Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Verifying AV8 motor mount location

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RB35, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Starting a new project for an AV8. I have older version of Vern Tardell's book and that indicates that motor mount front is 3" from radiator mounting hole. Is that correct?
    Thanks,
    Richard

2. alchemy

alchemy

The best way to put any engine into a frame it didn't come out of is to stick the assembled engine in the hole. Then build your mounts to fit. Somebody else's measurements might not take into account a part that you are using, and then you would need to backtrack unnecessarily.

alanp561, 1934coupe and thirtytwo like this.
  3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

There was a typo in the book at one time , also the tardel car used fan on generator lot of guys used later fan assembly and got frustrated cause it didn’t fit

4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

That measurement won't work, my motor mount is 6 1/2" from the radiator mounting hole on my A V8 with an 8BA running the fan on the generator and have about 1" between the fan and radiator. I'm running a 4 core Brassworks radiator, truck water pumps and have 2" lower hoses. Would have to be about 3" farther back to use the stock 8BA fan. The earlier flathead takes less room at the front of the engine. The placement makes a difference on the rest of the drive train and the firewall, a lot to decide before you weld in the motor mount.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    66fora69er likes this.

5. OK. I like the fan on alternator set-up and have a lot more to go before mock-up.
    Thanks for your input.
    RB