Register now to get rid of these ads!

Venting on Repop world!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51Gringo, Oct 25, 2006.

1. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

Correct me if I'm wrong...but why in the HELL doesn't anyone repop the 682-c Guide headlights(and the J)!!!! They would make a friggin' killing, and howabout some other Kustom items, a decent Desoto grill. Yeah, I've seen a couple, two different individuals that I can think off hand. The one I've seen is a casting of the center tooth (x 11), and the other, is that one guy on Ebay...it's okay, but I'm talkin' about the real deal, with parking lights and everything. '51-'55 Desoto grills are used quite frequently, so you know they'd sell. I don't know, I just think if I were in the business of repopping I would be making all kinds of shit. Lets hear your item list, maybe the 'Repop Santa' will get a fucking clue and do it!

2. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

55 Olds headlight rings , 55/56 merc wagon tailights in metal chromed not glass and 56 packard tailights and surrounding sheetmetal and a big hellya on the desoto grills

3. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

But then everyone would have the same shit.....I don't know....I understand the frustration of not being able to find the part you need, or the outrageous prices but sometimes the fun is in the hunt

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd repop exact duplicates of mangeseum hailbrands. 15 x 4 and 16 x 8 and 10. then I wouldn't tell anyone and I'd sell them as NOS originals for $5,000.00 a set

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Don't worry, if the market holds out long enough, someone will. The problem with the grille is that in order to tool up to make an exaxt duplicate (chrome plated pot metal) would probably cost so much that you wouldn't want to pay for that one either.

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I hear you there. Finding decent Olds headlight doors and Merc taillights for my '56 Vic was a challenge. But if I'd just bought 'em as repops from Bob Drake, I don't think I'd be as proud of them.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

When I get frustrated like this, I remind myself that half of the fun of building a traditional car is the HUNT... the feeling you get when you finally find that part you have been looking for for so long... the feeling you get when you find a part you didn't even know existed...

Personally, I don't know that I would like this thing so much if parts were so easily obtainable.

Enjoy the experience man... It's the best you can do.

8. BACK-UPAND HEADLIGHT RIMS

HEADLIGHT RIMS (Bezels): ​

1948-53 Headlight Rims are die-stamped stainless steel

reproductions. 1948-53 Rims are complete with rubber seals and retainers. 1955-57 Headlight
    Bezels are Cast Chrome reproductions made using expensive high pressure tooling. Rubber seals
    around headlight bulbs are included.​

5940756 ​

Headlight Stainless Steel Rim 1948 98, 1949 All, 50 76-88, 51 88A 38.00 ea.

5938928 ​

Headlight Stainless Steel Rim 1950 98, 1951-53 All except 1951 88A 42.00 ea.

924535 ​

Headlight Bulb Chrome Retaining Ring (Stamped Steel) 1940-55 All 27.50 ea.

Headlight Cast Chrome Bezel with seal 1955 All 89.50 ea.

Headlight Cast Chrome Bezel with seal 1956 All 89.50 ea.

Headlight Cast Chrome Bezel with seal 1957 All 89.50 ea.

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

EXACTLY..
    That's what makes our cars stand out from each other....hard to find parts.:D

10. Re-pops should be ok.

Then we can have another class of haves and have-nots along the lines of steel is real and all that....

11. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

Guys, don't get me wrong, I Hunt to Kill...Kill to Hunt, buuut, there are certain parts that should have been made Years ago. Take the Ebay thing, there are dozens of guide headlights to go around, but $300 to $400 for headlights!!! (probably bondoed up, quickie $). It's just crazy, same with the Desoto dental, most are pitted up broken/frozen rusty mounting bolts, that you gotta doctor up then get hit in the face with a $1,700 chrome bill, plus he's sanded/buffed those puppies down to a 1/32", you know they won't hold up for long. Hey here's another for you Merc guys.....How about repopin' '49-'51 Merc side Trim!
    They're doin it for the ShoeBox guys...WTF.

12. Retrorod

Retrorod

I really could use a pair of those Guide lights. Most everything I found so far is pretty much junk. I have a pair of those cheap-ass Diezt replica Chinese lights for temporary use and the damn things are starting to rust already.....and it hasn't rained here since April!!

13. hilbillyjim1948

hilbillyjim1948
    from australia

maggy halibrands have been available in australia as repros for over 10 years

14. Brown Devil

Brown Devil
    from Mission Tx

1950 Lincoln tail lights.Back then when I had my '46 Ford coupe I wanted a set and they were 400.00 for the pair and they were not that nice,needless to say a pair of '49 Ford lights worked just as well.

15. If you guys make enough noise, maybe someone will repop duece bodies.......

16. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

It's really questionable if any killing can actualy be realized when re-popping anything.

So a part starts reaching unobtainium status, along with high asking prices. Then someone thinks they can make money by selling new ones for the same price. NOTE: this does not actually happen!! Here's what happens: the person planning on repopping spends anywhere from, say, $15,000 to $50,000 tooling up for doing the repop (this is VERY EASY to do!!!)-- then they do a production run and put it on the market... guess what... now that it is "readily available", people put off buying the item. It no longer is a "get it as soon as it comes up for sale" kind of item that makes people beg/borrow/steal in order to obtain it. They put it further back on the list of parts to get, now that they can run out and buy it any time.

Then, there's the issue of "it's not exactly like the original, so I'm going to keep looking for an original" thinking. This happens very frequently.

And what about the legalities/paperwork/costs of licensing and paying royalties?

Do you suppose these factors play a part in whether or not anyone wants to invest HUGE money in making repop's? I do.

Now, you gave DeSoto grilles as an example. They aren't impossible to get, just getting more expensive. I saw approximately 5 of them for sale at the L.A. Roadster's meet this year. As long as that continues to happen, I really doubt people are going to want to start repopping them any time soon. Maybe in another 15 years. But for now, there are still a lot of grilles available to re-chrome.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

are they EXACTLY like the originals? if so put them on ebay US and sell them for the big bucks.

18. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Keep in mind that most of the vehicles that used the Guide headlamps when they were new were medium duty trucks, so if you know of any old large truck burial grounds, go check them out. One of my buddies is a Brockway fanatic, and he sees Guide lights at the truck shows he attends all the time.

19. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

No way,that will NEVER happen:D .The only problem with alot of re-pro parts is that 90% of the time they are made "over seas"(China) and they dont always fit very well.Most of the time you are better off to locate and restore the part you need.

20. hilbillyjim1948

hilbillyjim1948
    from australia

yeah ive been told they are exact duplicates but as i dont own either i cant tell you how good they are they are produced by Rod Hadfield the guy that built the lincoln v12 powered A p/u and the merlin powered 55 coupe ,im not a fan of the guy as a person but he Does make SOME pretty good shit ,he calls the wheels "Haddybrands"look up Castlmain Rod Shop

21. word......but, some 57 chevy 150 side trim would be nice.

22. Some of my friends are into restoring old trucks. And BTW, they use up a lot of space! Anyway, I often drool over the hulks sitting around with yummy headlights - which they "have to use" for their restos. Damn!!!!!

23. lolife

lolife

Unless you do all the work yourself you have to deal with the underbelly of american labor.

An interesting note: a friend and his wife who are in their 70's make speaker cones out of kevlar in their home. They were trained and then they get a box of material every couple of weeks to make a hundred cones, and then they box up the completed cones and send them in. They use a hubcap as a mold (hemi shaped).

Maybe if you can find a way to equip old folks homes with a hydraulic press to stamp out headlight rims?? :)

24. swimeasy

swimeasy

Probably one of the reasons that my 1927 rpu has been so long in building is that I really have had a lot of fun and have met a lot of great people searching for the real thing when it comes to parts.I am starting to think that it is my favorite part of a build.Since I am how on the HAMB things like vintage gauges and flathead intakes may be easier to locate and things might speed up a little! On my next build (a shoebox I hope) I probably will use some repops as I am not getting younger and dont want to spend 10 years on that car!

25. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Re: repopping parts. The folks who are remaking lower rear quarters for 49-50 mercs at about $750 each won't be making them for 1951 Mercs. Not a large enought market.

26. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

That said...do you think Brooksville is going out of business soon? Nahhh, didn't think so. They have a waiting list you know. Just an example. There is a market for the items I described, wish I had the dough, I'd do it myself, but it sounds better for a company that is already involved in the business of reproduction components.

27. Rande

Rande

Ok, so what are Guide lights?

28. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

Yes, I see your point and agree, although, there is some good'ol repop stuff made in the USA too. I believe, that if it was made back then..Then it can be made again..and Better. I don't think these major repop guys are interested in making bitchin' parts..just Bitchin' money. I hope they get an ear-full of shit for there poor craftsmanship thats done by China, but I don't think they care. Their too big now, (thanks to us) to make a difference.

29. 55olds88

55olds88

Its all about the $$ the only reason bad repop stuff is getting made in China is cause somone in the US is paying for it and accepting a poor quality product when they should be having the manufacturer in china produce it to spec which I'm sure most of them could/would do...... so its all about lazyness and greed.

30. Squablow

Squablow

Fuck a wish list, start making the shit.

57-58 Plymouth bumper guards (bumper "wings" to a restorer) have been mega hard to find for years, and all the Christine guys have to have them. So me and another guy I used to work for are making them. Here's some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're not going to make a million of them, and we're not shipping the molds to China to have them made, it'll be a fairly short run.

I'm hoping to learn more about how this stuff is made, then I can make stuff myself, maybe try to cater more to the custom car world.

If you want to see something reproduced, don't ask for it, make it yourself and sell them. I do agree that the hunt for parts is a lot of fun when building a car, but at the same time, when something gets to stratospherical pricing, it takes the fun out of finding one if there's no way you can afford to buy it.