Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vega Box Seal Replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GregF, Aug 27, 2012.

1. GregF

GregF

Can the pittman (output) shaft seal be replaced without disassembling the box? Also does anyone see a downside of drilling a small hole in the side cover where the adjusting screw is to vent the pressure from the box?

2. A better solution to venting the box is to drill the bolt that goes through into the cavity, it's the one on the inside of the box. I drilled mine almost the length of the bolt and then in from one of the flats on the bolt head. It's a good solution and relieves pressure that builds up from heat from the headers, etc.

3. rrthiv

rrthiv
    from S.E.Ohio

X2 on the vent for the box,easy to do...

4. i think you can replace the seal , i believe i have done it. do you have the seal part #? i have it around here somewhere

5. GregF

GregF

I found the seal part numbers from the archives from the posts by Digger Dave and yourself on this thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85809&highlight=vega+seal

"Originally Posted by 36-3window
    someone posted these numbers on here once:

Cr 9818 for the pitman arm shaft seal

cr 6130 for the input shaft seal
    "

"Reply by Digger Dave
    Some more Vega Seal and Bearing Numbers ...

Upper pitman shaft bearing - Torrington - B-1412
    Lower pitman shaft bearing - *** Torrington B-1616
    *** This bearing MIGHT replace the bushing; PN-7809250.
    B-1616 - Outside diam. = 1.250
    (outside bearing housing a light press fit in box)

Input shaft (to steering col.) Seal - Federal Mogul (National Oil Seals) - #7399S
    Output Pitman shaft Seal - Federal Mogul (National Oil Seals) - #342517

Number of bearings (balls) in the reciprocating worm - 24 in each track (total 48)
    I have found boxes missing a couple!"

I found the 342517 seals are available at Summit Racing. Thank you for your help!