Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vanishing Fuel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Ardinger, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Oh puhleeze. LOL!!!

You claimed non-ethanol fuel wasn't available in California.

I found a link at pure-gas.org that suggests, at least, there are roughly twenty four (24) locations that have it. Then you whined they are too far away, or something.

I posted that link in answer to somebody else who merely asked if it was available. Now you get your panties in a twist? I don't get it.

Good try though!

2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

And the solution!

Bones

3. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get it, but you may be over complicating it. In Oregon etc., the non-ethanol premium (not all premium is non ethanol, but all non-ethanol is premium) isn’t to cater to the hot rod and old car market. It’s for lawn mowers, boats, etc. that sit a while between uses, even thought the market share is puny. The fact that it also works for our cars is a fortunate by product as far as I can tell. I don’t know anyone in my local area that uses ethanol fuel in their old cars or small engines anymore.

Speaking of California, why can’t I buy a can of 1-shot paint off an open shelf there? Just messing with you now.

john

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Give it a rest. You take yourself far too seriously.

Seriously, get over bashing California, and move on. We get it. You want to be political, but the board does not allow that, so you lash out in other ways.

You are the one who does not live here, and has no idea what is actually happening here. How about you stop?

I never once whined about anything. I simply stated facts.

Here is another fact: Every single one of my vintage vehicles has been tuned to run flawlessly on E10. I never have issues with fuel, largely because I actually drive or ride everything I own, and on a regular basis. If it has to get stored, or worked on, it gets drained. There is no need for me to drive 90 to 180 miles to buy fuel, in a can, for big money. I can stop at any station I want. Imagine that! If only there was a way to duplicate my work!

This is present-day reality. You can either adapt to it, or get left behind. I suspect you will do the latter.

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Back to the original subject, a week ago after parking my work truck I put a cap over the Q-jet vent tube, hoping it might keep the fuel in the bowl longer. Normally after sitting it takes 3-4 short (2-3 second) cranks. Yesterday, after sitting a week, it started on the second. Really not a conclusive test, but encouraging. I'm going to keep this test going, just posting it now to keep you on the edge of your seats. :)

20201229_152008_resized.jpg

Truck64 likes this.
  6. Rick Coast

Rick Coast

On my T coupe I installed a new red top holly electric pump with a thick pad under it for sound deadening but I can't stand how loud it is. Same on my Airflow . I took it off the T and put the mech pump back on.I will just deal with it.It was louder than engine with roadster pipes.

7. I ran an electric Carter pump (full time) on a car I had and it sounded like a helicopter in my trunk. I did my best to isolate the pump from the frame rail but it still made a racket. This was a 'street' pump, not a race version. When I owned the car, I bought a second Carter to keep in the trunk. Never needed it, sold the car, kept the spare pump ... built a run stand for engines and used it for that. Sold the run stand and kept the pump ... and there she sits. I presently have a Quadrajet that is giving me problems and I believe it has leaky well plugs ... I'll keep cranking her 'til I get around to dealing with it :) I could use the Carter as a prime pump but I don't think it's really needed as it would only bandaid the true problem (if indeed I am correct about the well plugs leaking).

8. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I have been trying the suggestions in post #4, about the “crank and wait” technique. Tried it on my carbureted old cars. It seemed to improve starting on all of them, some more than others. One has a quadrajet which had the updates to prevent leakdown and is still the poorest for infrequent use cold start for me. Modern fuels do not help either.