Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vega pitman arm clearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopper526, Jul 4, 2011.

1. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Does anyone know of a pitman arm that will fit the stock Vega steering box that is shorter than the stock arm? After I changed the front springs on my coupe I lost the clearance between my pitman arm and drag link, there is less than 1/8" clearance. So, my easiest solution is a shorter pitman arm, I'm just not sure what arm might fit. Any help? Thanks!

2. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Can you heat and bend it for a bit more clearance?

3. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

I don't think so, it's chrome.
    I know I could get an offset arm that might give me enough clearance, but my first choice would be a straight arm. I was really hoping a different make/model arm would fit. Thanks! Jim

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If you shorten the pitman arm it will change the steering ratio a tad bit.. I think you're talking about pitman arm to tierod clearence.. With front end jacked up, move the tires from lock to lock and see how much clearence you have.. If it is indeed 1/8", you could heat and bend the pitman arm a tad or possibly put a slight bow in the tierod(and recheck toe-in)...... Someone else may be able to offer a better solution......

5. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

I'm sorry, I said drag link, I meant tierod. Yes, I thought about bending the tierod or also bending the steering arms down. They are my least favorite choices. I thought the easiest/best solution would be a different pitman arm, so I was looking for a shorter than stock Vega arm. With the front end on the ground the there is about 1/32" clearance between the arm and the tierod. The picture below was taken BEFORE the front end was lowered, it was right on then. Thanks.

Attached Files:

6. HotRod33

HotRod33

is the pitman arm you are using have an area that you can move back on it about an inch or so and redrill it and use a tapered reamer for tierod ends....... and bolt it back together.

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I assume you can't move the box back [at least easily] so i suggest moving the axle forward..Take 1/2 steel plate, about 4"x4" and drill a hole the size of the center bolt head in the spring in the center of plate...Clamp plate to axle spring pad about a half a hole [or more] to the rear and redill axle..that will give you about 1/4" [or more], be enough? Can make a little wedge to take up the now oblong hole if you feel necessary..

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

had a'47 Ford Coupe that I bought 3 aftermarket Vega steering box mounting brackets because none would make it possible to not bend Vega pitman arm- found a stainless steel pitman arm and had it bent by a machine shop that worked with stainless steel-it worked

9. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Seb, that sounds like the cheapest, easiest way out. I'll take a close look and that may be the way to go. Thanks! If not I will bend, or buy, an offset arm like a few of the guys have suggested. Thanks everyone!
    That's the great thing about the HAMB, plenty of brains to pick.

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I had a like situation a few years ago and I called P&Js and had them make me a slightly shorter pitman arm. If I remember right it didn't take to long and it was chromed.

11. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Thanks, everyone for your input. I went with Seb fontana's idea. Took me an afternoon and didn't cost a dime, just a couple drill bits. I moved the center pin hole about 1/2" forward..worked great!