Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vanishing Americana--the drive in movie theater

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by povertyflats, May 5, 2010.

1. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Thiis ^^^^ is still open , only on sat. nites during the summer[earlville]
    dave

Model T1 likes this.
  2. Model T1

Model T1

Thanks Dave. If we ever get moved back to Illinoizzz maybe we can check it out. We'll probably sit in the front seat and watch the movie!:rolleyes:

3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

yep we passed the back seat days a few years ago
    dave

Model T1 likes this.
  4. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

My son tells me they built a new drive in theater on the north side of Denver.
    This has to be the first time I can recall of a new one being built.

5. I think we should tear down shopping malls and replace them with race tracks, drag strips, and drive ins!

clem, 296ardun, brad2v and 1 other person like this.
  6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

Mohawk trail drive in on Rte 2 west Charlemont Ma is 4 miles from my house , it has been closed for a lot of years , J S Rae now owns the site they are a drilling and blasting company , the screen and everything else that was there is long gone , all though the new owner has renovated the old sign building next to the drive way and saved it from falling down , used to go to Northfield drive in many years ago , was glad to see it was saved and upgraded for modern movie showings , also used to be a Deerfield Ma drive in also it showed Adult movies towards the end of its run lol , now a yankee candle building sits on its former site

7. Model T1

Model T1

We sit in the back seat now when we go to a drive in so we can stretch our legs out and get comfortable.

8. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

We have 2 fairly close to me. Me and my wife were high school sweet hearts, then I screwed everything up. Anyway, we got back together 25 yrs later and married. First date was to the drive in.

9. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Had forgotten all about the Deerfield. Whatever it was that they pushed at the concession stand that was supposed to taste like beer without the alcohol was best forgotten anyway.

They also tried to extend the season by renting little propane heaters to hang on he inside of the car side window. As I recall they were about as effective as their beverage, without a hot honey it could get cold quick.

Ed

Model T1 likes this.
  10. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

The Movie Manor Motel in Monte Vista, CO hosted the Hot Rod Dirt Drags.
    Place was as clean as your Mom's house, the staff was very gracious, & the green chili breakfast rocks!

The hotel is "V" shaped & they have 2 drive in screens that face the rooms. Each room is wired for the movie sound. So, depending on which room you're in, you might see a different movie.

Pretty groovy place. Mike the Mgr is a pretty kool kat that digs hanging with us hooligans.

Its worth the drive to the SW corner of the state.

Attached Files:

Model T1 likes this.
  11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Movie Manor is a destination for a lot of car club cruises in the southwest.

12. Stardust drive inn in Morden, Manitoba , Canada was saved by local fund raisers to upgrade to digital since 35 mm is not available any more. Small city of 10 thousand now but about 3000 when i grew up there. Was the place to go on the week ends. My 70 Torino made it there last summer drive inn.jpg

296ardun likes this.
  13. I am 33 I have been to two drive inns

The first time was with my mom and dad in about 1994 with a car club.

My dad put the speaker on the window and people kept walking into the cord and hard!

He finally asked the last person "Haven't you ever been to a dive in before?"

At that point he realized no one was using the speakers, and that the were playing the sound on the radio.

The second time was about two years ago at the Unadilla drive in to see American Graffiti.

I had to to take a radio because they no longer have speakers and my 53 Chevy doesn't have a radio.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Americana indeed. As if the US had sole claim to drive in theaters.
    We had plenty of them in Canada and growing up I have some fond memories of going to them.
    Hiding friends in the trunk to sneak a few extras in, having to wait till very late for the film to start because in some parts of Canada dark doesn't come in the summer till almost 11 PM.
    Dusk to dawn features and all sorts of other drive in fun.
    The old drive ins are like in the US now, mostly gone.
    Kind of sad, but good memories that kids growing up now will never experience.

15. Utahvette

Utahvette

Mentioned earlier , The Georgetown Drive In located in southern Indiana is about as nostalgic as they come. Situated on a grassy hillside and featuring a vintage snack bar , it is a "must do" whenever I'm in the area.

Attached Files:

brad2v likes this.
  16. Utahvette

Utahvette

Of course the Georgetown Drive in has a playground for the kids too.

Attached Files:

17. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

Best idea I`ve heard in a long time.

18. skipperman

skipperman

19. Deuces

Deuces

Went to the Ford-Wyoming drive-in last night to check out the new Jurassic Park movie.... Price was 10.50 each for me and the better half.... Plus we brought our own pizza and pop..... The movie was ok.... :rolleyes::cool: