Register now to get rid of these ads!

valve guide seal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 215slowpoke, Jun 21, 2005.

1. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

I have a inline that was recently rebuilt and a couple of the valve guide seals have come off. Will this harm the motor in any way? Is this also the reason i am getting oil out the breather?
    I dont really want to take it apart because i am going to have a new head built for the motor but i will if need be.

Thanks, Travis

2. Steve

Steve

doubt that that would cause oil coming out of the breather. Without the seals you could get oil down into the cylinders so you will burn some oil.

3. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

Thanks steve, i know about the burning oil.
    I dont have alot of knowledge when it comes to motors compared to some so im not sure if the compression of the motor will build pressure in the valve cover and if the valve guide seal would even prevent that.

Anyone else?

4. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

It wouldn't hurt the motor,but it will smoke more. You can put valve seals on it without much trouble,in a couple hours time. You could change valve springs at the same time,if they are a little tired. sparky

5. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

I know i can do it in a couple hours but if its not necessary i wont because im having another head built for it. This motor only has about 5k miles on it so it doesnt need any new parts......yet.

6. I know I'm old but now I'm totally confused.
    You have a rebuilt motor with only 5K on it that has lost some valve guide seals and has blow by. Your not worried about it because your building a new head for it. Then you say it doesn't need any new parts.
    About all I can say is don't run it out of oil untill you get it fixed.
    Sounds to me like your wallett got over hauled and you got Hosed.
    The Wizzard

7. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

I DO feel like i got the shaft.
    Im trying to find out what causes all of this and thats why i ask here. I know there are some very knowledgable people here that might have some insight to my problems or maybe have gone through this.
    I would really like to find out what causes the blow by out the breather. I have been told that the problem is in the head but i dont know exactly what. I am going to have someone else build a new head for it with a few other things done to it that i should have had done the first time around. I dont want to build this head because i dont really want any down time and i have a line on a good head i can use for it. I check everthing often so i dont think it will run out of oil.

What i meant about not needing any new parts is that i dont want to put any new parts on this head because they are all new. sorry for the missunderstand about want and need.

thanks, Travis

8. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

you sure seem to have a boatload of issues for a fresh engine. did you do a wet & dry compression test? leakdown test? valve stem seals just don't fall off:mad: , did you get kissed when you got screwed?

9. OK, I'm with you now. Let me see if I can explain this for you. Blow-by is caused from crank case pressuer, not valve guide seals. It's the result of the compresion that should stay on top of the rings getting into the pan and that lost pressuer is what causes the blow-by. Valve guide seals cause oil smoke out the exhaust pipe. I belive you have 2 seperate issues with this motor. Now, if you do a good valve job and nothing to help keep the rings sealed you will still have blow-by. If it were I, I'd go have a talk about Waranty with your first rebuilder. Throwing more money in the wrong direction won't cure your problem. You paid for a rebuild, go back and get your money's worth.
    The Wizzard

10. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

Well, i just got off the phone with the machine shop and im going to pull the motor and take it to him when we both have time. Its not really something i have time to get into right now and he said he would take care of all the problems. He didnt want to give me any definate answers to why all of this is happening but he knows that i have to have it fixed.
    I have not done a compression tests of any type thats why i am asking for what causes this and maybe some advice as to where to start. Looks like i will keep the driving down to a minimum and wait and see.

Thansk for the responses.

He did cuddle with me after he screwed me if that counts for anything.

Travis

11. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

Thanks. Thats what i just did.
    Im not very knowledgable with internals of motors so thanks for the explanation. It all makes sense now.
    I want to have another head built anyway with some different things done to it.

Travis

12. If you had the car here we'd do what is called a leak down test. Any quality repair shop would do the same. It tells you how well the rings are seated and weather the valves are leaking and what ones. Very easy to do and ends all the guesing. You could very easly have only one cylender that needs attention.
    The Wizzard