Register now to get rid of these ads!

vehicle registration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhmagill, Feb 28, 2011.

1. jhmagill

jhmagill

Ok, I've done the thread search and read the posts but still have questions. I have a title for my truck, I live in PA and it's a PA title. The numbers match the VIN plate. Here is the rub. I bought the truck from a lady who's husband died. He bought the truck 25 years ago from a guy who just signed the back of the title. I now want to get it in my name. These title services seem more like they work missing titles not missing owners. Any suggestions?

2. Abomb

Abomb

Is the signature on the title dated, and do you need a written bill of sale ????

Have you talked to your county treasurer, or DMV, or whomever does this in your State ? Or searched their website ??? It may be a very simple sign your name in the buyers space type of deal, or it may be as complicated as getting a lawyer to do a quieting of title procedure.

Good Luck

3. Fenders

Fenders

If he just signed the back of the title and it is not dated or signed over to a "buyer" you have no problem.
    The title will..... say... it was sold to YOU last week......

Or maybe you have to give us more information to answer your concern....

4. jhmagill

jhmagill

What I've been told by a person who does vehicle registrations for the state is that it needed to be signed in front of a notary. It wasn't as it isn't imbossed with a seal over the name. I guess if I could find a notary that was willing to stamp it but that may be hard to come by.

5. oldolds

oldolds

That's the rub in PA. The title must be signed in the presenceof the notary that does the paper work. They must also get copies of photo ID, unless known to the notary. My pop is a notary and won't do this even for me. The penalty is a felony rap sheet. Now if you could find someone with the same name and photo ID..... or a family member could apply for a duplicate title, then sign as power of attorney, attach a death certificate. Ask around there are some sympathetic Notaries out there who will do the dead for a fee. The guy local to me died a few years ago he is sadly missed by a lot of people.

6. jhmagill

jhmagill

Maybe what I need to do is junk it than apply for a reconstructed title. I may look into that.

7. Fenders

Fenders

This is really OT but I have seen old notary seals for sale at flea markets and yard sales.....

8. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

it might not matter. if the car has plates, go to the Dee Mmm Vee and see if they will give you the previous owners name. in texAss it cost me only $2.00 to get this info. it's quite possible that the DMV has the old ladie's hubbie as the owner. if so, she can just sign some documents and it's a done deal. that's how i bought my 62.

9. vegas

vegas

Registration/title problems suck, you're always at the mercy of how "cool" the people handling your paperwork are. It took me 4 trys at the DMV here to get my car registered. Although, here in NV, 2/3 notaries I can think of will "help" you out for the right fee, no problem!

10. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Gross:eek:. good luck on the title though.

11. jhmagill

jhmagill

Holy Crap!! Problem solved! I just happened to take a wild shot and did an internet search for the name of the guy on the title. Believe it on not the guy who signed the title still lives at the same address. I called him and he remembers selling the truck, in 1964. He said to stop by and we'll go up the street to the notary and we'll get it taken care of. What's the odds? Maybe I should play the lottery tonight.

12. Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout !

13. dan sutton

dan sutton

You better go buy a lottery ticket. You're on a roll!

14. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I had a simliar.
    Tried to get the title for my 1946 Harley, the state told me the previous owner. I called. He said he had not seen that Harley since 1949.
    Got a duplicate title from him.

15. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

FWIW, If you have a signed off title with a different buyer filled in, you pretty much have a worthless piece of paper in any state I have lived in.
    You really lucked out finding the guy.

16. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I Pa. title signed and not notarize can be a big issue. They want the owner to come along for the transfer. Out of state title are easier to get through the state.

The widow may be able to get it in her name.She will have to go to the notary with a death certificate. Then have it transfer into your name.

The other way is to have the original owner go for a lost title. being that its 25 years it may take time for them to come up with a new title.

Pa can be a real pain when a title is not in order.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  17. darkk

darkk

I'm sure all those Notories willing to help out for a nominal fee will be really happy to see that you posted that info here on a public forum.....:eek:

18. jhmagill

jhmagill

I really lucked out ont this. The guy whos name is on the front of the title and who signed it on the back is the guy I found and talked to last night. No other names or signatures are on the title. I hope it is just a matter of going to the notary with the guy that signed it in 1964 and show proof that he is who he says he is, than just submit the paperwork.

19. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

very cool! have fun.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you might better buy a lotto ticket this week, it looks like you are on a roll. Congrats on getting the title problem solved.

21. I wouldn't try anything dangerous for a while. I'd say you're bought and paid. Glad you got a happy ending.

22. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Should not be a problem. You have the title and the man who signed it. That great it will safe you a lot of headaches

23. skidsteer

skidsteer

Yes, you lucked out. The hard part is getting an original title, you already have that. Get that guy to the notary FAST. I wouldn't even mention to the notary that somebody else had the vehicle for a while, because if the title was never transferred, the second guy probably never legally owned it?