Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vega box on 32 rails Question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by k-member, Oct 20, 2006.

1. k-member

k-member

I have only installed mustang and F-1 type boxs to mostly model A rails, but I need some info on measurments on installing a Vega box on a 32 frame. The frame is allready boxed and I have all the parts, spring on top of axle. Where should I put the box? How far back from the front crossmember should it be? Thanks for the help.

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Here's what I did on my A.
    Mock up suspension with tierod. Install the arm to the box. I then clamped the box to the frame so that my draglink was parallel with the tierod and the arm parallel to the frame with the weight of the eng/trans,etc.
    Mine isn't 'exactly' parallel as I'm using a tierod end on the passenger side with the hole in it to mount the draglink. But it works well with very little effort and no bumpsteer. Also made a panhard bar running from driver's side framerail to pass. side wishbone that is close to the same plane as the draglink.

3. Retrorod

Retrorod

We did the same. I made a mount plate first and just slid the box around until the tierod was as close to parallel as possible. Originally we weren't going to run a panhard bar but when I saw how much "side-to-side" the shackles allowed (all new bushings) we also put a bar on it. Steers really good, no bump steer at all.

4. brandon

brandon

on my last a on 32 rails....the box was mounted right at the driverside motor mount bracket....seems like i had to notch the motor mount bracket to make it fit where i wanted it....and the top bolt on the box was above the rail ......my newest model a is the same way ....with the notch and the top bolt....hopefully you 'll see what i'm talking about in the picture...though the box hasn't been mounted yet......brandon

Attached Files:

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Keith, give me a call. I'll give ya the straight scoop.

6. you mus be working on jefrys car again
    i think jimmy has that setup on the sedan call him and have him drive it up

7. k-member

k-member

OK, so there isn't an actual measurement, I just want the draglink and tierod as close to parallel as possible? That was easy, I just don't have a drag link yet, so I will mock up a fake one for the time being out of a piece of pipe. Now another question, it has the stock steering arms on the spindles and which is better the tierod with the extra hole or should I just cut of the stock steering arms and use the bolt on ones with the double hole on the pass side arm?
    Seams to me I have heard of one working better than the other. I would almost like to keep the stock arms, but I don't know, I never played around with cross steering before.

8. k-member

k-member

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I like the stock arms too, but didn't have any at the time. Maybe find a factory spindle with the two holes in it.
    Actually, I may have one now if interested.

10. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I am using stock spindles, which have been heated up cherry red and bent up to clear my split wish bones. I am using a 6 1/2" pitman arm (center to center of the holes). The front of the box is 8" from the rear of the front x-member to the big nut on the front of the Vega box...

11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'm sure that I'll get shot down by some of you guys but what the hell. On a deuce we locate the top bolt of the Vega box 11-11.5 inchs back from the crossmember center, the center if the top bolt down 3/4 inch from the frame top and the pitman arm at a slight downward angle. Thats the way we do it.

12. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Mine is simalar to Brandon but no notch for motor mount ...

Attached Files: