Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vega Steering Box Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29 sedanman, Aug 15, 2007.

1. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Should there be any slop in the steering box and if so how much say measured at the end of the pitman arm side to side? :confused:

This is a stock vega box, not an aftermarket if that matters.

The last few times I have driven my car it seems like I am chasing it back and forth across the road. I raised the front end up tonight and if you have some one hold the steering wheel you can move the front end side to side. I dont seem to ever remember any slop in the front end before.

I am going to drop my tie rod and drag link tomorrow night and check all my heim ends just to make sure they are all OK.

2. deuceguy

deuceguy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

4. 37 BILL

37 BILL
    from Bristol CT

That box should have less than 1/16 of play.....at the pitman.....and les than 1 1/2 inches at the wheel.....if you have play at the pitman, your sector screw area is severely worn...and that would for sure make the car feel very uncomfortable.....call me at the shop (borgeson)860 482 8283... if I can help talk you through how to adjust it....BC

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Steering boxes should be adjusted without any steering linkage attached to them. Get a factory shop manual for the adjustment procedure and adjust the box according to instructions. If it cannot be adjusted correctly, rebuild or find a better box.
    Most steering box problems can be attributed to lack of maintenance (no adjustment ever, leaking seals, no lubricant) and improper adjustment (jakeleg mechanics tightening down the adjustment screw to "tighten her up") usually causes increased gear wear.
    A correctly adjusted and maintained steering box should outlast the car it came in.

6. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Bill I am trying to call you but the number seems to be wrong. PM me the number if you will please.

thanks.

7. budd

budd

if you need another box and are looking at used ones try and find one made in Canada, vega boxes made in canada have a bearing in the bottom end instead of a bushing and, most vegas in canada rusted away long before there steering box would of worn out. i picked up a nice one for $40 with the tierods and drag link still attached.

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I put a panhard bar on my last Model A and it helped

9. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I have a pan hard bar, thats not an issue.

I replaced the box last night with another junk yard unit, and it seems to be just fine once again.

I am going to lookinside my old box to see if I can see what hapened to it. After talking to Bill from Borgeson, it sounds like I may have way over tightened it when I adjusted it when I initially installed it.

Thanks to everyone for all of their responses and information.

10. moontripper

moontripper
    from Munster,IN

Hi guys,
    sorry for my ignorance is this vega box manual? And are they hard to find in the after market.All are shop here shows a vega steering box for power steering
    Thanks
    Bart (moon)

11. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

They are manual. Not sure if they ever made a power steering model but I am not to up on the vega stuff. Ask Monzadood, he would know.