Register now to get rid of these ads!

valve help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lilrobo, Feb 17, 2013.

1. lilrobo

lilrobo
    from ky

i need some hep guys .. i been told that i need to adjust my valves when engine is hot ,,, my problem is when motor is hot they are fine , its only when i start it cold that they are loud ,,, can i go out after it sits for a few days and adjust them then and will they be ok that way and not too tight after it gets hot ??

thanks
    p.s. its on my 1958 biscayne 235

2. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Why adjust them if they are fine at operating temp? Leave well enough alone, I always say!

3. lilrobo

lilrobo
    from ky

cause when you first start it up i have a few real loud

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Are they hydraulic lifters? If they collapse when the car sits overnight you need new lifters. Or, let the engine warm up and learn to live with the noise until it does. Changing the adjustment won't help.

5. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

If you adjust them cold, you could end up with some too tight, which has "burnt valve" written all over it. Your lifters are probably "bleeding off" over night. Warm it up, shut it off and pull valve covers. I use a 2 foot length of heater hose as a stethoscope and listen to each rocker as I loosen and then tighten. Take up the lash and add about 3/4 turn. This will "bury" the push rod into the lifter. If it is still noisy first thing in the morning, you have some bad lifters. I agree with Hard Top, if it's good at temp, turn the radio up when you start it.

6. lilrobo

lilrobo
    from ky

They are new lifters,, i just rebuild the motor and added ned lifters, , i was told to go back with solid, ,, because the hyd are not as good as the origanal

Thanks

7. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

Uhhhhh . . . . did I read this right??

Not "solid" lifters on a "hydraulic" cam by any remote chance??

Take care, K

8. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Are you running hydraulic lifters on a cam ground with a "solid" lifter profile. Or vice versa?

Racer Brown and others over the years have made it clear that the ramps on hydraulic grinds are different than solid lifter grinds.

I thought I was dreaming when I just stumbled on this Hot Rod article. I have to doubt the accuracy of the statement.
    http://www.hotrod.com/techfaq/hrdp_0510_solid_rollers_on_hydraulic_cams/viewall.htmlFWIW here is a link to a post by someone claiming a Comp Cams tech said it was OK to run solids on a hydraulic cam.

9. lilrobo

lilrobo
    from ky

no no its all hyd, ,,i was told to,got back with a solid setup, ,,, i am sure that the shop that rebuild my motor used a hyd cam and lifters, , it was in a kit, ,, i have adjusted them several times, ,, when the motor is hot but after is sets for a dew days, , i hear a few, ,,,

Thanks

10. 52HardTop

52HardTop

If they're hydraulics you may need to do a little work on them. If I remember correctly, Tom Langdon has a tech article on his web sight. It explains what to do with a noisy hydraulic lifter. They may be catching air and keeping the oil from being pumped into them. Again, if memory is correct. It may be something about filing a small notch on the side of the liter to allow oil to flow?
    Dom

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What kind of engine is this? What cam was installed? Valve springs?

12. 52HardTop

52HardTop

He says it's a 58 with a 235. Also says it's hydraulic.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The last one I built I set them when it was assembled on the stand and had no problems.