Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Venting backing plates

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by george.barnes.754, Apr 18, 2018.

1. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

2. alchemy

alchemy

There are two styles of non-self-energizing early Ford hydraulic brakes that guys use. The 39-42 use a removable pin at the bottom of each shoe, and that pin can be rotated to add additional adjustment to the shoe. The 42-48 uses a pin on the bottom that is part of the backing plate, and is not removable or adjustable. So, the shoes, bottom pins and bushings, and I believe the bottom tie bars, are all different between 39-42 and the 42-48.

3. This is the HAZE CITY screens I used, excellent quality, RECOMMENDED!
    screen.jpg

kidcampbell71 and RICH B like this.
  4. ratrod0

ratrod0

I got mine at Gene McKinney's hot rods

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

Moon (Mooneyes) also used to sell cast aluminum scoops for backing plates, I bought a pair. Nice. I think they still sell 'em. They look like the ones on Ratrodo's car.
    Sorry George, no fins.

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Back when I built my own hot rod in 1959,I thought drilling holes an making my own scoops was sexy for my 1948 brakes. I still have that brake set up,but have had to replace shoes an put in new cly. At the time I made my scoops,I used a fairly new alum stopsign,most then were rusting steel signs. I did have to polish the paint off one side. But they still look good to me. 009.JPG

brsturges likes this.
  7. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Another point. If you let air in to cool things down, you need to give it a way to get out or there is little or no flow past the hot shoes. Some photos on this are doing that and some are not.

8. Would a couple holes in the back of the backing plate be sufficient to do that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

9. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Not an airflow expert, but if you have 10 holes letting air in, then probably need 10 to let it out? Or another way to say it same surface area on both in and out. Back to high school geometry

10. I was gonna mou t my scoope, drill 2 half inch holes to let the air in so it sounds like 2 1/2" holes ought to be perfect.

11. Them are cool looking. Wilson Welding?

12. No home made!

13. Man, them are bitchin. I wish I had the tools to do that...

14. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Yep approved and admired. Inspired work. But even Ferrari is concerned about air flow these days. They got it right this year so far.