Register now to get rid of these ads!

Van Go.........GNRS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Church, Jan 24, 2011.

1. The van looked amazing in person. It was one of the highlights of the show... I'm so grateful I had the opportunity to see that laborious paint job and , for lack of a better expression, gorgeous wooden interior, in person and under the lights.
    Wow doesn't say enough. If not my favorite, it shares rare space with them.
    I like Malcom's comment too.

2. That's what i'm talking about!!!!!! I bet everybody's jaw dropped when they saw it in person,cause the first pic's you put on here doesn't show the roof at all. Talk about going the EXTRA MILE!!!!!! Just curious....your design,on the paint? Or did you just tell him to surprise you?
    Can't say it enough Coby........WOW!!!!!

3. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Bob, if you have something in mind (like I did), then I don't think it's wise to give Tim free reign. Maybe he can back me up on this. He is so forward thinking, and out of the box, that you might get back something underslung, with center steer, 6 wheels and solar powered. The ability to toss ideas back and forth with him was a tremendous learning experience, and they ALWAYS ended up in a better place than when they started. I have no problem saying the guy's a genius.

I think it was more difficult to show some restraint on the paint and not over power the mods with flash, flake and crazy candies and such. At the same time, that sure would have saved Tim a ton of time (and hair) in making this bitch straight!

4. I think it's like telling a pinstriper what you want. I always say,"you're the artist....amaze me!". But then again....that could go VERY wrong! hahaha!

5. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

It's a work of art. Stunning!

6. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Exactly Bob, but within reason. I chose the exact green I wanted, and it's NOT a color he would have selected. We would both pick and choose our battles, but it was always for the benefit of THE VAN.

Tim had plenty of room to play as well. The van kind of dictated where the panels would go, but all the rounded corners, thicks and thins etc were Tim. Hardwood floors were my idea, but he completely took it an ran with it. In that instance, I wasn't going to stop him.

7. Conder

Conder

Right. I never would have built a van on my own. I never would've painted this color on anything and I never really liked wood in cars. But...

IT WAS COBY'S VAN.

The true challenge for me in every single job I do for someone else (ESPECIALLY this one) is to collaborate successfully with them. Coby provided elements to draw from, like his own artwork, style, taste in furniture, architecture, cars etc. and a list of things he thought was important to him. I suppose if I was rich I'd just build (metalflake)Panheads, (metalflake)Mid-Sixties Dragsters and (metalflake)Gasser '55 Chevys for myself. Every day. For the rest of my life.

I've learned volumes more in my career and have had fantastic experiences (mostly) creating WITH other people. IT FUCKING RULES.

Besides, I like going places I've never been. That's what "custom" means right? Thanks again Coby!

8. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Yo you killed it with that van man.....Congrats that shit is badass bro...

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Seen it in person and seen it again and again......could not take it all in at the GNRS it is an amazing van. Conder if I ever win the lottery I would love to have you paint my Dragster and Roadster.

10. WOW ! This Van is amazing,what workmanship in this.TopNotch

11. amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. sure brings back thoughts of good times in the 70's when i was deep into the van scene. you guys really pulled off something lowering the thing because i have seen many of these that were started and never finished because they are really not designed to be lowered. take a huge bow dude it rocks!!

13. Conder

Conder

I'll build this sucker. Really.

*6 wheels
    *Center steer
    *Solar
    *Blah blah etc. etc.

There's a save-able early sixties "Falcon" Econoline at Brians Auto Salvage out here... Anybody on here from Hot Wheels?

Attached Files:

14. That is just warped Tim!

15. MIKE P.

MIKE P.

Man, That's TITS!

16. Mojo

Mojo

[​IMG]

Really love the van, and the logo both, so I thought i'd try a "real" version of it.

17. plan9

plan9

nothing short of amazing Coby, you must be on cloud 9 man!!! congratulations, job well done ;D

when you do the screen prints on wood, id like to purchase one. just let me know.

Mojo - thats tits!

18. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I absolutely LOVE this Van to DEATH, Fantastic!

Nick.

19. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

Nice job Mojo !

20. sololobo

sololobo

Instant historic classic!! Stunning design and engineering on your vehicle. Totally in awe, thanx for the great rush! ~sololobo~

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  21. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

x2!

22. baby loves chrome

baby loves chrome

Love it Coby!!!!!!!!!
    Congrats on the awards.
    Any words I can think of don't do it justice.
    Great!! OUTSTANDING!!! WOW!!!
    Love the wood...

23. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

WOW!!!! Thats funtastic!

24. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

Found a new desktop for my work computer! that is so badass.:eek:

25. Ebert

Ebert

Awesome, Coby! Hope to run into you at Pomona like last year! This thing ROCKS!

26. Damn Mojo thats just too cool

27. lol....Mojo, seriously, the wife just walked past and glancing at the monitor she asked me if that was a van someone had cut-up to spell that. =) You gots Photoshop skills bro.

And Coby, I know a comment from a newbie butt like mine don't weight much, but craftsmanship like yours and Conder's is what made my first trip to the GNRS a mind blowing experience! Hope my drool didn't warp them wood floors! The back of that thang is beggin for a whole can a pledge, a pair of head to toe footie PJ's and an all out run down NC's Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap!

28. Coby, do you have suspension build pics that you want to share? I know what it takes to get a front steer van to lay flat. We about killed ourselves building our van Snow Sled.
    Nice work! Congrats to all involved.

29. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I had to rub my eyes twice at that pic...awesome

30. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Conder, I dare you I double dare you to build this . Ha,ha. Man, you shure have a great ideas. This one is kind of crazy. But who else would have dreamed up something like this. \

Cobys van is incredible. Nice, Very Nice. Brian