Register now to get rid of these ads!

vega install ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tobyflh, Jun 24, 2013.

1. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

I'm getting ready to install my vega box and have some questions. One, do I install the box so that the pitman arm is parallel to the ground? Two, the drag link and the tie rod are mounted parallel with each other and the ground? Three, I have seen when looking down some have the tierod and drag link parallel and some don't. What is to be done here? I have been looking and not quite coming with all the answers. The frame is like a 32 frod frame not a gasser or anything odd. Thanks for any help.

2. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Yes to all that. The pitman arm should be as level as possible, but you can bend it. The drag link should be parallel to the tie rod or very close. It's great IF you can do all that without interference with the motor mounts, exhaust, wishbone and panhard bar. Chassis Engineering makes a great box mount with location instructions for a 32 frame.

http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/vega-steering-adapter/

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

More precisely, the pitman arm's travel should be as level as possible. The arms are often bent down or up, but the box needs to be mounted so as to ensure the travel of the arm is dead level.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Don't forget.. the Vega box has a detent during the movement that indicates the center of the exact travel of your arm. This also allows your wheels to remain straight during driving in a straight line. Move the Vega box with a wrench or your fingers and you can feel this detent.