Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vent window alignment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54velox, Oct 8, 2015.

1. 54velox

54velox
    from Australia

image.jpg
    I need help.

I can't get the vent windows in my 1937 Dodge to close.

The vent windows overlap the wind up windows, one by about 3mm, the other by about 5mm.

A mate had the same problem on his 40 Chev and ended up modifying the top brackets.

Surely there must be adjustment somewhere to fix the problem, although I can't find any.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. So I'm no 37 Dodge expert but I have done a fair amount of Door/Window work. First thing is do determin if there is any damage done to the actual wing glass frame and that it follows the shape of the door it should fit into. Next is that replacement rubber seal is often a big issue with final closeuer. You haven't gotten to a rubber issue yet. The divider bar the glass closes to should be adjustable both top and bottom. That would not necessarly be for wing glass fit. It is to keep Door window tight into felt runner that is in rear of door. I have seen replacement glass cut wrong and not be square on front and rear edges. Check that the door glass is tight front to back both down in the door and up in closed position. Often times that's where you'll find the problem starts and just grows as it goes. So basically I've told you to check and be sure both rear door glass channel and divider bar or front glass channel are parallel to each other and that door glass is pretty snug in the felt runner. When that is correct the wind wing should fit into it's closed position correctly. Many a glass fit issue starts with replacement glass not being cut exact to factory shape.
    The Wizzard

Crazy Steve likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Is the division bar attached to the door window, or to the vent window assembly? I seem to recall that the Mopars of that era had the division bar as part of the door glass. Maybe a few more pictures of the whole thing, with the window part way down, would help us see what is going on.

4. Bobacuda

Bobacuda

Try the http://p15-d24.com/page/index.html website for help. Lots of old Mopar guys there. There are several knowledgeable gentlemen that will tell you , "Get a Shop Manual," but they will also offer advice.

If your window mechanism is like the '53 truck, the regulator has an adjuster that will help. If I remember right, it is a 1/2" nut on the bottom of the regulator. In addition, the "roll-up" window travels in a window channel in the door. It can also provide some adjustment.

When I rebuilt my truck's doors, the vents lined up as bad as your photo. I tried the adjustments and checked with several other old truck guys, and it turned out the vent glass was not cut right. I took the entire door back to the glass shop and they trimmed the vent glass - bingo. Windows fit great, vents flip open and close, roll-ups roll up and down.

Good luck.

5. 54velox

54velox
    from Australia

Thank you Guys for the replies.

I ended up getting the window to line up by rejigging the garnish molds. The vent windows are part of the garnish mold.

Not pretty, but at least they now close.

Cheers

6. Glad it worked out. HRP