Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vern Raymer has passed away

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LSR 2909, Aug 8, 2012.

1. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

This was written by my friend, Butch Salter

Our club has lost another charter member, Vern Raymer.
    Vern has been in the Denver Timing Association from its founding in 1949 and has been a very active member from its beginning. Vern participated in the speed trials in 1949, served on the Denver Drag Board in the late 50's and campaigned a Chrysler powered dragster in the 60's with his good friend Jim McKindley.
    In 1969, son Brian acquired a competition license and replaced Vern in the driver seat of the family's gas dragster. That began the Raymer and Son team that continued through 1989.

In 1979 the Raymers entered the Top Alcohol Dragster ranks and began a very successful eleven year run in that class, with 1981 becoming a banner year for the Raymer team who became NHRA World Champions in the Top Alcohol dragster class. Brian received Sportsman Driver of the Year and Vern received Sportsman Mechanic of the Year.

Vern and Brian were inducted into the NHRA Division Five Hall of Fame in January of 2004 and the Colorado Motorsport Hall of Fame in April of 2010.

Vern has served on the board of the Denver Timing Association for many years.

It has been my pleasure to know Vern, Beverly and Brian for many years, going back to 1955 at Lowry Air Base. Vern was always there to help with technical advice and was very generous with help in making parts in his machine ship which he enjoyed working in. Vern was also a very accomplished photographer, who documented the early years of racing in the Denver area of film and gracefully shared these images. The Raymers are a very special family in our club, and our condolences go out to the family in their time of sorrow.

Butch Salter

Attached Files:

2. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Sorry to hear this ,Met the Raymer famliy while working on alky cars in divison 5, Really good people, Tim Jones

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

One of Denver's legends has gone to the big dragstrip...my condolences...

R-

4. colorado51

colorado51

Sad indeed....

I watched them make many passes at Bandimere in the late 70's throughout the 80's.

5. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

6. I have great respect for Vern. I was a competitor in procomp with them. My sympathies to the family.