done in 1952.

LSGUN, lumpy 63, Kan Kustom and 3 others like this.
  13. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

SoCal Sacramento used to sell most of the tardel stuff , you might try them

14. 5window

5window

I can see both sides. But., I sympathize with the OP who is is only trying to buy something offered for sale. How much trouble could it be for the web designer to put how to really, actually contact him on the web page? I'm also wondering how long after you order it takes the Railway Express wagon to get the part to you?

chickenridgerods likes this.
  15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I saw an add for something I needed and could not ask any questions. I gave up but a couple of weeks later I checked in again. I saw the price was halved so I went ahead and bout the item. But the shipping system got screwed up...from Tardels place to LA to Orlando then Chicago back to Frisco and then up to Blaine Wa. I wonder how the USPS employees find their way home after their shift!

16. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Sadly sometimes half price ain't worth the hassle.

Rather pay full price and have my questions answered and my parts shipped.

The older I get the more truth to the above ! Lol

scotty t and Gasser 57 like this.
  17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

My question was simply if he would take offers. So my question must have been answered with ESP!

18. threeimpalas

threeimpalas

I think that I'll just fly out for a visit. Have always liked the part of CA.

continentaljohn likes this.
  19. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

It's all just a clever rouse Vern is actually one of Bill Gate's former prodigies. He secretly watches and knows everything happening on the Internet and enjoys seeing people pull out their hair in frustration with his company...... Damn now that I exposed this conspiracy I better go check my dead bolt on the door guys in black suits may be about to wiggle the door knob.

Texas Webb and town sedan like this.
  20. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

In his book he warns against modifying the '32 brake pedal. He shows the pedal he sells that is a new manufactured one. Not listed on his website.

21. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Maybe I can help?, what are you trying to do? Did you buy one of his master cylinder brackets for 32 k member?

lumpy 63 likes this.
  22. 5window

5window

Ryan seems to be close to Vern. Maybe PM him to connect you up?

23. He's just busy building great cars, buy his book the answers are in there, frustration is a great form of advertising ain't it, he's got the whole web talking about Vern Tardel, go Verne. JW

Texas Webb likes this.
  24. 5window

5window

Admittedly, great cars and great book. But, this question was how to get a reply to an purchasing inquiry. That's not in the book, Frustration gets attention, but if you look at the recent threads about Radir Wheels, that attention's not going to get them orders. More likely to push them downhill faster. Great product, great service,great communication is always the best way to go.

25. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

26. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

image.jpg In Verns book it shows a 32 pedal and also a bracket to use a 39 pedal. To me the 32 pedals look original in the book. I know at one point several manufacturers/guys made pedal setup but none are making them now. Not sure if it was lack of interest or liability.. what is you question on the setup I am sure one of us can help you ...
    We had the great opportunity to visit Vern at his place and it was just awesome. One of the nicest guy and we popped in on him and he took the time to show us around. I even got to buy set of 32 roadster doors off him. He reminded me of my Pops and give you the shirt off his back but not into yacking on the phone and never used a computer and a face to face guy.

27. Hemiroid

Hemiroid

So, at the last Back to the 50's swap meet in June '19 I had a Tardel Model A K-frame on my table for sale. I had more than one local 'rod' builder tell me that Tardel had an auction and quit selling parts. Is there any truth to their story or was it a ploy to talk down my price? I don't believe it till I see it, that is how rumors get started...

28. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Rumor.......

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

They sell stuff on line at verntardel.com and have the kmember listed but no pedals.

30. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

He shows a complete replacement pedal set-up in his book, but not on his website.