Register now to get rid of these ads!

Valve guide remover question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bedfordboys, Apr 5, 2011.

1. bedfordboys

bedfordboys
    from bedford va

I have a early 21 stud that the guides are stuck. I have a KD-861 puller(I think thats the number on it) im gonna try to post a pic. The valve head is to big for the cup on the tool, I was able to remove a few without the tool and the cup sets nice in the valve seat. Also the other end of the tool is to small to go around the spring to get under the guide. Everyone I talk to says that is the right tool. Is it? Be easy on me if it is this is my first flathead. Thanks

Attached Files:

• 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      128.2 KB
      Views:
  2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The only tool I've ever used is the old standard "crowbar".

3. bedfordboys

bedfordboys
    from bedford va

There is only so much you can do with a bar without damaging the valve. The motor looks to be in good shape and should be a good runner after it gets the proper cleaning. Dont want to spend the clams for valves if i aint got to.

4. F&J

F&J

Your stationary end part looks different? Here is a KD my Dad used in his repair shop in the 50s. I guess he made different valve size cups as this one is missing.

Attached Files:

5. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

phr sez>>>The only tool I've ever used is the old standard "crowbar".>>>

Almost the same here. Remove horseshoe valve keeper. Turn crank and cam to lift valve. Then lift valve as further with the crowbar. Then wedge it to keep it wide open. Then fashion a homemade drift that'll reach the top of the guide, pull the wedge and pound the crap out of the drift till the guide retainer can be pulled out. Then you're almost homefree. Lift spring to insert a metal shim (~1/16-1/8" thick) between the mushroom stem and lifter. Turn the crank/cam to push lifter up a bit. Then back off the cam and insert another shim and repeat. Keep going with more shims until the valve, spring & guide come flying out of the block. 8^)

Jack E/NJ

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  6. tig master

tig master
    from up north

You should change valves and guides as you have mushroom stem valves and split guides.

Tig

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

The 681 is for v-8 60, and with the driver part # 682 I have one at home in the box, and i'm missing the driver

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You should be able to find a swap on here...the 85 tool is relatively common, while anything for 60 is scarce. Put up a post with V860 in the title!
    With the right one, you can, after you kill the retainer, drag that guide and valve right outta there no matter what. The KD tool is a lifesaver.