Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vargo drag strip reunion 2010

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by purpleflameguy, Aug 31, 2010.

1. purpleflameguy

purpleflameguy

There will be NO official Vargo reunion this year. The guy who owns the land has taken over and is trying to run his own reunion just to make money. Joe McNally( who has always been working with the Boy Scout Troop devoted to Motorsports) informed me that any flyers or rumors that are heard about a Vargo Reunion this year are bogus. Not affiliated with the Original Vargo Reunion. Joe said that they are working on having something for next year, But nothing for 2010. Any questions or comments you can contact Joe @ onthelineent.msn.com
    Denny Spohn

2. the shadow

the shadow

If there is a car show and it's on the old vargo dragstrip and Vargo allumni are invited to come with there memrobilia & cars , I'm sure people will still come out. It's just not the show joes gonna put on. It's kinda like being invited out to dinner by 2 different people...one guy wants to take you to Kansas city prime for steak, the other wants to take you to Kens steak house because they sell steaks that taste like kansas city's steaks, were are you gonna go????

3. For seafood ;)

4. Garrett331

Garrett331
    from Pa

You might want to check with the Boy Scouts on that. The Vargo Website says this year's show benefits a troop that does exist, (Motorsports Explorer Post BSA 1320 does not). Don't trust me on my first post, check for yourself.

5. George T G

George T G

:eek:And this year there is other competion. Maple Grove Swap Meet moved to that day and the Pumpkin run In Del.

6. ONEBADMK8

ONEBADMK8
    from NJ

Heres an interesting Email by Buddy Mike Andrews got back after ripping this Guy a new one, he said I can post it so here it is:

7. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

I had a long talk with 2 guys at the wheels of time show about this event. Seam like someone used the BSA as a front and keep the money for themselfs. Now I don't know if this is fact or faction and I'm not taking anyone's side here but if someone did do this, they should be held accountable for such a lowlife act, using the BSA to make money or steal money, which ever way you want to look at it.
    What I do know is that when I was at the show, I didn't see any kids in BSA uniforms or even signs saying anything about it being a BSA event or support the BSA nothing!

So what's the deal here:
    was the BSA involved or not?
    or did someone pull a fast one for the past 9 years?

8. George T G

George T G

I know one thing Joe is keep a low profile. Didn't see him at WOT or Hot Rod Hoedown. He did have a box of flyers explaining no show this year.

9. ONEBADMK8

ONEBADMK8
    from NJ

Looks like someone pulled a fast one to me.

10. I hope no one would use the Boy Scouts to get money for themselves.

11. ONEBADMK8

ONEBADMK8
    from NJ

Well if He did Im sure he will pay in MANY ways.

12. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

somewhere on the Hamb there's another thread about Vargo reunion and it's talked about there too.
    later off to that thing called work
    Wayne

13. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

Gotta say it wasn't necessary to use the boy scout thing, everybody would have come out if it was for profit or not...over the years it just turned into a good show on a usually nice November weekend when there weren't many other events. But the last two years, wow, it's been filled to the brim with "interesting" choices, with many having absolutely nothing to do with Vargo, the 60's or even classic cars. Nobody was putting in any criteria, so all comers welcome I guess, and it got big and out of hand, so that's the real issue. I would've paid to get in regardless.

So why even use a bogus front of the BSA unless you're getting a deal from the landowner becasue of that? The cool history of Vargo was the draw. Stupid.

14. George T G

George T G

:(The last few years I think it was more about $$ and a guy with his 2010 Camaro will pay just like us with the 'Rods ect. so "lets fill it up".

15. George T G

George T G

Yes that is the one but I'll go for the 'Grove:D

16. crazzy_mc

crazzy_mc
    from Lansdale

This is copied from a post by Joe himself on a different thread;
    From Joe McNally, I don’t hide behind fictitious user names.

I am fed up with conjecture from the uninformed or misinformed or people who think they can take potshots at someone from a distance.

I’ll start with blown69rat…good name. You sir, are either a liar or were greatly misinformed by someone. Dan Devery has received fully half of the profits from every show. That’s 50%, not a flat cost as you wrote. We have the records.
    Who the blazes are you to ask for proof of where the money goes. Are you a Post member? Volunteer? Or just someone who doesn’t understand what a slander suit entails? What do you think purchased the new 28’ trailer, the dragster, the tools, the canopies, etc. Did you think the sound system, the band, the trophies, the dash plaques, etc. were free? Look up net profits.

Let me educate you…POST 1320 was never a Boy Scout Troop. It is an Explorer Post. A branch of Scouting for older boys and girls interested in career specialization. We don’t wear the $130.00 Scout uniform to work on cars, clean up a track, or run a show. Teenagers prefer a “racing T” and jeans.
    Did you notice all of the brightly colored Event Staff shirts at the show? I suppose you wouldn’t mention them – too positive for your postings. FACT: The event was created, built up and run by Post 1320!!!!! Post 1320 was originally chartered in 1995 and had to be chartered during last years show or Dan Devery wouldn’t have let us use the property. WE PROVIDED THE INSURANCE THROUGH NATIONAL COUNCIL FROM BUCKS COUNTY.

You say that you know who is going to run the show this year but you can’t say who they are. WHAT !! Post 1320 never hid, I never hid, Bob never hid, Zak, Corey, Ed, Ginny, Tony, Wayne, etc. never hid. So how much of the show are you involved in now?

The Vargo show was never about money to those who created it. It was about friendships, reunions, reminiscing. To be able to make something for young people to use and hopefully continue the hobby was a bonus. As to the little stuff, the road in is narrow we can’t widen it! We had 16 people on staff plus some volunteers from other groups. We faced a wet ground problem…any POSITIVE suggestions?

Next: Mr. Not Applicable. Methinks ye protests too much. It is a long ride from Sacramento to Neshaminy Church for meetings! During all those meetings a financial report was given to every member in attendance. No wonder you want to remain anonymous your posting is so radically off base you don’t deserve an answer.

HOW DARE YOU TRY TO TARNISH THE GOOD NAME MY FATHER GAVE ME.
    HOW DARE YOU TRY TO DEFAME THE NAME I’VE BUILT ON FOR 60 YEARS.

To you and anyone else who thinks they can sit by their computer and try to point fingers by assumption – Be a man, call me. Better yet face me..
    Joe McNally…215-674-3067
    <!-- / message -->

17. crazzy_mc

crazzy_mc
    from Lansdale

The Motorsports Explorers are an Explorer Post, Explorers are a BSA affiliate for people over 18 and/or kids who want to learn a specific skill. They are registered as a Post, through the BSA. Joe is the registered Leader of the Post, Dan is not connected to the post in any way besides us 'renting' his land for the show. Neither Joe nor Dan are part of the Vargo family, Joe is close to a few of them and has known them since the 60's. Dan's father bought the farm from the Vargos and gave it Dan. The bank account and the equipment are all registered under 'Post 1320', just as any BSA or other organization would, if the post were to fold I honestly do not know what would happen to everything, I guess we would donate it to some other group, probably the BSA troop we started from (?) The post is going nowhere, so thats really not an issue. Again, Dan has no affiliation with the post, so he would have no say in any matters. Dan was handed cash every year as his payment and yes, thats in the financial statements, he should be paying tax on it, but I am sure he does not. As far as the post, we are not 'non-profit', we need to have $ to run it, just like any group. No one draws a check or profits but there is profit in the bank, the $ is all used for equipment/events. Non-profit companies have a payroll and hand out or spend every penny so the company does not profit (the members do) We are the opposite.<o:p></o:p>
    If you are questioning how the post operates, you should be questioning all BSA, GSA, and so on. We all do it the same way. If you want more info, feel free to call Joe at the number he left on his post.<o:p></o:p>

18. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

Thank You for taking the time to answer the post. I wasn't trying to be a know it all, but to me somethings just didn't sound like it was on the up and up.
    I did search the web about the Explorers Motorsprotes 1320 and found on Grundy Weekly Reader site called "Fostering the Hobby" after reading it sounds like your doing the right thing, helping kids of today.
    Good Luck with your event
    Wayne

19. crazzy_mc

crazzy_mc
    from Lansdale

20. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

crazzy mc just as a point of interest. Explorers are 14-20, male or female. I am an explorer leader for over 30 years, a good cause.

21. Garrett331

Garrett331
    from Pa

I am confused. The bucks county BSA says that post 1320 is not chartered, but once was, and that they have no intention of reissuing a charter for undislosed reasons. That is verifiable directly from the BSA as previously mentioned.
    Does Post 1320 now exist without BSA sanction as a for profit entity rather than as an affiliate of the BSA's non-profit umbrella?

22. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

23. Garrett331

Garrett331
    from Pa

That's what I mean. Something is not right here. It sounds like Post 1320 exists, but as a for profit entity for adults rather than as a non profit affiliate of the Boy Scouts as it represents itself to be. I wonder why the BSA has chosen to distance themselves from 1320?
    I suppose this is all immaterial as the Vargo show is next weekend, and apparently it will benefit kids rather than a greedy landowner.

24. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

So, the bottom line is.......the Vargo reunion is definitely on?
    How early should we show up in order to avoid a major jam up getting in?
    Regardless of traffic congestion,internal politics, sponsorship or whatever may go on behind the scenes, I've always enjoyed this event and look forward to it.

25. Garrett331

Garrett331
    from Pa

Officially 8am. I talked to group running it, the scouts are camping overnight, volunteers are to be in place by 7. They are very aware of previous years bottle necks, and say they have taken steps to correct them. So if you get there at 7, there should be no problem.
    We'll see how it actually works out on the 6 th