Register now to get rid of these ads!

Valve covers with no breather/PCV holes...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EchoOfGecko, Apr 25, 2011.

1. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

All,

Looking for some experience. I'm working on a 302 for my '54 Customline, I'd like to run some vintage looking valve covers but options are limited for the SBFs. So far, I'm considering Edelbrock 4160s (pictured).

The question is, has anyone used these or similar valve covers with no breather/oil fill/PCV holes? is it possible to add an oil fill location and low-key PCV fitting and keep the clean looks of these valve covers? Maybe add a fill tube elsewhere and maybe tap the rear with PCV valves or something? How do people run these with no holes?

Any ideas, recomendations, or alternatives to these covers would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. brandon

brandon

i ran a pair of old chevy scripts with a pvc in the side of the valve cover that is towards the intake ...worked in that application. could always drill the intake and install it in there.

3. Nice valve covers - used them on my '54.

Here is a shot from when it was going together (before pcv system installed).

[​IMG]

I drilled and tapped the inside wall (towards the back) for a nipple on both valve covers. The drivers side goes to a pcv valve then to the vacuum port. The passenger side has a tube that runs up to the air cleaner base. It works well and looks clean. Sure I have to remove a valve cover to change the oil, but that takes about 2 minutes. Call me a slave to fashion if you must. LOL

4. A lot of guys poke the PVC thoug the intake do a search for PVC tech.

For breathers get yourself some offy or moon looking breathers if you get 90 degree ot 45 degree you can mount them on the side of the cover.

5. 26 roadster

26 roadster

early SBF's 221,260 and 289 had a oil filler in the timing cover
    then tap a hole into the lifter valley for your pcv

6. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

That's exactly what I was thinking, awesome! I totally don't mind removing the cover for an oil change. Got any pics of the nipples? Did you have to add any sort of baffles on the inside to keep oil out of them?

Love your car and your engine, my 302 is probably going to look very similar only with metal flake blue instead of gold. :)

7. My set up is simple, works well and is almost completly hidden by the air cleaner.

The nipples were just hardware store stuff. Grab the right size hose to fit your PCV and take it to the hardware to get the nipple that fits.

I don't have any pics but will try to take some soon. I'm crazy busy right now.

8. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

bad pic i'll try to get another one but yes we used an early timing cover w oil fill provision and machined a ribbed tube to match those same valve covers w a push on breather ! drilled a spot for the pcv in the back of the intake ! had to drill the block for the timing cover to work also

Attached Files:

9. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

Good looking motor! So far, I think I'm leaning towards drilling a small hole towards the rear inside of each valve cover for a vaccum line fitting. I'll connect the pass side to the air cleaner, and the drivers side to a PCV valve, maybe a catch can, and then to a carb spacer with a port on it.

Anyone see any issues with this plan of attack?