Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Vega box questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drew1987, May 19, 2017.

1. drew1987

drew1987

Howdy gents

can anyone tell me the direction of rotation of the pitman arm shaft on a vega box compared to the steering wheel? That is, if I rotate the wheel clockwise, and was looking at the pitman arm from where the engine sits, would it be clockwise or counter clockwise?

I ask cause it may be a good temporary (that is, a decade or so) solution for a 49-54 chevy sedan. I assume a 2nd gen camaro pitman and a model A 1" ball will will hook one up to my linkage. My 54 box is gorgeous, but I truly would love PS

Respectfully, I don't want to debate me above. Just want to know if the rotation is right and be aware of any major reasons a vega box wouldn't be gorgeous in a 49-54 chevy car

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. looking at it from above....counterclockwise

3. May look gorgeous; but kinda light duty for a '54.

4. drew1987

drew1987

You mean counter clockwise if I'm looking at the tip of the Pitman shaft, down the splines? It rotates counterclockwise when the steering wheel is rotated clockwise?

Also, I'm talking about a 1954 Chevrolet car front suspension, not truck. Car weighs about 3200 pounds… That said, Vega is still light? Astro van supposedly does the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

605 box would work..Mounted in position if you turn the steering shaft clock wise and the Pittman arm pointing down the arm should go forward turning the wheels to the right..

6. drew1987

drew1987

Oh wow! And they aren't expensive. Thanks for that!

It seems that, as long as the control arm bushings are going to continue to be produced, I can stick with this front end. I LOVE the way it sits. Like the ride. Jaguar would be awesome but it's major surgery to stay as low as I am and I give up the "old school" ride characteristic that I like. Just would like power steering and ideally less than 2.5 turns lock to lock

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. drew1987

drew1987

Hey again

The 605 box appears to be designed to have the pitman shaft point straight down. While the 90° turn in the steering shafts' rotational input is correct, the "downward" is wrong. A 49-54 chevy has the pitman shaft cone out pointing toward the engine, meaning a 1/4 rotation of the gear would be needed. Question is, if lines could still be hooked up, and it could be mounted, can it be used "on its side?" I can't imagine why not, the steering fluid is what Lubes it and is under pressure therefore won't leak.

The only thing is... it looks like it's for a Malibu or s10. Those had the tie rods ahead of the front cross member ("front steer") while 49-54 chevy cars are "rear steer"

8. why do they call them "Vega" boxes anyway...?

Kidding!! I'm kidding.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  9. drew1987

drew1987

I don't get it :-/

10. Poking fun at the fact that somebody asked that question in earnest a few months back, A Capella

*some feelings were bruised

11. drew1987

drew1987

Oh! Got it.

So what's some thoughts on using a 605 on its side? Seems to be pretty much what the Astro van gear is. If I do this, the brackets will all be custom anyway.

What about a pitman? I'd need what I believe to be a 1" ball. I think a camaro manual steering pitman and a model A ball can be used together and then "reindexed" to work on an Astro van, probly the same deal here